AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 1738 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 /forum/post/0

Unlike sotware like COllectorz etc which make it incredibly easy to edit, change add to the dic info Media Center thinks we are a) all absolute morons and b) the one line - the title info - they let us change (no you cannot "edit" can only erase and satrt over) - you cannot simply type with a damn keyboard - you have to use their ridiculous onscreen "text messaging" type input - and there is no way to edit album cover info etc

I can change the text with my keyboard......

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball /forum/post/0

Can someone recap what is needed to RIP a full changer to a PC? What SW is needed, What format is supported, what OS is needed. I tried to read through this long thread but got lost. Would probably be a good thing if someone could recap/summarize info on the very first post.

Well you hit the nail on the head. It is confusing becasue we have been sharing our "blow by blow" experiences. I think a good "bottom line" summary would be good too. There have been a couple of posts along those lines. I'll add that much of the confusion has come from Vista issues. If you have MS MCE 2005, you can rip CDs all day, in batch mode, no problem. The issues have been: Vista, DVD rip, all of the above on XP without Media Center. So, who wants to take a stab at "The Final Word" on how to do all this stuff?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaDogg /forum/post/0

Well you hit the nail on the head. It is confusing becasue we have been sharing our "blow by blow" experiences. I think a good "bottom line" summary would be good too. There have been a couple of posts along those lines. I'll add that much of the confusion has come from Vista issues. If you have MS MCE 2005, you can rip CDs all day, in batch mode, no problem. The issues have been: Vista, DVD rip, all of the above on XP without Media Center. So, who wants to take a stab at "The Final Word" on how to do all this stuff?

To recap the VISTA issues - The XL1B changer is automatically and natively supported in VISTA - simply plug it in and load your discs and it should work - it should identify the discs loaded and allow playback - the native Vista support is in the "DVD Library" selection under "TV & Movies" section

Once in the DVD Library's section the DVD's loaded should appear with cover art (if found)

Music CD's do not display - the "My Changer" function from the Sony software is required for the music functions of the XL1B

That said Music CD's are recognized and available without the Sony Chager software - when in the DVD Library section there is a "Manage DIscs" menue choice - select that and it shows all discs in the XL1B including CD's - you can play or eject discs from this menu - it is more of a "file" interface - no art or other data - but it does show titles for discs that it was able to download data for

There is no ability to batch rip CD's in Media Center without the Sony Changer software

If you do not care about batch ripping CD's (or displaying Music CD's with album art which is only available under My Changer after installing Sony Changer software) then you should not need to do anything else

To get the XL1B to work in Media Center (Vista or XP) requires installation of the Sony Media Changer software which comes on the CD with the changer.

The indicated installation procedure is:

To first install the Firmware update available at:

Sony XL1B Driver Support LINK

Then install the Changer software form the Sony CD

And finally install the Sony Changer software update from the Sony Drivers link page above

The problems in Vista occur after installation of the Sony Changer software from the CD - upon installation and after rebooting as directed by the install program, the "My Changer" selection is then available as a menu selection

Unfortunately, although you can see it it doesn't work. It appears that when the system is rebooted as directed after install of the Sony Changer software from the Sony CD that the drivers for both the Changer and the onboard DVD are broken - the only solution is to use a restore point prior to XL1B changer software installation to restore the DVD and the Changer driver functionality

For me - I believe the following was the process to get full functionality in Vista and avoid the installation error:

1. Install the Firmware update as noted above from Sony support site

2. Install the XL1B Changer software from the Sony CD - upon completion of the installationDO NOT REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED - open Media Center and verify that "My Changer" is now a menu choice - you can try loading a few DVD's and play with the program as it should be fully functional - again DO NOT reboot before next step

3. Install the Sony Media Changer software update from the Sony XL1B Driver support site

4. NOW you should be able to reboot - and upon restarting the My Changer function should remain available and the drivers for the Changer and onboard DVD should continue to work
This should create a complete operational installation of the Sony Changer software to Vista Media Center without the errors and broken drivers

You should ALWAYS make sure you have a good, recent Restore Point before any installation like this

As noted - I believe this is the process that enables a full functional installation of Sony's XL1B software under VISTA - understand however that nothin in life is guaranteed and ymmv ....

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip /forum/post/0

I can change the text with my keyboard......

yep - guess you can - however it is still essentially almost worthless - you still cannot edit - you can only delete everything and start over - and you cannot select with mouse (or do anything with a mouse with the text box including cut and paste)

you cannot select the text or the text box witha mouse - and the only way you figure out you can use the keyboard is by typing on it even though yu don't know the text box is "selected"

silly and stupid - this is basic edit and mosue functionality that has been a part of every Windows app since practically day 1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello All

After a long discussion with the Sony support site I was told the following, "The software that shipped with the VGP-XL1B3 Media Changer is only designed to work with the Sony digital media center PC's and is not a third party release. We anticipate releasing the third pary "My Changer" software around the 9th of may when our Sony Vista Applications DVD is made available for purchase." After explaining to him that the VGP-XL1B2 user manual posted on the Sony Support site clearly states that all VGP-XL1B2 units were to have Two CD's included, one for MCE 2005 and one for Vista (See page 14 of guide) he stated that the manual was posted in error. Here is the part the is really annoying, I called Amazon technical support and asked if the software was included in the VGP-XL1B3 per the manual and Amazon stated that on April 13 they were to open all VGP-XL1B units and place a copy of the Vista software in each box before shipping to customers (I beleive that is how the gentleman in a previous post received his). Now for the part I think all forum members should be aware of: Sony stated that any VGP-XL1B units in inventory are to be labeled as B3 units before being sold, but on the other hand the tech guy at sony also stated that due to the one I bought on Monday 23 April being manufactured in May 2006 that it "was different", now not to call Sony a liar or such, a friend of mine with my advice ordered a VGTP-XL1B3 from the Sony online store and received it today. It had the Sony Vista Changer Disc per the manual and was dated.........get this!!!!.......Dec 2005!!!!! In other words all the changers regardless of there "B#" are all the same, firmware, hardware ect. The way I figure it, he paid 100.00 extra for a CD that according to Sony will not work in third party machines, this is wrong, I believe that any of the software shipped will work it is just a matter of following the steps above provided by some of our forum members. Word to the wise, the changers are great don't get me wrong, but if you want to buy one save some money and order a B1 or B2, they are all the same.

P.S. Sony did send me an e-mail link and notification e-mail that stated that when third party software is available, I will be notified.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreman32 /forum/post/0

Has anyone tried the MyMovies 2.3 Prerelease 2 with this changer yet. I finally have my MCE system running fairly well and am curious how well this ap has worked for others here..
Quote:

I have used previous versions because it could import the XML file from DVD Profiler to get all the metadata. Changer support had been promised. Is it in the version that you referenced? I will upgrade when that happens. So then I plan to use MYMovies on MCE and DVDProfiler on XP. Jury is still out on Vista (so far I've hit nothing but bugs on my new laptop - it's virtually useless). Mediachanger/GUI will continue to be useful as a handy utility that works across them all.

Yes, it now supports the xl1b. And it is now pre-release #4

sorry for the delay in response. I have been really busy lately.

·
Registered
831 Posts
After ripping my 200 cds to WMA lossless I found out my new Sonos System doesn't support it! Little off topic, but can I somehow batch rip these to FLAC?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:

CD ripping won't work with XP professional? You have to have MCE?

to best of my recollection you have to have XP Media Center with rollup 2 to install the Sony Changer software - if you do not have it it will not install the software

you can read thru this thread however and use the software several of the members here are working on ( Mediachanger/GUI ) to access without Media Center

as to Sony - yes I agree they are largely full of crap
although the change, once you get it working, I think goes a long way towards redeeming them

I think someone needs to take THIS Software - the VISTA Media Changer Driver for the XL1 Sony Media Center Computer:

LINK

and run THIS program on the it:

http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

which extracts the files out of the EXE - extracts the separate "setup.exe" without the hardwarecheck.exe that looks ofr the SOny XL1 computer

and try running it on a VISTA syetem with the XL1B Changer and see if it works

Or you can simply try the process/order I listed - which I used to get My Chager working in VISTA

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreman32 /forum/post/0

Yes, it now supports the xl1b. And it is now pre-release #4

sorry for the delay in response. I have been really busy lately.

I've been watching the thread on 2.3 at thegreenbutton - it looked like folks were having issues still with the XL1B, and that it was being worked on still??

·
Registered
236 Posts
Fedex2Go or anyone else who has the XL3:

Can you check the software and see what they sent you.

I'd like to know if it's different than the software posted on Sony's site as it will not load with my installation of Vista.

I've tried numerous ways to load the software but it always errors with a "PX engine" or other error. I've used the extractor to split up the install package and that hasn't helped either.

If you still have the disc, how about posting a contents listing or run a compare on the driver sets to see if there are any differences.

I'll be reloading Vista tonight with the xl1b attached to see if it will see it during the installation and work any better.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:

CD ripping won't work with XP professional? You have to have MCE?

Well of course you can rip CDs on XP, but there is no function to BATCH rip, such as there is in MCE 2005. Windows Media Player will rip a CD to just about any format, but the trick is how to do it in an automated fashion. Among the many ways is the mediachanger/GUI version 049x. Press "Start Scan" with the "Rip Delay" checked and set to enough time for WMP to do its thing (you have to experiment - then set it for 2 minutes more), set AutoPlay for the drive you are using to "Rip with Windows Media Player," press the button and pray. This scheme will work about 95% of the time. There is no recovery for not enough delay time or other errors. But you can always just re-rip the few that got botched manually. That's my 2 cents. I'm sure there are many other ways, most probably better than what I just described.

·
Registered
34 Posts
EDIT: Problem solved. I keep the description for reference, a moderator may or may not want to remove it.

Solution (second-to-cheapest trick in the book): disconnect both power and firewire for a day. Seems to be a capacitor or something which provides enough power to maintain the memory I wanted to erase.

Houston, we have a problem.

A couple of days ago, my new VGP-XL1B2 arrived. Plugged it in by way of a voltage converter, loaded two discs, got access to it by EAC.

Turned it off and on again. Problem starts: it rotates for five seconds. Stops for one. Rotates for five, stops for one. Repeat until eternity, it seems, independent of whether attached to a computer. I removed the lid: it makes precisely one revolution between the one second pauses.

So load does not work. Eject does not work. Basically I am left with a very noisy firewire CD player which I cannot load/unload unless by manipulating the mechanics by hand.

Help, anyone?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will put link to the ISO image of Vista Software CD later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger /forum/post/0

I'd like to know if it's different than the software posted on Sony's site as it will not load with my installation of Vista.

I've tried numerous ways to load the software but it always errors with a "PX engine" or other error. I've used the extractor to split up the install package and that hasn't helped either.

If you still have the disc, how about posting a contents listing or run a compare on the driver sets to see if there are any differences.

I'll be reloading Vista tonight with the xl1b attached to see if it will see it during the installation and work any better.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:

Well of course you can rip CDs on XP, but there is no function to BATCH rip, such as there is in MCE 2005. Windows Media Player will rip a CD to just about any format, but the trick is how to do it in an automated fashion. Among the many ways is the mediachanger/GUI version 049x. Press "Start Scan" with the "Rip Delay" checked and set to enough time for WMP to do its thing (you have to experiment - then set it for 2 minutes more), set AutoPlay for the drive you are using to "Rip with Windows Media Player," press the button and pray. This scheme will work about 95% of the time. There is no recovery for not enough delay time or other errors. But you can always just re-rip the few that got botched manually. That's my 2 cents. I'm sure there are many other ways, most probably better than what I just described.

I was able to get my new XL1B to batch rip using the delphi based app Freechanger fromShizzle - from the thread titled "VGP-XL1B Support for Windows XP Applications"

I updated the firmware via instructions earlier in this thread, stopped the Removeable storge service and the Free Changer program found my XL1B, it took me some time to figure out how to run the app, First i went to configure and set my preferences for Cdex, picked the mp3 encoder, location, tag info, picked the location of the Cdex, saved & closed the config page. Then selected Scan-Run, this put the changer in motion, mounted the first CD and proceeded to rip it, then moved on to the next disc. I let it run all night...Pretty slick, plus I didn't have to guess how long it would take to rip and have to wait for WMP to do it. I also changed the drive so that when the changer mounted a new dics i didn't get the dialog box asking what to do with the disc blah blah blah. Thanks to Shizzle for such a sweet app. I guess I'm a little crazy, i could of grabbed my wifes Dell MCE laptop and loaded the software fromthe XL1B and done it but iguess i was up for the challenge to see if I could get my XP home to work. Here is my setup

Sony vaio RZ16g 2.66hz 1.5mg ram running XP home sp2 Ripped to 200g drive connected via Linksys NSLU2 NAS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Long post, grab some coffee, take a bio break.

Some of you may remember the issues I had with the first of three changers I ordered. The alignment was seriously out of whack, it would only take about 10-20 discs before it wouldn't accept them (wouldn't line up in the carousel slot). I'm just now experiencing this issue on the second of three changers.

Rather than wait a month for Sony to handle it, I decided to try aligning the stepping motor myself, and I was successful. I don't have time to post pics tonight, but I will give a written description of what I did. Hopefully it will be of some use to someone & save a service call / mailing your changer back to Sony. I will post a link to a pictorial tomorrow. This is ten times easier than the way it appears as written, so don't worry.

I am not a Sony technician, I am an impatient, mechanically inclined person. There's nothing to say that my changer won't work well down the road after I have done this. This will likely void your warranty, be warned. I figured I had nothing to lose, and a month to gain

Here are the tools you will need. I used these, but you can probably do a better job using sockets on the plastic standoffs.

- 8-12" phillips head screwdriver, #2 (or get extensions, etc.)

- small crescent wrench

1) if your unit is jammed, take the top off (8 screws) and the plastic cover off (1 screw). Take all of your cd's / dvd's out. Be very careful to find out where the disc is jammed. Usually one of the actuator arms (either where the changer takes media in or where it loads the CD tray) is extended and jammed hard against the disc. CAREFULLY remove this jam. Rotate the carousel as needed to get to the rest of your discs & pull them out.

2) Power the unit off, then back on. The carousel will "zero" itself. Look for a black mark that indicates the center point of the first slot. It looks like magic marker or model paint. That mark should line up EXACTLY with the slot. Inevitably, it does not if you are having alignment problems.

3) Look in the upper left corner - you will see the stepping motor shaft (where the belt winds around) and what looks like two plastic standoffs (note these for later). You will also see a single screw with a washer and what looks like a lug above it, almost like an adjustment handle. Use the long phillips head to loosen this screw 1/2 to 1 turn, just enough to move that lug (later on, not now!). Go through the hole in the corner of the metal brace - you will get a straight on shot and get enough torque to loosen that screw (coated with red varnish to stop it from vibrating loose). If you try to loosen the screw going sideways, and that varnish is tough, you will strip the head off of the screw, and be unhappy.

3) Unplug the unit. Gently flip it over, and remove all screws you can see on the bottom (2 on each corner, one in the middle, 6 more to hold various cams / guide rollers straight). Do not remove the feet, no need to.

4) Carefully remove the bottom plate. You will see a couple of logic boards and various other guts. Look for a motor that's about 1.5 - 2 inches across on one of the corners of the unit. That's the stepping motor.

NOTE: Watch out for the power supply on the bottom - it can still be charged. If you happen to graze one of the metal plates with a lightning bolt on it, you will get a nasty shock. Nothing too bad, but those with pacemakers / heart problems, be careful.

5) Note carefully the two screws (covered with red varnish). Those screws go into the plastic standoffs mentioned earlier.

6) Carefully turn the unit on its side with the stepping motor on top, as you are facing it. Adjust the crescent wrench to match the size of the standoff as closely as possible (again, a socket would probably work well here, I was just lazy and did not drag them in the house). With one hand, hold the crescent wrench, with the other, loosen the phillips head screw on the other side (just enough to wiggle the motor). Repeat on the other side.

7) Now that the stepping motor assembly is loosened, you can grab that lug on the top side of the unit I was talking about earlier. Move the lug until that black mark on the carousel lines up EXACTLY with the slot. I actually powered on the unit during this phase, hit the load button, and made sure the disc went in easily, and did not bind or hit the ridge between slots on the carousel. Again, be careful, the power supply is live and not shielded, don't get a shock.

8) Once you find that magic spot, tighten down the screw on the top side of the stepping motor (where the driveshaft / belt is located). That will hold things in place for the next step.

9) You have now loosened the belt assembly, there is probably some slack in it. Your goal now is to pull the stepping motor itself back far enough (with equal distance between both screws, if possible) to regain tension on the belt. Gently pull back on the stepping motor (careful of the wire leads that go to it, don't bend or break them) until there is some tension on the belt. Note where the screws are located with tension on the belt. Snug down one screw (just barely) and pull on the motor. Snug down the second screw (barely). Check the carousel alignment (the black mark) with the slot. If it's still out of alignment, it should not be out by much. Loosen a screw as needed and tug on that side of the motor until it's lined up. I do not know how much deflection there should be on the belt, just take a swag. Snug is good as far as the belt goes.

10) Tighten both screws well. Put the bottom cover on (using a few well placed screws). Make sure that the metal shafts for the cams holding the carousel in place poke through the bottom slightly. If the cover doesn't seem like it wants to fit, flip it 180 degrees and try again. ALSO NOTE: On the underside of the cover, there is a piece of brown paper. Line that up with the power supply, to prevent shorts in case something goes FUBAR down the road.

11) If you have not powered on the unit, do so now. Don't bother plugging it into the computer yet. See if you can load discs smoothly now. There should be NO resistance, the disc should simply fall until it hits the loading arm (which is extended). It should fall in straight, not at an angle. If either of these tests have failed, go back a couple of steps & realign until this part works. If you want to be POSITIVE that everything works, leave it powered up and load 200 discs. Then plug it into the computer (with the cover off) and have it take inventory through media center. Everything should move smoothly and there should be no weird straining sounds as discs are loaded / ejected.

12) Once you are satisfied that everything works ok, pull whatever discs you have loaded out, put the rest of the screws back on the bottom plate, put the plastic cover back on top, and then the metal cover.

Hope this helps someone, my unit is happily taking inventory as I write this. Pics with red circles and arrows coming soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ISO image of VISTA software disc which came with XL1B3:

part1: http://rapidshare.com/files/28271132...mage.part1.rar

part2: http://rapidshare.com/files/28326678...mage.part2.rar

part3: http://rapidshare.com/files/28326340...mage.part3.rar

part4: http://rapidshare.com/files/28326741...mage.part4.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger /forum/post/0

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks,

maybe this has been asked before but this thread is quite big ;-)

How can I get my fingers on the new VGP-XL1B3 in Europe? Amazon USA won't ship overseas. Does anybody know a distributor/reseller where I can order it?

Thanks.

Cheers

Holly

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why don't you just purchase XL1B2 and save some $$$?

XL1B2 and XL1B3 are the same units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leibinn /forum/post/0

Hi folks,

maybe this has been asked before but this thread is quite big ;-)

How can I get my fingers on the new VGP-XL1B3 in Europe? Amazon USA won't ship overseas. Does anybody know a distributor/reseller where I can order it?

Thanks.

Cheers

Holly

681 - 700 of 1738 Posts