AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. So about a month ago I bought a Sony KDL55W700B. So far it has been great.

One thing about it is that it takes much longer to completely start up than any other TV I've owned. It seems like even 15 seconds after I turn it on it still gives me a 'powering on...' message if I hit a button. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Today I turned it on and it worked normally. Turned it off and back on a few minutes later and just had a black screen. It was on, just a black screen. No display information of any kind, no response from any buttons I pressed. There is a light on the front that pulses when buttons are pressed and it was lighting up in response to what I was doing with the remote, but nothing on screen.

So I turned it off and called Sony support. They suggested unplugging the power source for 5 minutes and trying again. I got off the phone and did that. Plugged it back in and it worked just fine, started up immediately.

This concerned me, and when I called Sony back and asked if what happened was indicative of a faulty power source or anything like that, they told me they couldn't know for sure and to just plug it into a different outlet.

So does anybody know what's going on? Why did unplugging the power source fix the problem? Does this suggest something wrong with the TV? Or something potentially wrong with the outlet/electrical wiring?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Unplugging is what they call doing a "cold boot." Today's TV have a little computer in them, and ALL computers, once a while, want to be cold booted, it makes them healthy. As long as this long boot doesn't happen in the next 30? days, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unplugging is what they call doing a "cold boot." Today's TV have a little computer in them, and ALL computers, once a while, want to be cold booted, it makes them healthy. As long as this long boot doesn't happen in the next 30? days, don't worry about it.
Thanks for the reply.

Now when you say long boot, are you referring to the specific problem I ran into this morning, where the TV displayed just a black screen and wasn't responding at all, even after a few minutes?

Just wanting to be clear. Because the TV consistently takes what I'd call a relatively long time to boot up, that has been normal operation for the time I've had it. If you're saying that's not normal, then I'd be concerned.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
So you already know how long your TV boots normally, +/-10% you are within ball park, outside of that, start worrying, or shopping for a new TV!

BTW any computer that gets shuts down abnormally, like you turn off the TV and it wouldn't go off and you go ahead and yank the plug, THIS WILL MAKE IT TAKE LONGER during the next boot, this is normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry, I just keep getting more confused by what you're saying.

Let me try and be as clear as I can.

Bought new TV. TV takes a curiously long time to boot up, but otherwise works fine.

Turned TV on today and got a black screen. TV was not responding at all. I left the TV on like this for maybe 2-3 minutes.

Unplugged the power source for a few minutes, TV appeared to be back to normal.

Based on just these events, do I have reason to be concerned?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts