AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How close can your PC be to unshielded speakers. I would imagine the magnent would have a heck of an affect on the PC. I have my PC on top of my HDTV but its about 14" from the Center Speakers.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
If you have a steel PC case, you could literally sit the speakers on the PC without it being effected. Even with a plastic-cased PC such as a laptop, a magnetic field would have to be very stong to affect PC operation. However, PC magnetic media such as diskettes or tapes can be adversely effected - in effect partially erased - by strong magnetic fields such as those around speakers or CRT TV's. So don't concern yourself with the PC, rather the diskettes and tapes you feed it - someday each piece of magnetic media will become unreadable, they have been slowly degrading since being written. With PCs, it has so far been the case that the PC hardware evolves so fast that the media format has been obsoleted while most examples of that format remained readable. Stored somewhere in my garage are some 360K floppies I may not by now be able to read anymore - but to even attempt to do so, I'd have to get one of my old 386/486 machines with it's 5.25-inch drive working again - not likely I'll ever attempt that.

Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.