AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of let me say that I asked for permission and kind Larry Davis is allowing me to put this question to you all. I had it up on DVD hardware for 24 hours but no one had any any answers not even RCA. I received a RCA RC6000P Progressive Scan DVD player, I hooked in my Silver Serpents from our sponser www.bettercables.com I hooked them into progressive scan out component. On the deck it says 525P(480) video (optional).

When I played 4 different anamorphic discs in this player all came on my F-38310 in plain small 2.35:1. Yet when played the same 4 on my Sony Interlaced Changers they played as regular anamorphic with hardly any black space above or below. I was astonised to say the least I have asked Huey who said it might be PAL but our moderator Larry Davis said PAL would be 576P. I agree as the manual says Region 1 doesn't play (PAL or SECAM).

Why am I not seeing anamorphic when out put is progressive to Y-Pr-Pb to Y-Pr-Pb component on my RCA F-38310 same as Sony CX860 and CX850D I used them both to play the same 4 which are anamorphic.

There is another set of component output Y-Pb-Pr but it not labled at all. If I have to run a progressive as interlaced I might as well put this brand new never played more than 1/2 of 1 movie back in storage as back up for when one of my 2 changers stops working.

Friends I put my post up in DVD Hardware as required to AVS forum rules. You are my friends that know me. You know to what lengths, I will go to find information for you. I am the one now with egg on my face

as even the factory techs had no clue as to why the view was changed from anomorphc to plain old 2.35:1. TIA :confused:

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Hob,

2.35:1 is an aspect ratio and doesn't necessarily indicate that the source is anamorphic or not.

You can have a 2.35:1 movies that are anamorphic or letterbox.

So it's hard to tell what the problem may be as I think you may be mis-using some of the terminology....

Could it be simply that your new DVD player is not set to the correct aspect ratio? Go into the DVD player setup menus and make sure that the display type is set to 4:3 if you have a 4:3 tv or 16:9 if you have a widescreen tv. This is a common problem.

Some extra questions: What are the aspect ratio's of the 4 movies you're playing and what are the movies? Is your display device 4:3 or 16:9 or other?

Kal

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Or just as important, make sure the "old" DVD player has the aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9) turned on correctly in it's setup. If your old one and new one are set up different in this regard, they would definitely look different.

Cary

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Sony CX-860 and CX-850D and the RC6000P were set up to play 16 X 9. I have had DVD players since format first came out. When it first came out I had it set for 4 x 3 wide, when I bought the F-38310

I set the 2 Sony's for 16 X 9. Yesterday when I connected it all up I went for the menu and set it up for 16 X 9. That's why I am astonished to see it won't play anamorphic discs where the Inter Laced Sony mega changers will! I know well enough it's not the better cables, I guess I either have to watch them the way the are, or put the set back into storage as a back up, for when my changers stop working.

O/T Next month I will be a registered member of AVS for 1 year, before that I lurked, I got enough info to buy the F-38310. On Sunday the trouble free set will be owned by me for 1 year, it was the operating floor model of the dealers for 2 weeks. I might be crippled, but that doesn't stop anyone from learning.

Have you all noticed the times posted, I post off and on from about 9:00 AM to 1:00 AM. I chase after region coding or buy discs off of amazon. On Huey's idea I sent a private message to sspears who I was told is a DVD previewer for HT magazine. I have been a subscriber to HT since 1994, maybe he will have the answer if not it goes into storage.

Okay I give up I am putting the useless progressive scan DVD in the closet for a back up when the CX-860 stops working I am giving my CX-850D to the church like I did my 32" panny that I did last year.

End of thread, thank you Larry Davis for allowing me to put this unanswerable question on. Even the RCA factory techs couldn't solve ther own product. :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
So you have a PAL RCA? Could the player be reverting to 4:3 for conversion to NTSC ( long shot )?

You could try another unit.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to be coy with you but I always read the first post no matter if there is 6 pages to the thread. It is a Region 1 player I can't try another unit because I got this with my rebate sent for in June of 2001, I did take your advice and bring up the menu, it's still set for 16 X 9.:)

It's a puzzle to me to Huey, Larry Davis, you and the other posters that added their response.

I am going to have to pay a neighbor to put it back in the closet, to be a back up unit if one of my Sony mega changers fail.

It was a free rebate probably one of RCA unskilled labors foulups, all DVD changers are not perfect. Like my broken like a egg shell ankle, all the kings horses and all the kings men can't put it back together again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.