AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun to notice a problem with my 5080 that I do not know of anyone else posting about. Creeping into my recorded shows are shows NOT recorded fully. It appears mostly with my many non-guaranteed theme channels but its not isolated to theme or non-guaranteed shows.

At least one time, one of my Dark Shadows show based recordings only recorded like 5 mins of the show, while the one directly after that recorded in its entirety. This was the first I noticed. My old 3030 records Dark Shadows every morning also for back up purposes and that day the 3030 recorded both shows letting me know it was not a problem with Sci-Fi.

Now, I have see 30 min shows with only 23 mins recorded, missing 5, 10, or even a little as 3 mins. As far as I can tell, they can be played. It appears it is getting more frequent. Has anyone else reported or heard about this strange behavior?

·
Registered
841 Posts
In my experience, getting pieces of a show is caused by cable signal drop-outs. In your case, possibly not a completely dead signal for a long period, but possibly a long intermittent glitch. If you watch the back-up recording at the drop-out time point, does the picture and sound seem OK?

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
hen I bought a 5080 and installed it on a network with two 4080, my troubles began. Of course the 5080 will no stream to the other two, as was promised to be fixed by the first quarter of 03, but it is messing up the other two streamings. Once a day the 4080 have to be rebooted (soft and hard) in order to see the menu of the saved shows or to be able to play them. The error message "unable to reach remote machine".

Also the tv which is attached to the 5080 continues to loose focus. (61" Sony) . A DVD played will be in perfect focus. Playing with the cables input to the TV sometimes corrects the problem. Directtv has responded with a fixed menu of trouble shooting. None of which fix the problems. I think I may have to buy another 4080 to fix it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Crunchy Doodle
In my experience, getting pieces of a show is caused by cable signal drop-outs. In your case, possibly not a completely dead signal for a long period, but possibly a long intermittent glitch. If you watch the back-up recording at the drop-out time point, does the picture and sound seem OK?

Bye. :cool:
Crunchy I did not pay much attention with the Dark Shadow thing, as it was the first time it happened. I can tell you that on my 5080 DS is recorded off of Satellite (DTV) and on the backup it is recorded off of cable. It was the Sat recording that failed not cable. We have not been having any inclement weather lately so I do not think its the sat signal dropping out. I Will have to pay more attention should it happen again and pay attention to the source signal.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now things are even more strange. Last night for no apparant reason, my 5080 locked up. I did a soft reboot, and got it functional again. Turned machine off and until about 40 mins ago, my machine has been off (but the record light has been coming on making it seem like it was recording).

I attempt to turn on the machine and nothing. Will not turn on. Do a soft reboot, get it semi functional meaning menus will come up, I can actually play my recorded shows some 50 of them movies and serials, yet I can not tune to any channels. OR more to the point, no picture or sound on any channels. Just a black screen. I do not know at this point if it actually recorded anything today or not, but I do know that now no picture or sound is coming through when either cable or Sat channel is punched in.

Sometimes I get the channel banner which states "No Information available" but most of the time the channel banner comes up with the correct information telling me what is on, and how long its been playing now and the channel number. Then it fades away like it's suppose to, leaving me with a dead, black screen.

Makes me think my tuner has played out. I am getting tired of this crap. First its my friends 5040 in the reboot of death, and he gets a replacement that will not work (after they lose his machine because the RMA number was not recorded on SonicBlue's End) and now my machine is acting crazy.

If I have to send my machine in I am going to lose almost 50 gig of recordings I have not watched yet. Close to 20 movies I was saving for a rainy day. Yeah, I can watch them now, but it would take me weeks to do that and I would not be able to record anything so basically its a dead trojan!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.