AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, please don't flame me, but I've looked all over the place for discussions on this. I'm ending up with the audio out of sync from beginning-to-end of the mpeg. Here's the process:

1. Capture with rtv5060

2. Import to pc with DvArchive.

3. Strip out commercials with Womble, or, rtv5ktools. With Womble I use the reverse-paste method (good howto from Jim's tips).

4. Produce Dvd with Dvd-Lab.

5. Play Dvd in Pioneer player.

Problem - Audio is delayed from the very beginning of the movie to the end (equally bad throughout). It seems to be maybe a half second behind the video (definitely noticeable, but not horrible). I doesn't get progressively worse (like so many posts have referenced).

Other observations:

1. Original recording plays fine on the rtv5060

2. Audio is out of sync before doing anything in Womble. Run through copy / paste / save proceedure in Womble and have the same result.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, I've seen several posts refer to a raft of things to try, but, darned if I can find them. Can someone point me to them? Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
805 Posts
Try ULEAD Movie Factory 2 [available as a full version limited time download]. Though, I have to say, it doesn't work for me if I have done ANY edits in womble. If I touch the file at all, I get the audio out of sync [though everyone else on this board -- other than you of course -- appear to have no problems at all....]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, actually, I thought Womble did a fine job of adjusting the file. Are you thinking that it injected the audio delay? Is ULEAD Movie Factory 2 better at adjusting the file?

I just assumed that there was a step I missed, or some configuration change to be done, or some other trick to adjust the timing. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crystaldon
Ok, please don't flame me, but I've looked all over the place for discussions on this. I'm ending up with the audio out of sync from beginning-to-end of the mpeg. Here's the process:

1. Capture with rtv5060

2. Import to pc with DvArchive.

3. Strip out commercials with Womble, or, rtv5ktools. With Womble I use the reverse-paste method (good howto from Jim's tips).

4. Produce Dvd with Dvd-Lab.

5. Play Dvd in Pioneer player.

Problem - Audio is delayed from the very beginning of the movie to the end (equally bad throughout). It seems to be maybe a half second behind the video (definitely noticeable, but not horrible). I doesn't get progressively worse (like so many posts have referenced).

Other observations:

1. Original recording plays fine on the rtv5060

2. Audio is out of sync before doing anything in Womble. Run through copy / paste / save proceedure in Womble and have the same result.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, I've seen several posts refer to a raft of things to try, but, darned if I can find them. Can someone point me to them? Thanks,

Don
I think you have one of the "rarer" problems. Your audio is out of sync BEFORE doing anything in Womble. I wouldn't even worry about Womble OR your authoring software.

Most people have the problem after editing in Womble, OR the file is fine even after editing in Womble, and the audio sync is only apparent after authoring to a DVD and playing it back on a set top DVD player (this was my problem awhile back).

RichA has probably the most info posted, but he has posted so much, so many times, maybe try doing a search for all messages posted by him and weed through it all.

I would probably lean toward a codec or sound card issue. As you know, one way many guys have had success is wiping and reloading 2000 or XP with the bare minimum software (DVArchive, Java, Nero, DVD Playback Software, etc.). Many intentionally do not even get any of the Windows Media Player updates, just to be sure the Microsoft-provided codecs do not interfere. I think most put on WinDVD or PowerDVD which does install a codec that should playback your Replay files fine. This would tell you a lot about your system.

Drastic perhaps. But how bad do you want to archive "N-Sync" shows to DVD?

Once I had the solution to "N-Sync" DVD transfers, it was great. I was cutting commercials, muxing and demuxing, and authoring like crazy. Since the first few transfers however, my hard drive has piled up with lots of shows (currently about 94 gigs) that I still need to archive. Be careful what you wish for!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crystaldon
No, actually, I thought Womble did a fine job of adjusting the file. Are you thinking that it injected the audio delay? Is ULEAD Movie Factory 2 better at adjusting the file?

I just assumed that there was a step I missed, or some configuration change to be done, or some other trick to adjust the timing. Any other suggestions?
Ulead is used only to burn the dvd. It is apparently the only software that can handle the replay file format [even after womble 'fixing'] without recoding it [sometimes properly, sometimes not].

Mine plays fine in womble -- both as read in, and after copy and paste editing. The sync problem only shows up when I burn it to dvd.

1) if I copy the entire file [no editing], save the whole cut, and create the dvd with ulead, it is in sync. The file looked fine in womble. Ulead did not re-encode while writing.

2) if I do any edits [copy, reverse paste], save that file, and create the dvd with ulead, it is out of sync. The file looked fine in womble. Ulead did not re-encode while writing.

3) if I cut the file using rtvedit, and process the file as in #1 above, creating the dvd with ulead, it is out of sync. The file looked fine in womble. Ulead did not re-encode while writing.

4) if I take the [apparently fixed] file from #1 and process it as either #2 or #3, the dvd is out of sync, though again, the files look fine in womble.

5) if I take any of the above files, and create the dvd with nero vision express 2, it is out of sync. The files ARE re-encoded by nero however.

So bottom line, the ONLY way I have produced an in-sync dvd without recoding is by #1 above.

Yes there are a lot of codecs on my machine [including a hardware mpeg codec], but ALL the rest of the conversion and edit software on the machine works just fine, and ALL the files created stay in sync -- except files which originate from replay.

So my only conclusion is that there is still no software that properly understands the replay mpegs and converts them to anything standard short of full re-encoding.

Perhaps if you have [or don't have] just the right codecs in just the right order, and/or just the right hardware, you might get a reasonable result with #2, 3, or 4 above, but I contend that it is only luck. The very fact that ulead is the only software that can accept even the 'fixed' file format without recoding it says to me that it still ain't right.

If someone comes up with a way to tweak the replay mpeg into a more standard format, none of the codec games will matter, and ANY edit/burn programs will be happy with the files.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.