AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird setup question that involves Plasmas/Speakers/Digital Cable etc. I could not figure out the best forum for it, but since I read the Plasma forum most often I decided to post it here.

Please bear with me as this is confusing.

I am about to get a plasma display but do not want to get the external speakers.

My Digital set top box (Scientific Atlanta/Roger's Cable) only outputs channels 2-58 as an analog signal. All channels above 58 come through the digital coax output...

My AV receiver (Anthem AVM-2) does not auto detect incoming signal so I set input "TV" to digital so when I want the sound from my STB to come through my stereo, I just hit mute on my current television and fire up the Anthem.

If I get a plasma this system falls apart because I would have to switch the input on the AV receiver everytime I went between channels 2-58 and channels 58 - XXX. Pain in the ass and unrealistic.

The only solution I can figure out, and here is my question... is can I plug the analog out from the STB into the plasma and then run speaker wire from the plasma speaker outputs into my center channel?

This would mean my center channel would have two sets of speaker wire as inputs...speaker wire from my amp would go into the banana plug input and speaker wire from my plasma would connect to the bare wire input.

Can anyone think why this would damage either

1) My plasma

2) My center channel

3) My amp

Or if anyone has another solution. I would love to hear it.

Once again, sorry for the sort of Plasma related question but value everyone's opinion on this board.

Jon

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
jonlax:

Are you sure about the audio not working above channel 58? That doesn't sound right to me. I have a Rogers SA digital box and can get analogue audio on the digital channels. I think there's a menu setting for it somewhere, but don't remember for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
And what do you think will happen when you turn on the Receiver and send 50 to 100 watts to the speaker(s) that is also hooked up to the Plasma Terminals? The juice is not going to just go to the speaker(s) and stop there, it will say hey, here is another route for me to take as well. Not a good idea. I know you said you don't want the external speakers, but I think I would re-think it.

But the choice is yours- good luck!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I just figured it out but its hack. Basically I need to go analog for all channels but then on channels above 58 I need to switch the input on my Pre/Pro to another input to get 5.1.

I yelled at Rogers today saying that they claim "Digital Sound" but it really isn't. It is Digital Sound only for channels above 58. Bell ExpressVu outputs a digital signal for all channels.

Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.