AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a home theater and listening room in my basement. As apparent from the attached drawing, the room has an unusual shape. I would like to set this room up for DVD video, HTPC, HDTV satellite, and DVD-Audio listening. I am concerned about the room acoustics / speaker arrangement being suitable for DVD-Audio and having optimal sound performance for multiple rows in a home theater type arrangement (common problem in this forum?)

Prior to reading white papers published by Harmans Floyd Toole, I was strongly considering Definitive Technology bipolar speakers. I now realize that unidirectional front-firing speakers are probably more appropriate for the spatial localization of DVD-Audio content, therefore I am leaning towards full frequency range tower speakers. Given the length of the room, I am uncertain whether I should use four surround speakers (two on the sides & two in the rear) or if a pair of strategically placed bipolar / dipolar speakers would be a suitable compromise. Due floor space issues, the rear surround speakers will probably have to be suspended from the ceiling (smaller). Due to the large projection screen, I need a horizontal center channel that is acoustically matched to the right and left mains.

My primary criterion for speaker selection is natural (flat frequency response), crisp, and excellent sound quality. I am less interested in spending money towards aesthetics, construction or brand name. After reading many threads in this forum, the speakers I am considering thus far include: Diva (4.1, C3, & R3); Infinity (IL40, 3xI36C); or Polk speakers. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in locating a Diva auditioning opportunity in the Atlanta area ( www.audiogon.com ) which is somewhat of a deterrent.

I already have a Velodyne ULD-15-W servo-controlled subwoofer with 400W amplifier and Clark Synthesis TST 229 & TST 329 tactical transducers. Because of this I am not relying on the front/rear speakers as the primary source of bass, therefore medium-sized tower speakers are probably sufficient. I am leaning towards purchasing the Panasonic SA-HE200S DVD-Audio-Ready Receiver to compliment the Panasonic DVD-CP72 Progressive-Scan DVD-Audio/Video player and the Panasonic PT-L711XU XGA LCD Projector.

I would very much appreciate a recommendation on brands, types, and placement of speakers, and what (if any) sound absorbing / diffusing wall/floor/ceiling materials are required. If possible, I would like to limit my speaker budget to approximately $2,000.

visio-outline3.pdf 39.5224609375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You've found an excellent resources in Floyd's papers.

The closest expression of those ideas in product would be the Infinity line which come under his supervision.

You might want to consider what your highest priority is. DVD-A listening, to really be done right, is the most demanding setup. Generally you should be observing the ITU room setup suggestion. Film sound is not quite as fussy.

I've no experience with the Panasonic gear. Personally, if I were to get a receiver, I would study the THX certified offerings carefully.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buzz,

Thanks for the feedback.

Forgive my naiveté, but what is the ITU setup?

You're probably right - I should probably establish priorities. I guess I wanted my cake and eat it too...

Assuming DVD-Audio was my priority, is Infinity the recommended speaker?

Likewise, should I stick with unidirectional front-firing surrounds as well?

Regards,

JAR

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JARathje
Forgive my naiveté, but what is the ITU setup?
http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/images/itu.gif

It positions the listener at the center of a circle of speakers. The center speaker is located at 0°. Left and right are at ±30°, forming an equilateral triangle with the listener. Left surround and right surround speakers are positioned at ±110°, with tweeters at or slightly above ear level.

Quote:
Assuming DVD-Audio was my priority, is Infinity the recommended speaker?

Likewise, should I stick with unidirectional front-firing surrounds as well?
Speakers are very personal, but the Infinity line does have some very good speakers in it; the Floyd Toole influence is there.

I prefer direct firing surrounds and that is what most surround mixers use.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I highly recommend the Polk LSi line for your application, but of course speakers are a personal preference as has been mentioned. These are not your average Polks that you find at CC. Give them an audition and you will be pleasantly surprised or perhaps even "a little stunned".

·
Registered
354 Posts
After a lot of listening, I settled on a full Aerial Acoustics setup, 10t, CC3, SR3 and SW12. I too have a screwed up room which has nothing in the way of acoustics--Although I was on a budget, I blew it to try to be sure I had the best speakers possible to compensate for the room's inadequacies. the sub creates breezes, it is so powerful.

The aerials are definitely worth a look and listen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.