AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some x-10 stuff to give the remote lighting thing in my theater a go. I was tired of tripping off my seating deck when the movie ended. I figured the x-10 stuff was a cheap way to see if I liked remote lights. Anyways, I set the modules up....and they will not work in my Theater Room. They will work in any other room in the house (if I also plug the HTPC into another socket) . I use a Furman RackRider power supply. It has EFI?RFI blocking. ALL my HT gear is plugged into it....except my HTPC, though it is plugged into the same outlet. Could the Furman unit be blocking the x-10 signal?? Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
X-10 is fraught with problems, although if you can get it to work it 's a great solution. There are many factors that can cause your problems, and yes, the Furman could be the problem.

Since it doesn't sound like your actually trying to control anything that is directly connected to the Furman, your problem is less likely to be the Furman blocking the X-10 signal. Blocking would only effect things down stream of the Furman.

More likely, something in the theater (maybe the Furman) is putting out RFI noise, which can cause huge interference problems for X-10. Also, your signal may be forced to cross different phases (or "legs") of your power system.

Is everything your trying to control on the same circuit? If that's the case, you most likely have a noise issue, which can be dealt with by using filters.

Also, check out the x-10 forum at www.remotecentral.com for more info.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I mainly bought the x-10 stuff to mess around with. I really didnt like the idea of it using EFI to control the different modules. I think I am going to install some Lutron stuff to take its place. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
I have had excellent luck with X10 in my home but one very important thing to remember with these. Do not plug them into any outlet that has a surge protection filter as these will most likely filter your X10 signal.

·
Registered
860 Posts
At first I was getting some really wierd, Turn on/Turn off at random intervals with my X10, but then in the past few months, I've had absolutely no problems.. really haven't changed any hardware tho... very odd.

You may also want to call X-10, they may be able to shed some light on it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I use X10 around the house.

But for remote control of your theatre lights you can't beat the Lutron "spacer" module.

http://www.lutron.com/spacer/

It's IR so you can "learn" the on/off and dim/bright controls to your HT remote. The dimming is smooth and reliable. Plus if you hold the off button for like two seconds then let go it will VERY SLOWLY dim the lights all the way to off :)

Very cool

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.