AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone this is my first post here. I never really thought I would be an electronics geek
but I am kinda hooked. Thanks to everyone here because my trolling has already gained me a ton of great info.. Thanks

I was given a Sony VPH 1000Q CRT projector. I am feeding it though a 6 ft long S-video cable. I have tried several different DVD players and I keep getting this curve at the top of my 100" screen. The curve leans to the right and the image doesn't seem distorted in this area. This curve seems to extends out on the right about 2 inches and starts about three inches down. This area seems to fade dark and then back to normal.

It doesn't do this with the Playstation or a TV signal.

I have played with all the settings on several different dvd players and they all seem to do this.

Also if the image is still on the screen it is very clear. If the image is moving it looks a little pixelated to me.

My wife and friends think it looks great and seem to think I havegone off the deep end worring about this stuff. Should I just take a deep breath and watch some movies or is there something I can do about this

·
Registered
25 Posts
You do indeed sound like you are developing early stage CRT addiction.

A photo of the projected image might help with diagnosing your screen distortion, but have you followed Curt's or similar setup guide yet?

It sounds a little like the image is being 'folded' ie. wrapped around on itself. if so you will need to shift the synch a little.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I had a similar situation when I first got my Ampro (a long time ago).

It turned out to be MacroVision encoding on the dvd's that was causing the problem. I talked to a factory rep, and he said they were aware of the problem, but couldn't do much about it.

I later quit using the S-video input and fed it a direct RGBHV signal, and the problem went away.

Try some different dvd's to find one without Macrovision (like Video Essentials). The Disney releases were the worst.

Ray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have an answer for you but I can say that I experienced the exact same problem. I had a 1000Q and it would "roll" the picture to the right at the very top but only when fed from a dvd player via s-video. Any other source would be fine via the same input and cable. I never could figure that out. I thought I had moved on from this issue but you opened and old wound with this post and I do still have that projector and am curious why it did that. If anybody has any ideas, I will drag that projector out of the closet and try them. I'm going to give that projector to a friend of mine and would like to see it straightened out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahahaha and I thought I was going crazy. I love to tinker with stuff. My favorite past times all include doing a lot with very little. (I had a 1986 dodge omni that ran 12 sec. 1/4 miles and daily got 35 MPG built for under 1000 bucks) The saying around here is: I have been doing so much with so little for so long..... I can do darn near anything with just about nothing.

To the best of my limited knowledge everything is set up correctly with the projector. The only thing I have struggled with is the blue focus and convergence. It is hard to see and no matter how I adjust anything else a couple of the trim pots on the blue always end up close to maxed out. I understand it is best to keep controls/adjustments as close to center to reduce electrical strain.... but hey. I believe that is just a newbie not getting everything just perfect yet. I am getting pretty quick at the process though

As far as the curve when it shows up it seem to be the same. It is either there or not. And when it is there it does not seem to distort the picture just show a little more one the right and a little less on the right. It wouldn't really bother me all that much, but the fade really drives me crazy. Also if I kick up the brightness it does show up on "wide screen" formated movies but not in the actual movie, just at the top of the screen. I will try some different DVD s and see what effect that has, cause come to think of it I didn't notice it while watching The Dukes of Hazard. I might try a composite to the Projector and see if that changes anything.

When I turn the brightness all the way up the raster corners bow out on the UMMM top I think

What about the loss of resolution when the images are moving across the screen. Is this normal. I understand it is a 480i image but if the image is still it is so clear then they move and it seems pixlated. (if thats a word) Like if lighting McQueen is stoped he is very clear and sharp but when he passes across the screen the edges of the image seem to loss resolution.

Thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are right on with this. My problem looks exactly like the Macrovision issue we used to see with the old VCRs.

I have a MitsubishiWS-65515 and a Pioneer DVD Model F 727.

My ripping issue only occurs with the Mits and the Pioneer combination. If I use a TV or another DVD player I do not get the issue.

So is this a TV issue or a Pioneer? Pioneer says it is the TV and TV rapair blames the DVD.

One other clue is that if I use an S-Video it does not happen. Only if I use the component. And I know the obvious (do not use the component), but that is not an option with my system.

Help... Anyone....

Scott

503-793-0250
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.