AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by a local BB during lunch and discovered an open box DTC-100 for what looks like a decent price. I inquired about the return policy and they said that it was the standard 30 days. I am planning on going HTPC in the (somewhat) near future, but am really tempted to get the box if only to try it out for a while.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the UP-1100 (or similar) and the DTC-100? I found a post here that lists the UP-1100 and the LT-100 as DTC-100 compatible but wanted to see if anyone had other comments.

A secondary question:

Ideally, due to the fact that my panamorph is right around the corner, the image would fill the entire panel and then I would use the panamorph (or the Wide mode) to squish it into the correct aspect ratio. Anyone have any info on how will the image be displayed with the projector?

Thanks!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff J (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tb-

thanks a lot for the info. wow, this is going to be awesome, anything good on HD tonight?

am I correct that I will get a "full screen" image with the DTC-100 and then use Wide mode to squeeze?

now all I need is an antenna...and that other magical accessory previously mentioned would be nice....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff J:

am I correct that I will get a "full screen" image with the DTC-100 and then use Wide mode to squeeze?
I hope that will be the case.

Did you get a chance to enjoy some HD?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did get a DTC-100 yesterday, it was open-box with no remote, but for only $250.00 I really could not say no. It seems like that is a little lower than what they have been going for on ebay or in the classifieds.

I do have two questions:

a) I did not get a manual - everything was fairly easy to setup, but would anyone know if there is a version on-line?

b) re-trace timings - I was using option 2 (for RGB) - is this the best option? Is there a significant difference between this and the first (VGA) option?

I was able to get digital stations from NBC, ABC, FOX (I think that I got WGN but I am not sure if they were broadcasting) with a little radio shack rabbit ear antenna, but antenna position was very key. I could not find a location where I could get all stations, but with a little moving around, I could get signal levels of about 70 or so which I think is promising. I also think that I need to upgrade the generic VGA cable that I received with the projector - I noticed a significant amount of ringing and what almost looked like dot crawl, especially on text or especially bright images. I played around with the fine picture adjustment but could not find a setting that made much of an improvement.

Overall, what I watched definitely SO MUCH better than SDTV but, I don't think that I got the full HD-wow factor experience last night. I only got about 2hrs of viewing in - think that everything I watched was just upconverted - don't think there was any native HD (missed Leno). I think that the most impressive thing that I watched was the re-broadcast of the local ABC news, really just a smooth picture with decent depth to it - but it kind of hard to judge with just two static people on a set. Also, an episode of Taxi on FOX looked pretty sharp - there definitely was more depth and just more detail than the standard channel, but it was late and I was having trouble keeping the signal locked in. Hope that there is some good stuff on this weekend.

well, off to the hd hardware section to look for recommendations for a good indoor antenna. Think that I will also look for some cat-5 this weekend to improve the cable situation so hopefully a full-bore WOW is right around the corner.

jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff J (edited 08-10-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.