AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I was better at using computers because a diagram would be much better to display my room. I have a real dilema. Picture a 12X16 room. Nothing on the east wall which is one of the long walls. The South wall has a opening to a hallway on the far left (east end of wall). The West wall has two large windows. The North wall has a door way right in the middle. As in 4 1/2 feet of wall on either side of the door opening.

I can't figure out where to put the "stage". If I put it on the long East wall, There is only about 18 inches between the back of the sofa and the West wall with the windows. With 12-14 inch deep speakers, that puts the rears right up against the sofa.

If I put the "stage" on the South wall (with the opening on the left), everything is somewhat shifted to the right side of the room. The right arm of the sofa is now 12 inches from the West wall. Not too great for side speaker placement.

Which is the lessor of two evils here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio /forum/post/19566907

I wish I was better at using computers because a diagram would be much better to display my room. I have a real dilema. Picture a 12X16 room. Nothing on the east wall which is one of the long walls. The South wall has a opening to a hallway on the far left (east end of wall). The West wall has two large windows. The North wall has a door way right in the middle. As in 4 1/2 feet of wall on either side of the door opening.

I can't figure out where to put the "stage". If I put it on the long East wall, There is only about 18 inches between the back of the sofa and the West wall with the windows. With 12-14 inch deep speakers, that puts the rears right up against the sofa.

I am a little confused by the compass headings. But took a stab at a diagram. After we get it right, we can better discuss options.

How big a screen are you planning? 50"? 100"? Direct or PJ? How many seats?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your diagram is almost spot on with the exception of the doorway at the bottom would be at the right or East end of that wall. And one more thing. The windows on the west wall have a bottom of about 48 inches off the floor. I am doing some minor remodeling that would put the door that is in the middle of the North wall more towards the East end of that wall.

It will be a 46-47 inch flat screen TV. The sofa is just a big love seat but, it may be replaced in the future.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the diagram, I think the best idea would be to put the seating area on the West wall. If the seating area is 8 feet from the stage, would you have the "mains" 8 feet appart? That just seems a little wide to me.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio
Looking at the diagram, I think the best idea would be to put the seating area on the West wall. If the seating area is 8 feet from the stage, would you have the "mains" 8 feet appart? That just seems a little wide to me.
No, with a 48" screen the L/R would be placed closer to it, as in the attached.

The surrounds are still placed further away so as to avoid "hot spotting" to listeners on either end of the sofa.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio /forum/post/19566907

If I put it on the long East wall, There is only about 18 inches between the back of the sofa and the West wall with the windows. With 12-14 inch deep speakers, that puts the rears right up against the sofa.

Sitting directly in front of a reflecting wall is about the worst place. You could improve that by adding very thick absorbers behind your head. But it's better to orient your speakers and seating as explained in this article:

How to set up a room

If that puts an opening at one side-wall reflection point, you can match that with an absorber on the other side, which is needed anyway. More here:

Early Reflections
Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting read Ethan. I also could not remember the name of the company that makes the sound deadeners. Thanks!

One curious thing is the "ark" with the front speakers. It makes sense however. Giving equal distance to the L/C/R speakers.

Pricing is not much of a concern Ratman. I want it to be as close to perfect as I can get it!

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Info provided so you are informed and have a expectation for expense(s).

"Perfection" can be costly.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I know. It is subjective. Like a lot of things. I am sure I could blow $50k or more on my A/V "Man cave" but, I would probably end up single!

I am really getting into this stuff and AVS has been a great help! It is also driving me nuts as there are TOO many options out there and as far as the hardware is concerned, you just have to go out and listen to see what you like best. I am still flipping around with the speakers. B&W 685s, KEF Q300s, Monitor BX2s. I have eliminated Mordaunt Aviano 2s and Paradigm Mini Monitors and even Canton GLE 430 v2s due to the fact they are rear ported.

One thing I found interesting is the rating Stereophile gave the Infinity Primus P162s. A "C" rating in the recomended "restricted LF" catagory! $87 each at Crutchfield!! Go figure!

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If doing the "arc" with the front three speakers, how does that effect placement of traps? I am going for front ported speakers. would they move slighly outboard from directly behind them?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Ethan. I did mean the reflection panels. I did a mock up of that arc and they would hardly move at all compared to having the speakers flat against the wall.

As far as the base traps, Each corner of my room is spoken for. Either by a bookshelf or a doorway and even a old RCA Victrola! The Victrol can move but, the others can not. Do objects such as these help in any way?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts