Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it...

I understand slapping a HDMI output on a DVD player, but whats with up-converting to 1080p? How is this possible? Isn't your average 16x9 DVD 853x480? How can you possibly get 1080 lines from a 480 source (and have it be good... ie.. line doubling is NOT good)?

For example... take an 853 x 480 image into photoshop and enlarge it to 1920 x 1080 and it comes out blurry and looks like crap.

How is this going to work any better with a VIDEO signal that needs to resize 24 frames per second?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Do a search on the forum. This topic has been discussed over and over and over.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SledgeHammer
Ah, the ever helpful "sift through the 200+ response threads"...
I'll help you:

Try this one , or this one , or this one , or maybe this one . That should get you started.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Trent... some "lighter weight" threads there. To me, it still seems like these are stop-gap solutions until HD-DVD arrives. The common "theory" seems to think the Faroujda scaler in some of these DVD players will do a better job then the scaler in say a Panasonic 7UY 50" plasma. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I guess I just have to demo one and see if its worth $600+ :).

Does anyone know what scaler the Panasonic 7UY uses?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SledgeHammer
...To me, it still seems like these are stop-gap solutions until HD-DVD arrives...
You're not the only one that thinks that. But, I have an upscaling DVD player and I like it. I'm not going to wait about 3 years until HD-DVD gets to my price range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.