AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back ready to work on my ht(life happened so I had to put some things on hold) and I'm kind of at a crossroad. I've auditioned the Paradigm's Monitor's 9 and 11(the version before the new series 7) and was pleased with the sound.

I also auditioned B&W(don't remember the version but I have the brochure around here...somewhere) and they sounded good for vocals but didn't have that something that the Digms had.

I want to audition the Axioms M80 because I read somewhere here, that someone was thinking of getting the Paradigm Studio's but for price reasons opted of the M80's instead due to the similarities in sound.


Now. I have a small room(don't have dimension sizes at this moment).

I will be using these for 50/50 music and movies. As of right now, I will be running my old htib Yamaha receiver until I buy a new one.

I would love to go all out and spend thousands and thousands of dollars on this but I have to do it on a budget.

Starting off, I want to get l/r speakers first. I'm partial to floorstanding speakers because over the years of have bookshelf and sub combo to mini speaker combo's, you miss out on a lot of the frequencies(granted I didn't have high-end speakers either probably played a big part in that).

I'm kinda bummed out that the Paradigm doesn't have that massive center for the new line-up now.


What I would like to know is for the people who had Paradigm and went to Axiom or vice versa was it worth it.

I do understand that we're all different with different taste in music, sound quality, and what we want form our speakers so I'm going to let you know what I'm looking...Ooops, my bad, I mean, listening for.


1. I want clarity and if I want to crank it a little loud, I don't want no distortion(not loud to the point where I'll hurt my ears either).


2. I want a nice wide sound stage(or should I say sweet spot).


3. I want good imaging. If I'm listening to music I want to be able to here were the piano is and whats in the for ground, background, and panning across. I want to be able to hear everything no matter where I sit(if on axis or off axis with the sweet spot).


If I'm watching a movie, I want to be able to hear the dialog and not have to turn the system up just to hear what they're say to have to turn it down again because the next scene is loud. Again, I want to be able to hear whether I'm on axis or off axis with the sweet spot(and I do understand that the sound is going to shift but I don't want that to ruin the experience for company). I probably will run phantom but eventually I will want a center speaker. I would love to have 3 of the same speakers up front but my space prohibits me from doing that with towers unless I go bookshelf. I know I'm picky but I'm hoping some of you can at least point me in the right direction or give me more ideas to consider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
If you are going to be using a sub i would recommend getting bookshelves instead. The fronts should be crossed at 80hz when using a separate sub so most of the benefit of floorstanders will be wasted. Check out the Paradigm studio 10s and a good sub from HSU, SVS or Epik. You will actually get a far larger frequency range this way. The sats that come with most htibs only go down to between 120-150hz and the "subs" only go down to about 42hz, which is why you're experience with them hasn't been good. The Studio 10s alone go down to 32hz and a decent sub like the Epik legend goes down to 20hz. Crossed over at 80hz the sub will handle everything from 80hz-20hz or below far better than 95% of floorstanders can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasteru /forum/post/20865304


If you are going to be using a sub i would recommend getting bookshelves instead. The fronts should be crossed at 80hz when using a separate sub so most of the benefit of floorstanders will be wasted. Check out the Paradigm studio 10s and a good sub from HSU, SVS or Epik. You will actually get a far larger frequency range this way. The sats that come with most htibs only go down to between 120-150hz and the "subs" only go down to about 42hz, which is why you're experience with them hasn't been good. The Studio 10s alone go down to 32hz and a decent sub like the Epik legend goes down to 20hz. Crossed over at 80hz the sub will handle everything from 80hz-20hz or below far better than 95% of floorstanders can.

So what your saying is that a good bookshelf/ sub combo will be more beneficial than floorstanders???

If I wasn't going to use a sub then the floorstanders would be better???

I'm not trying to debate what you've posted because I'm glad that you did....I'm just trying to get a better understanding how that set up will be better than a tower.

I did have a bookshelf/sub combo back in the day but like you noted my experience wasn't good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project HT /forum/post/20868475


So what your saying is that a good bookshelf/ sub combo will be more beneficial than floorstanders???

If I wasn't going to use a sub then the floorstanders would be better???

I'm not trying to debate what you've posted because I'm glad that you did....I'm just trying to get a better understanding how that set up will be better than a tower.

I did have a bookshelf/sub combo back in the day but like you noted my experience wasn't good.

Correct. The main benefit of floorstanders is better low end extension, If you are going to be using a sub then everything below 80hz will be covered by it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
What sub do you have from your HTIB? a Yamaha?


How large is the room? is the 1400 for just your L/R?

or L/R/C?


I assume you can use your HTIB fronts for your rears
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz /forum/post/20868731


What sub do you have from your HTIB? a Yamaha?


How large is the room? is the 1400 for just your L/R?

or L/R/C?


I assume you can use your HTIB fronts for your rears

Yes my sub for now will be my Yamaha from my htib.


My room is about 15x15.


I was going to use that amount just for the L/R floor standing speakers but now, after reading Dasteru post, he has me reconsidering my options.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top