AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rep Fred Upton (R-MI) is holding a hearing on HDTV on Wednesday. The focus will primarily be on small market broadcasters and the digital transition. It seems like Congressman Upton is sympathetic to giving them an extension of the FCC deadline. Please contact him and your own representative to let them know that this would be a bad idea. http://www.house.gov/upton/contact.htm

Here is a copy of the message that I sent to Congressman Upton:

Congressman Upton,

On Wednesday you will hold a hearing on the plight of small market broadcasters in the conversion to digital television broadcasting. While I appreciate the weakened financial position that many smaller broadcasters find themselves in, we should not forget the interests of the television viewer.

I am an officer in the United States Air Force. In my time in service, I have traveled throughout this country, often residing in small towns in what are considered smaller television markets. The towns may change, but the programming remains constant. High quality network programming is reduced to a barely watchable mess by the local analog broadcaster. The local station provides sensational stories of violence and bank robberies, high school sports and (mostly inaccurate) local weather forecasts. In return the local broadcaster gains market exclusivity for his network's programming. The broadcasters own all of the local viewing “eyeballsâ€. It is a modern day form of serfdom.

Due to exclusive affiliate agreements, the local broadcasters have a monopoly on networking programming. If I did not like my local Ford dealer, I could drive out of town to purchase a new vehicle. If I do not like my local NBC affiliate, I am not so lucky. Many local affiliates will soon ask Congress and the FCC for a waiver on the May 1st, 2002 digital television deadline. At that time, they will have had five years to get on the air. Before you grant any such waiver, please ask, "What about the viewers?"

Broadcasters have known about the digital deadline for years. Many local broadcasters have openly thumbed their noses at the idea of complying with this Congressional deadline. Any station that wants a waiver on the May 2002 deadline should have to grant an out of market waiver to any consumer who wants one.

The conversion to digital television is a burden to local broadcasters. I can see where they may need two or three additional years to raise enough capital and to wait for digital broadcast equipment to become more affordable. This should not give local stations the right to deny high quality programming to consumers. If the local station thinks the market for HDTV is too small, it should not block that same small market from getting digital signals from satellite or cable. Congressman Upton, please remember the interests of the viewers at home in your upcoming hearings.

Respectfully,

James R. Graham II

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm very impressed by your letter - I think it's very well-written and exudes the kind of air which begs it to be taken seriously. Good work!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
At the request of the topic initiator, this is being moved to HDTV Programming.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.