AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on buying a HDTV in the next couple of months and was looking for opinions. I want something in the 46"-50" range and would like to spend less than $2500. Currently I am looking at the 46" Mits, The 50" Toshiba, and the 47" Panasonic. {The 16:9 sets}

Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other regarding these sets. I am also a little hesitant do the the future issues regarding copy protection?

If I choose the Mits I really don't like the stand, does anyone out there have a creative solution?

Thank you

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dave -

I was shopping last week for where you are now - the new Panasonic 47" looked awsome with a progressive scan DVD. At 1995 local price, a bargin!

However, after talking with a few 'knowledgable' salesreps, the room I am putting the box in was too big and I wound up with the Mitsubishi 55" plat. +. OK 1K more, but the same great look of the Panasoinc. The platinum plus had the VGA input plus the better guns, so the $200 price diff was not a thought.

OK the real question on how it looks will have to wait for an answer - being delivered this Thursday.

If I had a smaller room the new Panasonic would have been my choice.

Hope this helps -

Chris

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
May I suggest you also consider viewing distance when choosing a set size. One rule of thumb that seems to work well is to 3.3 x ph for HD; 5 x ph for DVD, and 7 x ph for NTSC (ph = picture height). A 47" set makes you sit about a foot closer than a 55" for DVDs or HD. You call of course. Price of the 46" Mits plus stand in the past seems to come close to that of the 55". I personally don't know much about the newer Panasonics to comment on; I have a Mits.

A great place for information on specific TVs is the Spot. www.***************.com It may seem there is a preponderance of Mits users there, but other sets owners and experts also post there. Good site for tips and tweaks.

Re: copy protection issues. There are numerous posts in several threads here at AVS. It might take an hour or so to read them but you will find there is a lot of good information and thoughtful opinions to be had. One Bottom Line: no one can foresee the future; wait if you wish; but with no regrets I am enjoying my set now. Good Luck

Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.