AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum although very good information here and I appreciate it.

The aim of my HTPC is:

Blu-Ray moviesMusic/Recorded TV (WMC)No gaming

Below is the HTPC build that I am envisionning:

Origen AE Case HTPC-S16V-VFD310 or Wesena Case HTPC-e7?

Asus P7H55 Intel H55 LGA1156 microATX motherboard

Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt

Intel Core i3-530 2.93GHz LGA1156 processor

Kingston valueram 4GB (2x2Gt) 1333MHz DDR3, CL9

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5 8.9ms SATA2 7200RPM 32MB

Samsung SH-B083L/RSBP Blu-Ray Combo 8X Black Sata Retail

Ceton InfiniTV 4 - DCT04IN-FPG-GEN

Enclosure wise, I am still unsure should I'd pick the Origen or the Wenesa since they are both eastically attracting but unaware if they will (quietly) cool enough the internal components.

I plan to attach an additional external drive to save internal heat generation

Remote keyboard has not yet been selected, but not too too concerned about it.

I would appreciate should you please comment on the above selection

Thanks in advance and regards to all,

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot bonscott87 for your reply! Good to know that a 500w would be more than enough.

I like your keyboard option too.

I like the idea of Origen & Wesena enclosures. They are very sleek but as I 've pointed out in my previous thread, unsure if their fans are quiet and well located to mange the heat properly.

Thank again,

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
1. If you're willing to wait for the arrival of the new Wesena cases, then why not why for a shiny new Sandy Bridge cpu as well?

2. A 400-500W modular PSU would be plenty of power for everything you're trying to run.

Nice setup. I plan to do something very similar in late January.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Palehorse! I have not thought about this new Sandy Bridge Technology. In fact I was not aware of it before you wrote your comment. I did a couple of research since, and it looks very good to me. Indeed if I'll wait until the Wenesa to be available, it makes sense to give a shot to the new cpu. My timing is in January too. So hopefully everything will fall into place and in time.

Thanks again !

·
Registered
479 Posts
So no separate graphics card?

I would say a 500W is way overkill...

400W is too much even. You could add in a HD5770 even to a quality 400watt psu. for that computer I would say. Be sure to pick a quiet PSU in either case.

As silence concerned stay away from Corsair CX at least.

Bought one for a budget build. Noise character was horrible compared to a Corsair HX620W I have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nighthog for your comments! Didn't know about the Corsair CX. Corsair was recommended to me, although I will probably consider a 500w anyhow. Nexus was the other one that I had on my psu wish list, but after all, my criteria is based on db level. Indeed I want something effecient but also very quiet.

On a side note... What is the draw back if I use a cpu/mobo with intergrated graphic instead of your highlighted HD5770? I am trying to keep this HTPC quiet, cool and obviously good blu-ray play back. All within a decent cost.

Thanks again

·
Registered
479 Posts
I mainly took it as example so you know you don't need a nuclear reactor in your computer when it's fairly low power in the first place.

Corsair CX are their new budget PSU's. Not the same quality as the other lines but they are fairly cheap though. I had hoped the noise character would stay the same but was disappointed there fairly well.

Well a more powerful graphics card doesn't bring much to a HTPC. Something to consider if you want to play games on it as well.

Another thing is if you want to try "madVR" A little more powerful graphics is required compared to integrated for that, uses shader power a lot. But A HD5770 is overkill I might think. Haven't checked really with which graphics you can manage concerning madVR.

Another aspect is more proper 24p. I think there is usually more sync/stutter issue to get it right with integrated. Many don't seem to notice or care(even a HD5450 would be enough to fix that I guess). (details details)

I manage fine with my HD3200 but then I don't use 24p. I convert it to 25hz as my screen only does 50/60hz. But it's not completely perfect. shudders now and then as the video and screen don't sync all the time. Mostly a issue with panning views in video when it can look like sudden stutter or jerky motion. It comes back and disappears as the sync works and doesn't like in a slow long loop.

It's not dropped frames if you think that though.

The issue is with the video frame rate not matching up perfectly with the video output and screen refresh rate.

·
Registered
695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolorado /forum/post/19578404

Hi guys,

Origen AE Case HTPC-S16V-VFD310 or Wesena Case HTPC-e7?

S16V has VFD only, e7 has 800x480 LCD. It depends what info do you need.
Quote:
Enclosure wise, I am still unsure should I'd pick the Origen or the Wenesa since they are both eastically attracting but unaware if they will (quietly) cool enough the internal components.

Easy task for both of them. Drives don't make to much heat so you can easy put three HDs inside.

Choose quiet HDs. I prefer and use WD.

P.S. I use Corsair VX450W. Very quiet.

BTW Wesena chassis are in the USA already.

Regards

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I recently got a SS-400FL and although the price is steep, the dang thing is unreal. It makes almost no heat, and as expected it is SILENT. I don't know that I can say it is worth it, but maybe it'll pay for itself in 10 years since it's in a machine that's on 24/7.

·
Registered
695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolorado /forum/post/19585782

I like the idea of Origen & Wesena enclosures. They are very sleek but as I 've pointed out in my previous thread, unsure if their fans are quiet and well located to mange the heat properly.

Thank again,

If you consider mATX and integrated video, you can consider OrigenS14V or Wesena e6. Both are with VFD however Origen has bigger VFD than e6.

Look at pictures here

Best regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.