AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While surfing at viahardware.com, I came across a forum on small form factor and quiet PCs. There is some interesting information there on micro-ATX and smaller computers, as well a quiet PC issues.

Apparently Shuttle ( www.spacewalker.com ) is coming put with an update to the SV24 and ss50 barebones computers that will have an AGP slot, a PCI slot, USB 2.0 and firewire, TV out, and a network card, all in a stylish aluminum box only 200 x 181 x 280 mm (7.9 x 7.1 x 11 inches). SPDIF out is a possibility, although unclear at this point.

Obviously, I am aware of the limitations inherent in a small system with only 1 PCI slot. However, as I see it this would make a perfect small HTPC in two configurations. One would be a Radeon AIW and a m-Audio Delta 410 sound card, if Dscaler isn't necessary. The other would be a Radeon non-AIW, a PCI TV tuner, and built-in SPDIF out.

Anyway, the preliminary specs are:

SiS651 chipset/962 southbridge

Integrated USB2.0, 1394

2 DIMM DDR200/266/333

400/533MHz bus support

6Channel CMedia hardware audio

"Heat Pipe" fan duct for processor

choice of two or three case designs

1 AGP

1 PCI

Same case dimensions as SS50.

Available starting in mid June.

The thread is at http://forums.viahardware.com/messag...threadid=14760

Andrew

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Actually this would be of interest for CQC customers, who might want a small, cheap, and simple PC to put in the rack and do nothing but control devices via a multi-port serial card, USB, IP, etc... I might be looking for some such thing myself for my theater. Since I have to abuse my HTPC too much during CQC testing, its hard to keep it stable. So I'm thinking of getting a Leeza with SDI based DVD player. Then I'd only need a computer in the rack for control purposes, and I'd run the CQCClient from my laptop probably. If so, I wouldn't want or need the large box I've got up there now, and would prefer something petite like this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.