AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering either the Onkyo SR800 or the Denon 3803 (refurbished) units. The biggest differences from a practical day-to-day use perspective (beside subjective listening perceptions), seem to be 1) the "upconversion" capability of the Denon, 2) the remote on the Denon is not very user friendly, and 3) the Onkyo is easier to set up and has better technical support.

Can anyone comment on this and explain exactly what this upconversion is and why it is such a big advantage (or not!)?

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
1) It's a nice feature if you are using a combination of composite, S video and component video sources.

The 3803 will allow you to run any combination of the above type inputs, then the 3803 will convert the output for everything onto 1 component video cable. This means the receiver can do all the switching and you won't have to change inputs on your tv or projector when switching between sources such as DSS, DVD, Xbox, etc.

2) All OEM remotes stink to some degree. Get a MX500 universal remote.

3) The denon is a breeze to set up once you learn the set up menu.

I've never had a need for technical support so I can't really comment but the few times I've PM'd DenonJeff on this forum, he has responded promptly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Does anyone have any thoughts on the SR800 vs 3803 consideration? Is the fact that the 3803 is refurbished an issue to consider?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.