Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would give the best picture?

720p unconversion or 1080i ?

Honestly I cant tell which looks better because i have to watch it, press stop, change the conversion then watch it again......

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It is different for every tv and every DVD player.

With my Pioneer 4340 and Denon 2910, the 720P (I think) looks better.

You gotta think that if they do result in a different picture, it can't be too major or you'd notice it. Just choose one and enjoy.

The big question to ask yourself is...does the 720p or 1080i look better then just using 480p or 480i? You may not even benefit from the upconversion player.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Some players do 720 better (Panasonic) and some do 1080 better (LG). Differences are easiest seen on test patterns ... like 12-18 in DVE.

Regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The types of problems I have heard about almost always involve using the DVI-HDMI adaptors ... how DVI players don't want to interface with HDMI tv's and HDMI dvd players not liking DVI TV's.

Regards

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
when they say near hd quality on a summary of the player what does that mean? 576p? I've been eying one of these very closely and was wondering if theres a noticable difference between 480p and upconverted material. Anbody point me in the direction of a good upconversion player with dvi and at a good price? toshiba maybe?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd
when they say near hd quality on a summary of the player what does that mean? 576p? I've been eying one of these very closely and was wondering if theres a noticable difference between 480p and upconverted material. Anbody point me in the direction of a good upconversion player with dvi and at a good price? toshiba maybe?
I dont think it is "near HD" quality. I still find a large discrepancy between the upconverted DVD and movies through HBO HD. However, the PQ from the upconverting dvd player is much better than a regular progressive dvd player IMO. I have the panasonic s77 with the faroudja chip. They are going for less than msrp now...even at B&M stores.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd
when they say near hd quality on a summary of the player what does that mean?
That means they are full of it IMHO.

It's like saying many years ago that "this B&W television set is so good it is almost like a color TV".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.