AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any home theater in a box receivers that also up convert the incoming video?

Is there any with good Ipod compatibility? Like the ability to control the ipod through the remote?

Do these work well with blu-ray in terms of the frames per second or do they downgrade the PQ? Anyone with info on this please help.

Should one invest in 7.1?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Upconverting means taking an analog signal and converting it to digital. Say you have a VCR with an S-video cable, it will then convert the S-video signal to HDMI for your TV. Meaning you only need to connect one wire to your TV.

Upscaling takes a lesser signal, and tries to make it better looking.

Upscaling you probably won't want on your receiver, especially one in an HTIB. Your TV, DVD player, or cable box does this better. Inexpensive receiver, have less than desirable upscalers, and generally best left off.

I am not sure what your first question was asking, since upconversion and upscaling get confused quite often. But yes there are HTiB that can do both.

iPod, I know a lot tout they handle them, and some even come with docks. So I assume yes that means that you can easily control them depending on which setup you get. I don't use an ipod, so I can't really vouch for this though. Also, you could get a dock of some sort that handles a remote as well, which can probably be programmed into a universal remote of some sort.

About the Blu-ray, there is no reason to upscale that. It is already as hi-def as it is going to get. No need for your receiver to do anything but transmit the sound. Generally speaking, it is best to leave your receiver out of the mix, let it handle sound, let your TV handle the picture.

7.1 is up to you. If you have a smaller room, maybe not. If you have a larger room, maybe. Only if you think it is going to be worth it to you. A lot of material is only in 5.1, so that is another thing to consider. Quite a few HTiB come with 7.1 nowadays, if you only want 5.1 you don't have to hook up the other 2 speakers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
IMHO, the Onkyo HT-S6100 ( or the new 6200 ) will do everything you need in an HTiB. It can be set up as either a 7.1 or 5.1 system ( it does come with 7 speakers and a sub woofer ). It also decodes all Dolby and DTS formats, and upscales incoming signals for output via HDMI. And it comes WITH an Ipod dock. IF you can find one ( they sell out FAST ), they usually run anywhere from $550 - $600 depending on the retailer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupfulloflol /forum/post/16999984

Upconverting means taking an analog signal and converting it to digital. Say you have a VCR with an S-video cable, it will then convert the S-video signal to HDMI for your TV. Meaning you only need to connect one wire to your TV.

Upscaling takes a lesser signal, and tries to make it better looking.

Upscaling you probably won't want on your receiver, especially one in an HTIB. Your TV, DVD player, or cable box does this better. Inexpensive receiver, have less than desirable upscalers, and generally best left off.

I am not sure what your first question was asking, since upconversion and upscaling get confused quite often. But yes there are HTiB that can do both.

iPod, I know a lot tout they handle them, and some even come with docks. So I assume yes that means that you can easily control them depending on which setup you get. I don't use an ipod, so I can't really vouch for this though. Also, you could get a dock of some sort that handles a remote as well, which can probably be programmed into a universal remote of some sort.

About the Blu-ray, there is no reason to upscale that. It is already as hi-def as it is going to get. No need for your receiver to do anything but transmit the sound. Generally speaking, it is best to leave your receiver out of the mix, let it handle sound, let your TV handle the picture.

7.1 is up to you. If you have a smaller room, maybe not. If you have a larger room, maybe. Only if you think it is going to be worth it to you. A lot of material is only in 5.1, so that is another thing to consider. Quite a few HTiB come with 7.1 nowadays, if you only want 5.1 you don't have to hook up the other 2 speakers.

Yes, I am confusing upconversion and upscaling. What I meant about blu-ray is I don't want the blu-ray run into the receiver and have the receiver not capable of transferring the picture correctly and causing a downscaling of the picture quality. I want a receiver to make my sd look better if possible without hurting the blu-ray at 60 frames or whatever the blu-ray outputs. I may be dreaming here.

I will look at the Onkyo HT-S6100 or new 6200! Thank you, if anyone has any others for me to look at please send! Does the Onkyo output blu-ray at what it is sent in as from a PS3 (I think it's 1080p/24 on PS3)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.