AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone's tried this. I have a 2001 model Panny EDTV (TH-42PWD4UY), and I've always had big problems with DirecTV display via S-video. The colors were never accurate and the PQ was just poor in general.

I just got a new receiver (Yamaha RX-V1400) that has an "upconversion" (transcoding in disguise) feature which allows an s-video input to be transcoded into component. I thought I'd give this feature a try and lo and behold, the resulting PQ was amazing, relatively speaking. The s-video to component translation improved the PQ greatly in every aspect, and finally directv is watcheable.

I didn't expect any improvement since the receiver is not supposed to improve picture quality, but rather just transcode the input. So I'm pleasantly surprised. Has anyone else tried this yet?

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts
Marius,

Such a conversion can't add data that wasn't there to begin with. I suspect the difference you are seeing is that your TV has an S-video input that is screwed up or that the settings you are using in the TV for the S-video input are screwed up compared to what the TV is doing via the Component input at its current settings.

That is, the difference is probably more in your TV than what your receiver is doing.

--Bob

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
Marius,

Such a conversion can't add data that wasn't there to begin with. I suspect the difference you are seeing is that your TV has an S-video input that is screwed up or that the settings you are using in the TV for the S-video input are screwed up compared to what the TV is doing via the Component input at its current settings.

That is, the difference is probably more in your TV than what your receiver is doing.

--Bob
That is also my suspicion. I do remember people preferring composite over s-video for my model because s-video input was whacked. I think s-video to component conversion probably provides better PQ than composite in this case though.

·
Registered
75” Z8H, 77” A9G
204 Posts
In the Yamaha, the S video signal is separated into luminance (Y) and color difference (Pb, Pr) to provide the best quality in picture production. I wonder if your TV is taking those signals and providing you a better picture by not adding data but by cleaning it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.