AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,


I'm not sure if its just the nature of SD content being upconverted, but it seems that all of my everyday DVDs seem a bit "dark" and slightly "unsaturated" when upconverted via my Xbox 360.


It's not dark enough, nor are the colors bland enough, to render the movies unwatchable. However, I wonder if this is an isolated problem or if its just the nature of the beast?


If anyone is into photography or film production, the picture quality just seems slightly underexposed. Dark scenes are a little too dark and bright scenes aren't bright. Colors do not "pop."


FYI - Now that I think about it, content on SD cable channels also looks a bit dark and murky... maybe it is the nature of the beast?


Here's my setup:

- Xbox 360 connected to a 24" Sony CRT via VGA cable

- Xbox 360 is set to 1366x768 (768p)

- Xbox 360 is on "Expanded" color setting for best contrast; games and true Hi-def material look GREAT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
I've only had my A3 for a short time but both my DVD rentals looked surprisingly sharp and saturated upconverted to 1080i. To the point of seeing bumps on peoples faces, etc.


BTW running a3 connected to Samsung 5064 plasma.
 

·
One-Man Content Creator
Joined
·
25,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 /forum/post/12988711


Hello all,


I'm not sure if its just the nature of SD content being upconverted, but it seems that all of my everyday DVDs seem a bit "dark" and slightly "unsaturated" when upconverted via my Xbox 360.


It's not dark enough, nor are the colors bland enough, to render the movies unwatchable. However, I wonder if this is an isolated problem or if its just the nature of the beast?


If anyone is into photography or film production, the picture quality just seems slightly underexposed. Dark scenes are a little too dark and bright scenes aren't bright. Colors do not "pop."


FYI - Now that I think about it, content on SD cable channels also looks a bit dark and murky... maybe it is the nature of the beast?


Here's my setup:

- Xbox 360 connected to a 24" Sony CRT via VGA cable

- Xbox 360 is set to 1366x768 (768p)

- Xbox 360 is on "Expanded" color setting for best contrast; games and true Hi-def material look GREAT

Are you using a calibration disc? That's the first step before making any judgments. Brief notes here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9889995


-Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts
I see what your getting at here. I'd have to agree that compared to true HD, SD is a little flat and could certainly be described as you are describing it.



Generally it looks pretty awesome for me though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
This really should be in the HD-DVD player section...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Is your 360 online? I believe there was an update quite a long time ago now that addressed a "washed out" color issue on the 360 through a VGA connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/12989047


Are you using a calibration disc? That's the first step before making any judgments. Brief notes here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9889995


-Bill

Yep, already did that. Xbox 360 games and true high-definition content look great.


It's SD content that's a little...eh.


I wonder if that's simply the case with upconverted SD content...because SD content on cable TV also looks a bit flat...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troma /forum/post/12994258


Is your 360 online? I believe there was an update quite a long time ago now that addressed a "washed out" color issue on the 360 through a VGA connection.

Yep, got that already.


It allows for a new setting/option called "Expanded" (expands the contrast in DVD playback, as well as in games).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Does it look the same through component cables?


You have a 24" Sony HD CRT? What model is it? I'd love to get one for the bedroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troma /forum/post/12997846


You have a 24" Sony HD CRT? What model is it? I'd love to get one for the bedroom.

I have my XBox 360 (that is also an upconverting DVD player) hooked up to a 24" Sony FW900 CRT via 1st party Microsoft VGA cable. You can only find it used for a few hundred bucks on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. but it's totally worth it if you can find a good sample and have sufficient space (since this thing is HUGE).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troma /forum/post/12997846


Does it look the same through component cables?

I really don't think it's a connection issue.


This "slightly darker" image is the same phenomenon as when you tune into an analog television channel.


For example: turn to your local ABC station's analog channel. Then immediately switch to the HD version of the same ABC channel.


You will notice the analog version's whites aren't as white. The darks aren't as darks. Colors aren't as saturated.


I'm guessing this is simply the nature of the source material (SD DVD)?
 

·
One-Man Content Creator
Joined
·
25,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 /forum/post/13088685


I really don't think it's a connection issue.


This "slightly darker" image is the same phenomenon as when you tune into an analog television channel.


For example: turn to your local ABC station's analog channel. Then immediately switch to the HD version of the same ABC channel.


You will notice the analog version's whites aren't as white. The darks aren't as darks. Colors aren't as saturated.


I'm guessing this is simply the nature of the source material (SD DVD)?

They all use the same grayscale and color depth.


-Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/13089537


They all use the same grayscale and color depth.


-Bill

Everyone thinks I'm nuts... okay...


I've noticed digital SD channels have good color reproduction. It's the analog ones, when upconverted, look like my upconverted DVDs.
 

·
One-Man Content Creator
Joined
·
25,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 /forum/post/13102398


Everyone thinks I'm nuts... okay...


I've noticed digital SD channels have good color reproduction. It's the analog ones, when upconverted, look like my upconverted DVDs.

I'm sure there is a difference, but it does not come from built-in limitations of the sources. Some other cause, unknown to me.


-Bill
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top