AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought and returned a Panasonic S53 because it wouldn't play (Yes, I finalized them) DVD+R's recorded by my Magnavox combo VHS/DVD recorder. I bought a LG DN798. Nope. It does play a DVD+RW a buddy of mine recorded. It's not entirely my Maganavox's fault. Cheap $25 DVD players from Wal-Mart will play them no problem. However, $100 DVD upconverters won't?

I would prefer they do 1080P upscaling to keep my Mits 57732 from upconverting the content.

Anyone have an upscaling DVD player (under $150) that plays DVD+R's with certainty?

Thanks in advance.

· One-Man Content Creator
25,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/0

I bought and returned a Panasonic S53 because it wouldn't play (Yes, I finalized them) DVD+R's recorded by my Magnavox combo VHS/DVD recorder. I bought a LG DN798. Nope. It does play a DVD+RW a buddy of mine recorded. It's not entirely my Maganavox's fault. Cheap $25 DVD players from Wal-Mart will play them no problem. However, $100 DVD upconverters won't?

I would prefer they do 1080P upscaling to keep my Mits 57732 from upconverting the content.

Anyone have an upscaling DVD player (under $150) that plays DVD+R's with certainty?

Thanks in advance.

Recorders have a bad reputation for producing out-of-spec discs. Also, players sometimes work well with some media codes and not with others.

You can look up compatibility notes by media here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia , or by player here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers , or by recorder: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders .

I have two Oppo players that have played all my +R, -R , +RW and +R DL except for one -R type that seemed to be unlucky. The Oppo 970 is $149 new, less refurbished.

-Bill

· Registered
2,764 Posts
My Oppo 971H has played every disc I've ever put it it; +R, -R , +RW and +R DL plus it will play Divx. You can pick up a used one on e-Bay or keep checking the For Sale forum on AVS. There's one for sale now on AVS and a couple on e-Bay.

· Registered
4,052 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/0

Recorders have a bad reputation for producing out-of-spec discs. Also, players sometimes work well with some media codes and not with others.

I have two Oppo players that have played all my +R, -R , +RW and +R DL except for one -R type that seemed to be unlucky. The Oppo 970 is $149 new, less refurbished.

-Bill

Hey bill,

Hopefully you can help me. I'm a little discouraged about my new oppo 970HD. I burned a couple .avi xvid tv shows to a DVD+R and it doesn't seem to be working. I used toast 8 (mac) to burn it and i burned it as a data file (data file for PC). Is there something i'm missing.

To give you an idea of what it's doing, it will show the screen with all the files on it but once I click on one, it just plays the audio and not the video. Please helP!!!!

· One-Man Content Creator
25,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpodium /forum/post/0

Hey bill,

Hopefully you can help me. I'm a little discouraged about my new oppo 970HD. I burned a couple .avi xvid tv shows to a DVD+R and it doesn't seem to be working. I used toast 8 (mac) to burn it and i burned it as a data file (data file for PC). Is there something i'm missing.

To give you an idea of what it's doing, it will show the screen with all the files on it but once I click on one, it just plays the audio and not the video. Please helP!!!!

Just a guess: what is the resolution of the xvid files? None of the Oppos will play any HD format. The video must be limited to maximum of (I believe) 720 x 576.

If that's not it, try the 970 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=682896

-Bill

· Registered
196 Posts

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Try the new Samsung HD-DVD1080P7. I have a panny E55 recorder and the sammy 1080P7 plays the -R & +R and the +RW's with no problem. In my opinion, it also has a better PQ than the S53, and it cost $99 at CC.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOc90 /forum/post/0

Try the new Samsung HD-DVD1080P7. I have a panny E55 recorder and the sammy 1080P7 plays the -R & +R and the +RW's with no problem. In my opinion, it also has a better PQ than the S53, and it cost $99 at CC.

Cool. So, far I've tried a Panny S53, an LG DN798 and a Philips DVP5982.

None of them will play DVD+R's recorded by my Magnavox MRV700 recorder. However, off the shelf $25 DVD players at Wal-Mart/Target, etc. will. All 3 of the above are 1080P upconverters. I'm wondering if they got their lasers from the same company.

· Registered
8,253 Posts
My Sony NS75H has played every burned disc I have.

Those discs were made on a computer (mostly on Mac, but a couple of PC jobs as well), not a stand-alone unit, however.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:

This is a big fat NO on the Sammy 1080P7. It complained just like the Philips. It either said no disc or disc error. Grr! What's so hard about this?

I'm not crying about it. It lacks a USB port unlike every other model I tested.

I think I've tried every 1080P upconverter @ BB around $100. I may try the Philips DVD recorder, but it's only 1080i. Sigh.

· Registered
196 Posts

Quote:

This is a big fat NO on the Sammy 1080P7. It complained just like the Philips. It either said no disc or disc error. Grr! What's so hard about this?

I'm not crying about it. It lacks a USB port unlike every other model I tested.

I think I've tried every 1080P upconverter @ BB around $100. I may try the Philips DVD recorder, but it's only 1080i. Sigh.

I don't know why it doesn't play the +r's from your recorder. That surprises me
The Sammy plays everything that I have put in it except for ram disc.

I record a show every day for my wife so she can watch it when she gets home and it always plays them fine. I even recorded the nascar race on a DVD +R DL last week while my wife and I went for a ride on my bike. When we got back I watched the whole race without a glitch...great picture.

I wish ya the best and hope that you find 1 that will work for ya !

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:

I don't know why it doesn't play the +r's from your recorder. That surprises me
The Sammy plays everything that I have put in it except for ram disc.

I record a show every day for my wife so she can watch it when she gets home and it always plays them fine. I even recorded the nascar race on a DVD +R DL last week while my wife and I went for a ride on my bike. When we got back I watched the whole race without a glitch...great picture.

I wish ya the best and hope that you find 1 that will work for ya !

I just hit that same Sammy up with a DVD-R from GQ (Great Quality are Sony's sold at a steep discount at Fry's Electronics). The DVD-R is a copy I made of a DVD+R (containing some old recorded TV content) on my computer using Nero. Get this: The copy failed on my computer but the target DVD-R played fine on the Samsung.
Err... umm... Next!

I don't have the patience to copy hundreds of discs to DVD-R. No, that Sammy is going back to the store. I really want a 1080P. I can tell the difference when my TV tries to scale up to 1080P or when the DVD player does it. The DVD player does a better job despite what those guys at Engadget say.

I'm tempted by the Oppo 981, but $229 is too much. That's getting way too close to HD-DVD territory.

Thanks to all for assisting me with this.

· Registered
196 Posts

Quote:

I just hit that same Sammy up with a DVD-R from GQ (Great Quality are Sony's sold at a steep discount at Fry's Electronics). The DVD-R is a copy I made of a DVD+R (containing some old recorded TV content) on my computer using Nero. Get this: The copy failed on my computer but the target DVD-R played fine on the Samsung.
Err... umm... Next!

I don't have the patience to copy hundreds of discs to DVD-R. No, that Sammy is going back to the store. I really want a 1080P. I can tell the difference when my TV tries to scale up to 1080P or when the DVD player does it. The DVD player does a better job despite what those guys at Engadget say.

I'm tempted by the Oppo 981, but $229 is too much. That's getting way too close to HD-DVD territory.

Thanks to all for assisting me with this.

I just don't understand why your's wont play the +R's. You think it could be a bad player and try another one ?

Do you know if anybody else is having the same problem ?

I have a bunch ( maybe around 125 or so ) of movies on +R, -R, +R DL, and +RW's and they have all played fine. I use them for backups for when I travel. That way , if I forget one some were or it get's scratched, it's not a big deal.

I don't know....maybe I just got lucky with the player I have.

I really wanted a oppo also....but like you, I just could not see putting that much more $ into it when I plan to get a HD or blue-ray sooner or later.

I have to say that I am very happy with the 1080P7 so far. I tried a lot players and this one is the best one so far. I know a lot on here don't like it but thats why they make all kinds of em....we all have our own standards of what we want.

· Registered
22 Posts

Quote:

Whether or not you find a 1080p upconverter that plays your DVD+R disks, it appears to me that it would be a good idea to buy a new DVD recorder as you certainly don't want to make any more DVDs that are so difficult to play. In particular, you might want to choose a new recorder that makes DVDs that can be played on any of the 1080p upscaling DVD players mentioned above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.