AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I live in central florida and my cable company is brighthouse and I have noticed that about 1/4 - 1/2 of all my HD channels are really horrible looking and I can tell by looking at them that they are just upconverting the image, however how is it possible for them to be charging me for these channels when they aren't true HD and look grainy and horrible?

Just incase anyone is wondering which channels I'm talking about..like WMOR, WTTAH, WTOG..ect

Heck, I even called them and asked and they had no clue to what I was talking about and said it's prolly my tv !!

Anybody feel free to comment. Is it just brighthouse that does this? Is it just me going through this?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Very little on broadcast TV outside of primetime, sports, and possibly the news is HD. The syndicated shows that fill most of the schedule on independent/CW/MNTV stations are not produced or distributed in HD at this time. Your cable provider has nothing to do with this as they simply pass along what they receive from the station.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Keep in mind that so far only a very few program sources are 100% HD all the time. HDNet, HDMovies, and Discovery are a few that come to mind. Some others, like Mojo or TNT and always transmitting a HD signal but some programs have been upconverted and/or stretched from lower rez sources.

Your local affiliates like WMOR will have most but not all network-originated prime time shows in HD, but many daytime, late night, tape delayed network, or local-originated shows like the local newscasts will probably be in SD, and possibly poorly upconverted from the analog NTSC side of the station to boot.

In many major markets, the local affils have bought and installed the gear to originate local material in HD, but it's obscenely expensive. Middle to small markets may not get there for a while, some maybe never.

So while you should expect to see Lost or CSI ot the Super Bowl in full HD, Oprah or the 6PM news will probably not be, and the quality may actually be worse than the analog-delivered NTSC version on the legacy channel.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightman4u /forum/post/12992814

I have a question. I live in central florida and my cable company is brighthouse and I have noticed that about 1/4 - 1/2 of all my HD channels are really horrible looking and I can tell by looking at them that they are just upconverting the image, however how is it possible for them to be charging me for these channels when they aren't true HD and look grainy and horrible?

Well, I think you need to keep in mind that the cable company doesn't control the broadcasters, and so your beef is actually with the channels themselves, not Brighthouse.

Beyond that, if you feel that the price/value proposition of cable isn't worth it, you should unsubscribe. That's the most powerful way of communicating your dissatisfaction.

Quote:

Heck, I even called them and asked and they had no clue to what I was talking about and said it's prolly my tv !!

Given that the problem you're talking about is probably not with their service, and that the cable company probably has no control, that's not surprising. What you're concerned about is something that, for good or ill, apparently most viewers don't notice, don't mind or perhaps even prefer (i.e., preferring stretched versus black bars). For good or ill.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As it relates to "charging for HD" I'm not sure how it works down there but I suspect that you are just being charged a flat rate for HD access. As time goes on and channels and programming are added your bill will remain the same. Rate hikes not withstanding....

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
If they are charging you per channel I would also complain, if it is a package that should be fine...

·
Registered
637 Posts

Quote:

Just incase anyone is wondering which channels I'm talking about..like WMOR, WTTAH, WTOG..ect

Anybody feel free to comment. Is it just brighthouse that does this? Is it just me going through this?

As someone stated earlier, your beef is actually with the channels/networks that deliver content to Brighthouse. Brighthouse is actually giving you an HD channel (with all the necessary bandwidth, etc.) but the content may be SD.

I'm with Directv and several of their recently added HD channels air very little HD content. They've dedicated HD bandwidth to the channel but they can only broadcast what the networks give them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts