AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a novice so please forgive me if I'm not explaining myself correctly. My understanding is that my Pioneer VSX92TXH upscales to 1080p and is not just a pass through. Is that correct? My DVD player also upconverts to 1080p. I use HDMI to connect my DVD to the receiver. Every 10 seconds or so, my audio cuts out for about a second. It's the same effect as hitting your mute button for a second. The video is not effected (and looks quite good for a standard DVD), but the constant blips in the audio make it tortuous to watch anything. It happens with every single DVD that I play. In order to test whether there is a problem with my DVD player, I unplugged the HDMI from my Pioneer receiver and plugged it directly into my 1080p television. It solved the problem. Obviously, I want to utilize my receiver and surround speakers, so my "test" is not going to be a solution.

Are there any known bugs involved in having a signal go through two upconversions? If so, wouldn't it be a video problem and not audio? Any suggestions regarding my particular problem?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn20 /forum/post/14339666

I'm a novice so please forgive me if I'm not explaining myself correctly. My understanding is that my Pioneer VSX92TXH upscales to 1080p and is not just a pass through. Is that correct? My DVD player also upconverts to 1080p. I use HDMI to connect my DVD to the receiver. Every 10 seconds or so, my audio cuts out for about a second. It's the same effect as hitting your mute button for a second. The video is not effected (and looks quite good for a standard DVD), but the constant blips in the audio make it tortuous to watch anything. It happens with every single DVD that I play. In order to test whether there is a problem with my DVD player, I unplugged the HDMI from my Pioneer receiver and plugged it directly into my 1080p television. It solved the problem. Obviously, I want to utilize my receiver and surround speakers, so my "test" is not going to be a solution.

Are there any known bugs involved in having a signal go through two upconversions? If so, wouldn't it be a video problem and not audio? Any suggestions regarding my particular problem?

I doubt if it is a problem with multiple upconversions, although you might try varying the output resolution of the DVD player to see if that changes the behavior.

HDMI is notorious for these sorts of glitches. I don't have specific advice for you, other than to try the HDMI forum here, and see if there is a thread for your Pioneer in the receiver forum.

-Bill

·
Registered
185 Posts
I upconvert from my Zenith 318 (the LG version since I'm in Canada) to a Benq 500 which also upconverts with no problem.

(And hello to Bill McClain. We used to correspond about your Shakespeare reviews some years ago.)

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts