AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a dvd recorder with hd upconversion playback that also has a setting to flag recording as anamorphic/widescreen. you see, most of the content I'll be recording is 480i anamorphic. However without the proper flag encoded on the disc, dvd players will always treat the content as 4:3. This is important for several reasons. For example, if you loan an improperly flagged widescreen recording to somebody with a 4:3 set (mine are all 16:9), their dvd player will assume it's fullscreen and play it back in the wrong aspect. If the proper flag is on the disc, it will behave like a commerical widescreen dvd and automatically add the letterboxing. Another reason this is useful is for those of us with TVs that sense the aspect of the incoming signal and automatically change zoom/wide mode accordingly.


I know the old Toshiba D-R4 had this setting, as well as the Cyberhome 1600. From what I can tell from the Toshiba D-R5 pdf manual it does NOT.


Thanks,

M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/0


The Toshiba XS series will do this. Look for one with HDMI. Also the Toshiba RD-KX50 can flag anamorphic and has HDMI. I have the RD-KX50. It is an exceptional DVD recorder. Extremely feature rich.

Nextoo,


Thanks for the reply. The one with HDMI is way out of my price range ($700 msrp) and I don't need the hard drive feature. Also, I would REALLY like to find something with Coax digital audio if at all possible since my receiver's TOSlink inputs are all in use currently.


Anyone know if there is such a thing as an optical "Y" adapter that will allow two lines to share an input?


Thanks again

m
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderhole /forum/post/0


Nextoo,


Thanks for the reply. The one with HDMI is way out of my price range ($700 msrp) and I don't need the hard drive feature. Also, I would REALLY like to find something with Coax digital audio if at all possible since my receiver's TOSlink inputs are all in use currently.


Anyone know if there is such a thing as an optical "Y" adapter that will allow two lines to share an input?


Thanks again

m


Yes Toshiba is pricey. I think it is probably why they don't sell more. But they are outstanding. I've tested every brand. I got very lucky with the RD-KX50. I picked up two on ebay. One for $37 and the other for something like $80 and they are mint. New in box with the remotes removed. I got very lucky. Especially with HDD models becoming rare.


There are both optical and COAX digital passive and active switches. And optical and COAX converters. Check monoprice.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Wait until the new recorders all come out in March. Given that they'll all have integrated digital tuners, they likely will keep the 16:9 flags when recording directly from an OTA or unscrambled QAM channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderhole /forum/post/0


I'm trying to find a dvd recorder with hd upconversion playback that also has a setting to flag recording as anamorphic/widescreen. you see, most of the content I'll be recording is 480i anamorphic. However without the proper flag encoded on the disc, dvd players will always treat the content as 4:3. This is important for several reasons. For example, if you loan an improperly flagged widescreen recording to somebody with a 4:3 set (mine are all 16:9), their dvd player will assume it's fullscreen and play it back in the wrong aspect. If the proper flag is on the disc, it will behave like a commerical widescreen dvd and automatically add the letterboxing. Another reason this is useful is for those of us with TVs that sense the aspect of the incoming signal and automatically change zoom/wide mode accordingly.


I know the old Toshiba D-R4 had this setting, as well as the Cyberhome 1600. From what I can tell from the Toshiba D-R5 pdf manual it does NOT.


Thanks,

M

The Toshiba RD-XS55 has the Upconverter and HDMI Output. the RD-XS35 Does not have HDMI. I do not believe that there is a DVD Recorder the allows you to set the 16:9 Flag and has an HDMI output without a Hard Disk. In fact, I think the ONLY one is the Toshiba RD-XS55. Pricey, but if you shop you can get one for less than the Pannasonic DMR-EH55. In the mid four hundred range. Try B&H Photo.


Nextoo,

You must have got the deal of the century!

Aren't those Toshibas Nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. Great to hear about the optical/coax converters...sure gives me more options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan /forum/post/0


Wait until the new recorders all come out in March. Given that they'll all have integrated digital tuners, they likely will keep the 16:9 flags when recording directly from an OTA or unscrambled QAM channel.

Not sure if these will be of any help to me. My main needs are to record anamorphic from my Dish DVR (via S-video) and my canon camcorder...so I have to have some manual setting to force the 16:9 flag.


I went out and grabbed a Samsung R135 yesterday and love everything about it except, of course, it doesnt flag anamorphic
Will keep my eyes open for other options before my return window closes.


-M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots1 /forum/post/0


The Toshiba RD-XS55 has the Upconverter and HDMI Output. the RD-XS35 Does not have HDMI. I do not believe that there is a DVD Recorder the allows you to set the 16:9 Flag and has an HDMI output without a Hard Disk. In fact, I think the ONLY one is the Toshiba RD-XS55. Pricey, but if you shop you can get one for less than the Pannasonic DMR-EH55. In the mid four hundred range. Try B&H Photo.


Nextoo,

You must have got the deal of the century!

Aren't those Toshibas Nice!

They were nice deals for sure. But no remotes. So some more $'s. But still cheap. Although the remotes from my KR2's work fine with them.


FYI - the RD-KX50 I mention can set the widescreen flag and also has HDMI output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,562 Posts
if you can find a toshiba dr2 somewhere, it will definitely do anamorphic/letterbox recordings. on a pj the image isnt the best (not bad either). a buddy has a 50 " set and they look really good! i
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Does anyone know how the anamorphic bit is set on the Toshiba XS55? Is it a menu setting or does it happen automatically? Also does anyone know for sure that it can be set (or detected and set) correctly with 1394 firewire input?

Thanks,

--samullin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samullin /forum/post/0


Does anyone know how the anamorphic bit is set on the Toshiba XS55? Is it a menu setting or does it happen automatically? Also does anyone know for sure that it can be set (or detected and set) correctly with 1394 firewire input?

Thanks,

--samullin

The Toshiba allows you to set the flag as an option. The XS and KX series as well as the DR2 and the KR2 handle this the same with the exact same menu options. The DR2 and the KR2 are models that do not have HDD's. The XS and KX series are HDD models. Here are a couple of pics showing the options. Pic one is in the setup menu. Here you can set an aspect ratio as a default. The second is during the DVD-Creation process. Here you can set it as well. These options do not discriminate between input sources meaning they are available for 1394 input.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderhole /forum/post/0


Component inputs are all used up

A common problem.


I have 4 Component Video sources going to my HDTV but it only has 2 such inputs. I route 2 of them (Standard Definition) through an A/V Receiver which feeds one of the

inputs on the HDTV, and the other two (High Definition) through a 4:2 Matrix Switch which feeds the other input on the HDTV.


I mention this only to point out that there are ways around having more Component Video sources that your HDTV has Component Video inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderhole /forum/post/0


I'm trying to find a dvd recorder with hd upconversion playback that also has a setting to flag recording as anamorphic/widescreen. you see, most of the content I'll be recording is 480i anamorphic. However without the proper flag encoded on the disc, dvd players will always treat the content as 4:3. This is important for several reasons. For example, if you loan an improperly flagged widescreen recording to somebody with a 4:3 set (mine are all 16:9), their dvd player will assume it's fullscreen and play it back in the wrong aspect. If the proper flag is on the disc, it will behave like a commerical widescreen dvd and automatically add the letterboxing. Another reason this is useful is for those of us with TVs that sense the aspect of the incoming signal and automatically change zoom/wide mode accordingly.


I know the old Toshiba D-R4 had this setting, as well as the Cyberhome 1600. From what I can tell from the Toshiba D-R5 pdf manual it does NOT.


Thanks,

M

FWIW, I control the widescreen flag with an external Video Filter box from Logic Design. It can be connected in series with an S-video cable, a composite (yellow) video cable or the green cable of component video (I have not tried the component video application because my DVD recorder stops at S-video).


My Pioneer DVD recorder detects and retains the widescreen flag that is provided by the Video Filter box. I make most of my DVD recordings from my DirecTV HD TiVo box which outputs anamorphic video over the S-video output. The DVD video quality results compare to many commercial DVDs, as long as I keep the recording times below 2 hours.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top