AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have compared the picture quality of an example movie using an upconverting player hooked via, DVI/HDMI and compared that movie scene by scene say against a High Definition Broadcast of a Movie. For example: Spiderman2 is now being broadcast in HD on HBOHD. Has anyone done a scene by scene comparison?

I need to know if there is any significant difference. If not, we are better off with up-converting players.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
There is a significant difference between HD material and upscaled DVDs on my CRT projector to a 106" 16:9 screen. On smaller screens, the difference is there, but not nearly as noticable.

Dave

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If your TV / Projector has a substandard scaler, an good upconverting player will make big improvement over a non upconverting player. However, it will not turn DVD PQ into HDTV PQ. You can't compensate for lack of source resolution. Or as they say "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear."

Jon

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subha
I need to know if there is any significant difference. If not, we are better off with up-converting players.
The best HD is 1920x1080 pixels.

The best DVD is 640x480 pixels.

Do the math. Properly displayed HD will smoke DVDs, upconverting or not.

Have you not seen HDTV on a properly calibrated 65"+ image?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think the question is more about the quality of HBO broadcast HD.

All the HD channels have developed a different resolution they broadcast in. Some look better than others.

The stuff on HDnet looks better because of the cameras and the frame rate.

Does HBO use a differnt source for the film? or are they just broadcasting from a

640x480 (DVD) source?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood
Does HBO use a differnt source for the film? or are they just broadcasting from a

640x480 (DVD) source?
No. HBO does not broadcast from DVD. Their HD movies are HD transfers. However, there are many factors involved that determine how the movie ultimately looks. HBO butchers 2.35 movies. That can affect PQ. Bit rate and compression by DirecTV, Dish, cable, etc can significantly affect the delivered PQ. Also, the movies may be transmitted at a horizontal resolution significantly less than 1920.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I've directly compared a 480i DVD (scaled to 1080i) vs a 1080p DVD (interlaced to 1080i) on the same monitor (56" Pio Elite CRT TV) using the same player with the same movie.

The 1080p source looked sharper and more detailed. True even if just doing casual viewing (vs. pause/examine).

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
No question that upconverted DVD at 720p or 1080p looks absolutely gorgeous, but it doesn't have the detail of an HD source. Having seen both side by side it's fairly obvious when you have HD as opposed to DVD, but by all means scaling video up is the best way to view it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 30 inch 16x9 CRT. I plan to get a 1280x720 WXGA LCD or DLP projector in the future.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
DVDs are encoded as 720x480, yes?

larry
Yes, that is correct.. i got in a bit of a rush there. HDTV still can provide 6X the pixel density of the DVD format. Upconversion or not.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
You were thinking 4:3 most likely. 640x480 is a common res.

larry
Yes. And actually I think 4:3 DVDs might be encoded at 640x480.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Scamardo
Yes. And actually I think 4:3 DVDs might be encoded at 640x480.
No, all NTSC DVDs are 720x480 pixels. The DVD pixels are not square.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Quote:
No, all NTSC DVDs are 720x480 pixels. The DVD pixels are not square.
Correct. DVDs use non-square pixels. HD formats use square pixels.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles
No question that upconverted DVD at 720p or 1080p looks absolutely gorgeous, but it doesn't have the detail of an HD source. Having seen both side by side it's fairly obvious when you have HD as opposed to DVD, but by all means scaling video up is the best way to view it.

What he said.... ;)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am using the Iscan HD with the Denon 3910 with an sdi mod boing to a 65" Mits RPTV. So, while the picture may be slightly sharper from the HD movie channels than what I am getting from my dvd combo, I still hate the pixelation seen in fast movine scenes caused by the low bitrate. Some are worse that others, but I get Starz, Showtime, Cinemaz, and HBO in HD.

·
23,005 Posts
Quote:
I still hate the pixelation seen in fast movine scenes caused by the low bitrate. Some are worse that others, but I get Starz, Showtime, Cinemaz, and HBO in HD.
I see that too, but it wasn't always that way - same channels on Comcast. To me it seemed to start happening after a firmware upgrade, but can't be sure. It's been a while now. My theory is that some movies are actually higher bitrate than others and the cable stb can't keep up during fast motion scenes.

larry

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have 2 upconverting players and also quite a bit of HD material. I have put in many hours watching both and I can tell you that even on my 30" Sony crt that there is a noticeable difference between HD and upconverted dvds. As others have said, there is just more detail in the HD material than upconverted material. The colors with HD are also deeper and richer due to the higher color resolution.

That being said, upconverted dvds are the next best thing to HD movies and have sometimes surprised me with how similar they looked to the HD versions. Until HD material is available in an optical disc format I think it is very worthwhile to get an upconverting player if you have a high definition display.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.