AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upconverting Satellite (DTC-100 vs HTPC)

579 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RTK 
#1 ·
I have an RCA DTC-100 High Def satellite receiver that I currently watch standard def (upconverted) and high def programming through. I have always wondered if I am getting a better or worse picture on standard def channels through the DTC-100 than I would by using a HTPC. Can anyone comment on how the the DTC-100 compares to a HTPC with say a MyHD card. Right now my HTPC does everything except TV for me. Any reason to consider changing?

#2 ·
As a former DTC-100 owner I always thought it did a respectable job of outputting standard definition channels. I honestly don't think you are going to see much difference in the quality of the standard definition channels as compared to the output of standard def channels with the MyHD card.

If you are not satisfied with the SD output from your DTC-100 or you like to tweak you certainly could use an HTPC to process the S-video output. Use an inexpensive input card, ie Flyvideo2000, with Dscaler or a more complete package such as the Holo3dgraph. Both options options would allow you to deinterlace/scale, compensate for display overscan, provide a resolution that matches that of your display (1:1 pixel mapping) or send a resolution that is an even multiple of your source, ie 1280x960i. This would require time and effort but the results can make it worthwhile.

One of the biggest factors to consider is your screen size as processing the image on a larger screen will yield more noticeable (good or bad) results.

Good luck.

#3 ·
I can tell you from my experience that the RCA HD Box is much worse than the htpc using Dscaler!

I have the the DCT-100 sitting in the bedroom, brand new used about 30 days. It`s been sitting there for a year and half used. Too much noise in the picture due to upscaling to 540p. Dscaler gives a much cleaner signal.

I use the Flyvideo tv card also.

#4 ·
What is your display device? When I had a 27" SVGA monitor, I couldn't distinguish between the DTC-100 and dScaler. Now with a projector it is more noticeable, since the scan lines are actually visible. If you don't have a large display, I would stick with the RCA for simplicity.

#5 ·
DTC100's SD output is fine through its S-video output, but the upconverted SD emerging from the VGA output leaves a lot to be desired. Almost any modern scaler will beat it.

Many of the later-generation DirecTV set top boxes use the Faroudja chip and these do an excellent job of scaling -- arguably better than HTPC.

#6 ·
i agree with Robert as will many.

many DTC100 owners prefer this receiver's s-video (480i) vs the upconverted VGA (540p). This is one reason for myself personally going with a Holo3d II scaler card, so i can properly scale s-video for standard definition broadcasts. I will then watch HD via passthrough unaltered.

I am very pleased with s-video now thanks to the Holo3d!

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. For those of you who recommend dscaler vs. the DTO-100 (for satellite tv), how are you getting the picuture from satellite to your capture card?? S-video?? Would the improvements be seen even with a low $$ card supported by dscaler like a Hauppauge WinTV?b

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.