AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does video processing (upconverting or scaling) really work?

Here is the situation, if you are sending an ANALOG signal (ie. Sat. box) to your receiver, and your receiver has the capabilities to upconvert or scale, can it really do it to an ANALOG signal. How can any receiver claim that it upconverts to 1080p, if there is no digital information that it can process?

Does it upconvert/scale digital sources only?

Has any really noticed an improvement in picture? using Denon 2808 or Onkyo 605?

ps. the sat. box is connecting to the receiver via component and then from receiver to HDMI to tv.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Without scaling, you wouldn't have a picture on your TV. Nowadays people have multiple components that can do the scaling/deinterlacing - DVD player, receiver, TV. The question you have to answer is, which device has the better scaler?

Despite the fact that I have a receiver with a Reon processor, I use the scaler in my Pioneer TV because I think it does a better job. Every combination of components is different. The only way to tell which one is doing the best job is to test each scaler one at a time. You can use the HQV test disk for objective comparisons if your source is a DVD player.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MichaelJHuman - thanx man... very informative...

so the true benefit is being able to run 1 cable to your tv.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh9 /forum/post/12988629

MichaelJHuman - thanx man... very informative...

so the true benefit is being able to run 1 cable to your tv.

Thank you.

That's what you learned from his article

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha... i learnt that the feature is way overblowned by marketing materials... and choicing a receiver should really be based on quality of audio... and video processing secondary.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
HDMI upconversion (or transcoding as some prefer,) can allow for a single cable connection to your display, yes.

There are of course other potential benefits to video processors in receivers. One person said their video processor improved their cable signal. Don't except dramatic improvements though. The people most likely to see improvements are the people who know exactly what they are looking for (there are benchmarks you can use to test video processor performance.)

I should post this in that writeup -

http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

With such tools available, we should be able to do side by side comparisons of AVR video processing. Maybe that will become more common.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh9 /forum/post/12988943

haha... i learnt that the feature is way overblowned by marketing materials... and choicing a receiver should really be based on quality of audio... and video processing secondary.

That is likely my bias. Of course not everyone would agree with me.

I was looking at a review of the Yamaha RX-V3800, and the reviewer DID test the 3800's video processing with HQV and was pleased with the result. On the other hand, he was using an HDMI connection from his cable box, and the 3800 can't deinterlace 480i/HDMI, only analog. Odd restriction if you ask me. Anyway, that limitation made that receivers' VP much less useful for him.

I applaud him for using the benchmarks in any case ( http://www.ultimateavmag.com/avrecei...00/index1.html )

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all that being said... How can evaulate the processors in receivers, such as ONkyo 605 or Denon 2808 or Yamaha 1800.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Read reviews online to see if anyone bothered to subject the receiver to any benchmarks.

Alternatively, buy from a place with a good return policy and run the benchmarks yourself.

Becoming a picky videophile could have it's downside though. You will be more likely to notice flaws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts