AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a moderator on a car forum so to keep things simple I've been searching for an answer for a few hours now and still can't seem to find what I need. I think part of it is just because I'm not certain what terminology to use so hopefully this makes sense, any help is appreciated.

I just bought the Samsung HP-T5054 and I've written down all the calibration settings that were suggested so I'll make those adjustments. However (and I know... why buy a sports car and drive 5mph) I can't afford HD with my dish right now and I'm to far into the sticks to pick it up with an antenna. Can I use an upconverter DVD player and run my S-Video out into the DVD then component or HDMI into my TV and improve the picture quality/lessen the "noise"?

How can I optimize my SD viewing abilities on that TV?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't think you can find a DVD player with auxillary inputs to upconvert SD to HD.

What you can find is a AV receiver that would accept SD over s-video and scale it to HD or an external scaler, for example Atlona has a scaler for $279.

Why can't you buy a used Dish 811 on eBay?

·
Registered
158 Posts
What fooit said... and I believe the Onkyo 605 will do the upconversion. It is not advertised on the 605 spec sheets but I believe folks on the Onkyo forum mentioned that it does in fact do this. Check that forum to make sure though.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_nastyHAF /forum/post/12944638

I'm a moderator on a car forum so to keep things simple I've been searching for an answer for a few hours now and still can't seem to find what I need. I think part of it is just because I'm not certain what terminology to use so hopefully this makes sense, any help is appreciated.

I just bought the Samsung HP-T5054 and I've written down all the calibration settings that were suggested so I'll make those adjustments. However (and I know... why buy a sports car and drive 5mph) I can't afford HD with my dish right now and I'm to far into the sticks to pick it up with an antenna. Can I use an upconverter DVD player and run my S-Video out into the DVD then component or HDMI into my TV and improve the picture quality/lessen the "noise"?

How can I optimize my SD viewing abilities on that TV?

Ok, here are a couple of things to remember. I think I understand what you are trying to do it to get SD to be HD. Well you can get close but SD will never be HD because SD will be 480i or 480p and HD starts with material at 720p and includes 1080i and 1080p(from blu-ray or HD-DVD). Kind of like a carburetor vs. fuel injection. They accomplish the same thing but fuel injection has an edge in performance.

A upconverting DVD player will upconvert your SD DVD's to an HD resolution but it still is not HD due to the original content is 480i. It looks very close to HD but HD just has that extra umph! in video quality. IMO anyway.

To get SD dish upconverted the other two posters are correct you will need some type of external scaler to upconvert the 480i to an HD resolution. There are several different A/V components that will do this to varying degrees. Options from several hundred dollars to several thousand.

However if your tv has a decent enough internal scaler you may not notice a lot of difference or enough to justify the extra expense in buying an external scaler anyway.

I also have a HD TV with out OTA or Dish HD but I do have a HD-DVD player and am very pleased with the HD picture.

Good Luck.

dazed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you all have basically answered what I want to do. I think the Samsung HP-T5054 is pretty good but it's not nearly as clear as my 32" CRT (for obvious reasons) So I simply want to improve the SD signal a bit. I know I can't reach true HD quality but I figure if I can use an external source to boost the signal a little and allow my TV's internal processor to help as well I can vastly reduce the amount of noise that I am seeing.

Ironically enough I just realized that I have 2 Dish 811 recievers. When I signed up for dish they said I had to use theirs so I wonder if I can just call them and de-activate my base reciever and upgrade to the 811.... If I upgrade to the 811 will that give me a better output?

·
Registered
208 Posts
It would allow you to get the HD channels with HD programing, however I don't think it would improve your SD channels much. Someone else here who has the 811 might want to chime in and let you know about that.

dazed

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dish 811 can output 720p or 1080i over DVI or component - you will get better picture than over s-video, how much better - only your eyes will tell, I think a lot!

You don't have to sign for HD channels to use 811 but you will get dish demo hd channel - pretty cool to show off your panel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, then just to clarify for myself and anyone who may have this question in the future.

Upgrading to a Dish 811 reciever will give me gains simply because I can use component cables vs. the s-video and component carries a better signal than s-video. However, the 811 reciever itself will not change, convert or "upgrade" the signal at all correct?

Will the Onkyo or one of those improve the signal through upconverting it at all?

Basically the only way to improve an SD signal or picture is through the use of different cables and by virtue of the abilities of the TV itself. There is nothing. So is there anything on the market that will upconvert the signal (similar to what a dvd player does to a standard dvd) better than the processor of the TV alone can do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I'm still researching and just for people who care there is something called the iScan vp20 (or vp30, vp40, vp50) that will actually process the incoming signal and upscale it (which is what I want) but they seem to start at about $1000.00 so not really an option for me... However, I'm seeing mention that some DVD recorders will upscale the image to a 720p if you run through it.... still researching that to be certain.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_nastyHAF /forum/post/12951729

So I'm still researching and just for people who care there is something called the iScan vp20 (or vp30, vp40, vp50) that will actually process the incoming signal and upscale it (which is what I want) but they seem to start at about $1000.00 so not really an option for me... However, I'm seeing mention that some DVD recorders will upscale the image to a 720p if you run through it.... still researching that to be certain.

One of the stand alone scalers such as the DVDO line of processors or Lumagen (sp?) will do the best at converting the SD (480i) to one of the HD resolutions of 720p 1080i or 1080p. They are expensive so a cheaper alternative is finding a A/V receiver that will upconvert a SD signal but they typically don't do as good of a job at it as a stand alone will. Always remember the adage garbage in, garbage out. I'm not sure there is a DVD recorder or player that does upconvert SD signals other than the DVD. If there is depending on the price of the unit your tv may do a better job handling the signal vs. the SD through the DVD player.

dazed

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dish 811 can output 720p or 1080i over DVI or component - you will get better picture than over s-video, how much better - only your eyes will tell, I think a lot!

You don't have to sign for HD channels to use 811 but you will get dish demo hd channel - pretty cool to show off your panel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
doesn't an upconverter on a A/V receiver only upgrade the signal to run through HDMI digitally... i don't believe it actually upconverts like a upconverting dvd would upscale a DVD.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS90 /forum/post/12952323

doesn't an upconverter on a A/V receiver only upgrade the signal to run through HDMI digitally... i don't believe it actually upconverts like a upconverting dvd would upscale a DVD.

Some will only upconvert say from analog 480i to digital so that the signal will pass through HDMI. Others will upconvert and scale to 720p, 1080i, and even 1080p. It just depends on the unit you get. The DVDO products upconvert and scale over HDMI.

dazed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:They are expensive so a cheaper alternative is finding a A/V receiver that will upconvert a SD signal but they typically don't do as good of a job at it as a stand alone will.

So will an 811 reciever upconvert and scale or is it only the DVDO products that do that? How can I improve my SD PQ for under $300.00?

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_nastyHAF /forum/post/12952804

Quote:They are expensive so a cheaper alternative is finding a A/V receiver that will upconvert a SD signal but they typically don't do as good of a job at it as a stand alone will.

So will an 811 reciever upconvert and scale or is it only the DVDO products that do that? How can I improve my SD PQ for under $300.00?

You could check DVDO's website http://www.anchorbaytech.com/products/systems/

or eBay you just may get lucky and find one around 300. My guess is that you will need to spend considerably more than 300 to get the results you want. I used to get hung up on the SD vs. HD dilemma but so far SD on my Hitachi SD is surprisingly watchable. Right now I'm debating on whether to spend money on an OTA setup or just call Dish and get their HD programming.

dazed

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_nastyHAF /forum/post/12952804

811 will upconvert and scale.

·
Banned
469 Posts
If you can't afford to get HD satellite service then you're sure as hell not going to be able to afford the equipment necessary to scale SD the way you want. And even then scaled SD will still look dreadful compared to HD. If you wanted to watch a garbage signal then you shouldn't have spent money on an HDTV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts