AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm no expert, but their can't be and isn't more detail, and in most cases an upconverted picture is worse than the regular picture via an S-video connection. Many use the 1080i out for HD only and watch regular TV via the S-Video. Upconverted is watchable, just isn't great looking.

------------------

-h pierce

Surely you can't be serious... I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I disagree with the assessment that upscaled pictures look worse when using a high quality scaler. Part of the reason upscaled pictures look better has to do with the scan lines. 480p scan lines are visible on my RPTV from 8 feet, once you know what to look for. Instead of upscaling to 480p, I usually watch 480i upscaled to 960i or 1080i for 16:9 or 1200i for 4:3. This creates a more smooth realistic appearance, making my eyes perceive faces especially as almost real.

Another reason upscaling looks better is, I speculate, because the upscaling interpolates, making the image less blocky, making it easier for your optic nerves to make sense of the image.

The bottom line is that I don't really know either, but I do know that DVD's upscaled to 1440x960i or 1800x1200i look much better than at 720x480p on my system.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking into buying the Toshiba DST-3000 (any comments appreciated) which upconverts a regular signal to 1080i HDTV. I'm new to HDTV but this upconverting doesn't make sense, how can it be anybetter quality than the original. i.e. if the video is shot in 1080i than I understand you'll get much, much more clarity, sharper picture and DETAIL. However if the feed is coming from a standard video shot for regular TV how can there be more detail?

thank you very much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.