AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a budget receiver to go along with my new 52" LCD. With this set (Samsung 5271), it seems you get both ends of the spectrum: The great quality HD channels looks absolutely breathtaking, but the standard def channels really look awful. Sorry for the newb question, but the receiver I'm looking at (Yamaha 661) has 1080p upconvert via HDMI. Does this mean that it will take standard definition channels and upconvert to make them look better, or will it only upconvert standard DVDs? If it does SD channels as well, that would seem to fix my only real gripe with the TV.

As an aside, any opinions on the Yamaha 661 for a sub-$600 receiver? Any opinions on a better receiver for the money. I'll probably be powering something like the Mirage Nanosats, Klipsch Quintets or one of B&Ws satellite systems.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
well, i am no expert, but i do know that the old "garbage in, garbage out" will apply. in other words, the poor quality SD channels is coming from your cable / satellite provider. no upconverter is going to change that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same situation with a new Samsung DLP; Great HD but standard def. from a Time Warner HD Box sort of blows. After poking around on the web, I found the Yamaha RX-V861 (at $1000). A review I read claims that one can connect everything to the Yamaha with one HDMI cable to the HD set and all is upconverted. IF this is true, then surely there should be (or will be) cheaper options. However, I have not found any commentary anywhere about how standard def. looks with this thing. Anybody out there have an opinion/news on this?

I'm new to all of this, so if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, you're probably right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts