AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been back and forth on what to do with my very outdated Crestron system that was in the home when I bought it 10 years ago. I primarily use it for audio (FM radio) but just recently incorporated a Sonos Port to provide music streaming using the iDoc source. I'm wondering if my system can be upated to Creston Home OS3 or should I start from scratch with a different whole home audio distribution system that I can control audio and maybe some lighting with an app or newer touch panels?

Main current components:
PRO2 Control processor
CNX-PAD8A (2) Distribution processors
CNAMPX-16X60 (2) Amplifiers
7 Touch panels
5 keypads

Can my existing programming be extracted or downloaded from the PRO2 if I wanted to change Crestron programmer?

I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m a Control4 programmer, not a Crestron guy, but from what I understand, in the Crestron world the programming is proprietary to the person doing it. That’s one of the compelling features of Control4... the customer owns the programming and can switch dealers at any time.

How many zones of audio? Control4 really shines with “whole home automation” - bringing in much more than A/V and lighting. It does those really well, but it’s a whole new level when the garage door opening turns on the lights and music in the kitchen.

Shoot me a PM if you’d like to discuss specifics for your house. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
You should also decide if you want to do any of the installation / programming yourself. If so, stay away from Crestron and very likely Control4 and Savant as well. Requires a dealer to at least add new devices to the system. There are several highly capable systems that do more than Control4 that support DIY.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've been back and forth on what to do with my very outdated Crestron system that was in the home when I bought it 10 years ago. I primarily use it for audio (FM radio) but just recently incorporated a Sonos Port to provide music streaming using the iDoc source. I'm wondering if my system can be upated to Creston Home OS3.
Not only can it be upgraded, with the components you listed below personally I'd consider it a no brainer. The CNX-PAD8A are fully supported and the CNAMPX-16X60 are fantastic ampliers.

or should I start from scratch with a different whole home audio distribution system that I can control audio and maybe some lighting with an app or newer touch panels?
Any touchscreens of this vinatage you're going to want to replace or no longer use. With CH3 you'll also have full control via phone app or iPad.

Main current components:
PRO2 Control processor - You'll want to replace this with the MC4R or CP4R
CNX-PAD8A (2) Distribution processors - These are awesome, keep them.
CNAMPX-16X60 (2) Amplifiers - These are awesome, keep them.
7 Touch panels - Replace or abandon
5 keypads - You'll probably want to keep these too, but I'd need to know the model numbers to say for sure. Or you could snap a photo of them and I could tell from that.

Can my existing programming be extracted or downloaded from the PRO2 if I wanted to change Crestron programmer?
No, you wil need to ask for the code, which he/she should be willing to provide. But you won't use any of the code with if you upgrade to CH3 anyhow.

Also, that Sono's port will integrate with the CH system. You'll just connect it as a source to the PAD8's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should also decide if you want to do any of the installation / programming yourself. If so, stay away from Crestron and very likely Control4 and Savant as well. Requires a dealer to at least add new devices to the system. There are several highly capable systems that do more than Control4 that support DIY.
I'm not technical at all. I'm looking for simplicity and iPhone/iPad functionality. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not only can it be upgraded, with the components you listed below personally I'd consider it a no brainer. The CNX-PAD8A are fully supported and the CNAMPX-16X60 are fantastic ampliers.

Any touchscreens of this vinatage you're going to want to replace or no longer use. With CH3 you'll also have full control via phone app or iPad.

Main current components:
PRO2 Control processor - You'll want to replace this with the MC4R or CP4R
CNX-PAD8A (2) Distribution processors - These are awesome, keep them.
CNAMPX-16X60 (2) Amplifiers - These are awesome, keep them.
7 Touch panels - Replace or abandon
5 keypads - You'll probably want to keep these too, but I'd need to know the model numbers to say for sure. Or you could snap a photo of them and I could tell from that.

No, you wil need to ask for the code, which he/she should be willing to provide. But you won't use any of the code with if you upgrade to CH3 anyhow.

Also, that Sono's port will integrate with the CH system. You'll just connect it as a source to the PAD8's.
Looks like I'm not doing too bad with the my current components to get me where I'd like to be. I'll most likely ditch most of the touch panels and rely on iPhone and iPads to control the system. Now I just need to locate a good Crestron guy.

Much appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts