AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd layer of drywall is up. See the pictures below.

Mine is a 15 x 18 x 7 theater in an older home. I began in March. The basement was previously finished with pine paneling and drywall ceiling, so I had a complete gutting to get started. I have done this project 95% by myself in my spare time. There have been 2 or three occassions where I've had a buddy over to help lift a tricky sheet of the 5/8", but otherwise everything from the framing to electrical to drywall is me!!!

It will be a front projection (CRT) theater with 2 rows of seating. I'm framing the stage and the riser this weekend. The the curve of the statge will match the curve of the soffit.

Picture 1 shows the back right (if you were facing the screen) corner of the theater. The gap in the left will be the equipment cabinet which backs up to the bar/lobby. I have a carpenter coming this weekend to start on it (I've decided my carpentry skills and tool collection are not enough for this part). The hole on the back wall is for 1 of 4 sconces. I also have holes cut for 2 rear channels (7.1), but haven't cut out from the 2nd layer of drywall yet.

Picture 2 is a picture of the back left corner. You see the fireplace on the right. I busted out the brick floor in front of it to fill in with concrete. I am dampering off the fireplace and cleaning it up to be for show only. I'll line it with TS and carpet all the way up to it.

Picture 3 is a shot of my proscenium. It covers one of the structural I-Beams supporting my home. It also houses 2 4" cans for spotting the screen. On either side is a small "column" type feature. I've not drywalled the left column because it houses the electrical and I've not made the final connections yet (waiting on a good deal on a GE or Xmas present). Behind the left column will be a small cabinet to store software. The theater entrance is to the left of the proscenium. I used a 2 layers of thin hardboard soaked in water to make the curve. I'm picking up a sheet of flexible drywall this weekend to cap it off.

Picture 4 is a better shot of the left side of the front looking back toward the stair landing and the laundry room. The un-drywalled portion is not actually in the theater (once the door is up). I've left it framed in so I can still bring large items down the stairs and make the turn.

Picture 5 is a shot of the right side of the proscenium.

That's it for now. Since the big drywall mess is now done, I should move a little faster. I'll have more to post in 3 or 4 weeks, but that's it for now.

Question I hate most from friends and famil- is that all you have done??

Patrick

·
Registered
326 Posts
hey you at the turning point keep plugging along...looks great!

KEEP US POSTED

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You are doing great - keep it up!

Pam

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cruising along ... keep up the hard work, the fruits will be well worth it!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Patrick,

Be sure to invite me over when your done! My CyberDyne Cinema is nearing completion, as well. Looks like you are in close proximity to me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some updated construction pics of the rear seating riser I built today. It is 2x6's 12" O.C. covered with 3/4" plywood and 1/2" plywood, bothe glued and screwed. The whole stage sits on 3 layers of Pergo "quiet floor". In the first picture, you can see where my floor was uneven, I used some synthetic carpet pad on top of the quiet-floor.

I did not use roofing felt between layers, as I thought it would defeat the purpose of the glue??? I was also considering adding a 3rd layer of 3/4", but it doesn't seem necessary. As it is, this stage is the sturdiest feeling wood floor in my whole house!

I bought the materials and built this in about 5 hours today. That's a far cry from the months it took me to drywall. Yippee!

Framing

R-30 Insulation crammed in

Decking on! Note the 1.5" lip left for rope lighting.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mrpeon,

My room is 1/2" drywall on top of 5/8" drywall. Framing on exterior walls is 2x4 . Framing on interior walls is 2x6 staggered stud construction. Since my mechanical room adjoins the theater, I will probably put 2 layers on each side here.

I attached the drywall directly to the ceiling above (2 layers).

I used basic fiberglass insulation in all cavities and crammed it is best I could.

So far, everyone who steps in the room notices how solid it feels. Even if you just clap your hands, you really get a feel for how rigid the walls are. I'm excited to get the insulshield and batting in, so I can get an idea of what the room will really sound like.

I'm thankful for all the advice on this board. Although I still wish I would have hired Dennis, I have muddled my way through the basics. ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.