AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here ya' go. I finally got the pictures of our cinema with a digital camera for all to see. I hope it meets up to some of your expectations.

This cinema represents a long and tedious journey for me and my family...and yet, we have not reached the summit. There are areas of the cinema to be completed...mainly a Dry Bar Area with enclosed refrigerator. I have also intentionally not provided close ups of the electronics as these will be replaced this month with Rotel separates and SVS subwoofer.

Our cinema is definitely a "theme" driven environment....exciting to some, and perhaps puzzling to others. As you may know, CYBERDYNE SYSTEMS comes from the Terminator I, II and III Sci-Fi movies. A facility in which experiments and creations of technology leads eventually to an artificial intelligence. This intelligent creation continues from where man left off, and thus continues to create upon itself....it's sole intention to destroy Mankind.

Most of what you see in the gallery is handcrafted by myself, these include Illuminated Poster Display Cases, Acoustical Diffusers, Signs and Plaques, and many, many more goodies. You will also notice the unusal use of Aluminum Diamond Tread Plating as wainscoting, a first I am sure for dedicated home theater use.

The folks here at AVS were a driving force behind my creativity, and continue to inspire me daily. Thank you.

Enough babbling!

Click here > http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2597&members=1

NOTE: Allow plenty of time for loading of the gallery site, then CRANK UP those PC speakers for some theme music!

ALSO NOTE: If you choose to view the "SLIDESHOW"..you will only view 20 of the 56 images.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey Darren -- Exceptional theater! As someone who also built his own, I empathize with you about the amount of mental and physical labor that goes into them - congratulations on nearing completion it looks fantastic! Just realize that its never really done -- guaranteed that you'll have brainstorms to make it even better.....

·
Registered
16,351 Posts
Wow wow wow!!

That's one of the most creative theaters I've seen in a long time! I'm jealous!

Where did you get the DTS and DTS-ES plaques? Me wants! :D

Oops! Spent too much time staring at the pictures and not enough time reading! How did you make them?

Dan

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman
Wow wow wow!!

That's one of the most creative theaters I've seen in a long time! I'm jealous!

Where did you get the DTS and DTS-ES plaques? Me wants! :D

Oops! Spent too much time staring at the pictures and not enough time reading! How did you make them?

Dan
Dan,

I had a local sign maker produce the DTS:ES and THX ULTRA logos on his computer. He did this from scratch as I sat with him...he made it look so easy. I then had them professionally apply them to the Plexiglas...which they also beveled and waxed the edges...was a nice touch I had not expected.

Once I got the Plexi signs home I made plaques from 3/4" MDF cutting a 45 degree edge all the way around. These were then primed in white...followed with a Texturizer Spray (found at HD and Lowe's paint section)...this gives the illusion of textured metal. Follow up that process with high quality Aluminum Metal Enamel spray paint...allow to dry.

The Plexiglas is then drilled with several holes to allow for mounting to the MDF. I found small rubber washers with metal spacers to use between the MDF and Plexiglas. This gives the floating effect of the Plexiglas, which is about mounted at about 1/4" above the plaque. This also allows for a 3D look to the signs. To add a final touch, I spray painted numerous Wood Dowel Plugs to resemble Metal Rivet/Bolt Heads to highlight the frames. It was a fun project with great results. Of course, this could be modified...say in textured Black paint to match most neutral decors.

Thanks for the comments!!!:p

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have moved a few pics into the AVS Forum Gallery under Theater Construction. These are selcted shots from my main Cyberdyne Cinema Gallery.

Thanks, and have a great day!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Darren, Excellent site! I know you're proud!!

Pam

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah, Baby! Yeah!!

Amazing, Darren. The new photos give a much better view.

Question: Did you eat and sleep when working on this theater? It looks like thousands of man hours of work. I can't imagine what the rest of your house looks like.

That other link to the basement spaceship - awesome! This is why I need a 4000 square foot basement!

I will review pics further later when there's no fear of people walking into my office!!!

P.S. I just got an extremely nice digital camera as a birthday present, 4 megapixel Canon G2, so I should have some real quality photos up on my site in the next couple of weeks. Then again, it still won't look like Cyberdyne!

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Darren:

Your theater needs to be profiled in one of the major HT mags. One of the best I've ever seen....

Have you thought about hosting a KC HT meet? I think there are a fair number of HT members between AVS and HTF that would love a personal tour and background story about your theater. I'd be happy to help organize it, if you are interested. PM me and I'll send you my contact info.

Ron Boster

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question: Did you eat and sleep when working on this theater? It looks like thousands of man hours of work. I can't imagine what the rest of your house looks like.

"Are you kidding....I did both..but IN the theater! I kept the fridge stocked with Cherry Cokes and Code Red Mountain Dew...I also have a microwave at the drybar...great for that quick energy burst from some Pizza Rolls at 3:00 in the morning....the Berklines make great beds when fully reclined...just a add pillow and blanket! The rest of our house is not quite so overboard...but my wife allows me creative flow. I actually made design modifications when meeting with my contractor to discuss the original blueprints. Our home would be considered a California Style Front to Back Split with a Modern Contemporary decor."

P.S. I just got an extremely nice digital camera as a birthday present, 4 megapixel Canon G2, so I should have some real quality photos up on my site in the next couple of weeks. Then again, it still won't look like Cyberdyne! [/b][/quote]

"You lucky dawg! I was "looking" at digital cameras just yesterday...man....them babies are fine!!! Especially the one you got! This little piece of junk the wife brought home sells new at about $95....BAHH HAA!.....but I can't really complain...the little toy has taught me a lot of things about digital photo taking and composition."

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rboster
Darren:

Your theater needs to be profiled in one of the major HT mags. One of the best I've ever seen....

Have you thought about hosting a KC HT meet? I think there are a fair number of HT members between AVS and HTF that would love a personal tour and background story about your theater. I'd be happy to help organize it, if you are interested. PM me and I'll send you my contact info.

Ron Boster

Ron,

Thank so much for the comments. I did post a topic about a KC area HT meeting..but got no responses...I assumed not much interest in sharing ideas and conversations. I would be open to a "Cyberdyne Cinema Open House" event, once we have all the loose ends tied up....probably late May or early June. I not much at organizing such events....but my wife and I are great hosts...and usually entertain to large gatherings each summer since one of my other hobbies is BBQ and Smoking meats....a good ol' Kansas City tradition! So I would gladly accept any help in this area.

Thank you,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Absolutely wonderful implementation of a grand vision!

I bet you show off the 60" TV to unsuspecting new viewers first, THEN drop down the real screen :) .

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Somniplex
Absolutely wonderful implementation of a grand vision!

I bet you show off the 60" TV to unsuspecting new viewers first, THEN drop down the real screen :) .
You bet! That's half the fun:D The other half of the fun is watching the guys try and convince their wives that they need a HT too!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Darren,

Very nice theater. Since it's inspiration was the terminator, there is an auction on ebay you should check out. I'd link to it, but work blocks e-bay. But if you search for "terminator movie prop," you'll find it. I think this wold look great in your theater. I was thinking about buying one and then sticking it on a dummy for my ticket usher. Of course my theater construction is just under way, but I keep thinking up things to finish it with ;)

Later,

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lawdawg
Darren,

Very nice theater. Since it's inspiration was the terminator, there is an auction on ebay you should check out. I'd link to it, but work blocks e-bay. But if you search for "terminator movie prop," you'll find it. I think this wold look great in your theater. I was thinking about buying one and then sticking it on a dummy for my ticket usher. Of course my theater construction is just under way, but I keep thinking up things to finish it with ;)

Later,

The Life Masks are very ccol indeed. Prior to the Cyberdyne idea..I had planned on a Universal Famous Monsters theme...using Life Mask castings of the famous monster's actors like Bela Lagosi, Lon Chaney, etc.

I wonder how I could do a hair piece to give realism to the Arnold Life Mask? That and a set of Gargoyle sunglasses would look pretty awesome!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.