AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that Dwin has just posted updated info and pictures about their TV2 product on their web site. Go to www.dwin.com and click on new products.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of new info on the updated PDF file. The only new thing I saw was that they claimed a contrast ratio of 1000:1. For some reason, I was under the impression that the contrast ratio would be different depending on the bulb choice -- but they have posted a single contrast ratio.

Also, I am a little confused by "projection offset from center to 50% of picture height". Does this mean that an end-user should be able to ceiling mount the projector and only needs to ensure that the lens is at level with the top of the screen. Right?

The "picture height" as opposed to "screen height" confused me. If I am viewing 2.35:1 picture on a 16:9 screen, this would imply leveling the lens with the top of the 2:35:1 picture image (which is below the top of the screen because of the black bars along the top/bottom of the screen). Is this different on other projectors like the Marantz or the Seleco?

Thx.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems I am talking to myself here, but...

I am assuming that 1000:1 is on/off contrast ratio, right? If true, this is lower than Sharp and Marantz and also lower than what a number of people had claimed Dwin was going to have (1300:1 -> 1400:1 based on their conversations with folks at Dwin).

If you know someone at Dwin, it would be great if you can find out whether this contrast ratio is the same for both bulb choices.

Thx.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amrud
It seems I am talking to myself here, but...

I am assuming that 1000:1 is on/off contrast ratio, right
You're not talking to yourself, it's just that I have nothing to contribute :). I am, however, anxiously awaiting the TV2's release and subsequent reviews since it's the projector I've chosen for my theater. 1000:1 does seem low and is certainly lower than previously hoped. I hope this is for the lower wattage bulb, but I doubt a company would list the worst of two specs given a choice...

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I would not worry about the rated contrast ratio in Dwins case it could be a true rating verses the false claims by the other manufactures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Years ago a revolutionary three-wheeled automobile, the "Dale" (named after its creator - a rather large, not particularly attractive, woman) was set to come onto the market. Although its scheduled emergence was repeatedly delayed, it was displayed with considerable fanfare at auto shows, and its appearance prompted excited customers to push others aside so that they could be the first to plunk down their deposit for "the car of the future."

Turns out that Dale 'herself' had more under the hood than did her car. She, in fact, was a man - and the Dale automobile which had been shown around the world had neither an engine nor any plan for adding one.

Has anyone looked under the 'hood' of Transvision 2??? Just kidding, of course, but it HAS been quite a wait!!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
99trader, far off the subject, just brought back memories of Dale. He/she flew me down to LA, provide limo at LAX, paid hotel (expensive one) and next day meeting with him/her at a bank building downtown LA where the prototype was displayed, very nice and impressive. Long story short, I passed. Two months later he/she filed suit to recover costs, got thrown out of court, I can still hear Judge laughing. I hope not but I'm probably the only dealer who came out ahead

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you have read Greg Rogers (Widescreen Review's technical editor) posts in SteveB's famous AVS Guest Forum, he actually has a review of a projector (un-named) coming soon which exceeds its spec sheet rating !!! Yet as he said a lot of them barely get close. Spec sheets really do mean very little and the proof is shown on the screen not in al the Hype that happens both on and off the net.

Its well know that a spec sheet is a mine is bigger than yours novel !!

DavidW

·
Banned
496 Posts
The center position for the Dwin's offset is (for ceiling mount) the top of the 16:9 picture. So the projector can be mounted anywhere from centered on the screen to 50% of the picture height above the top of the screen. This is much more useful for typical home use than the Seleco which uses the screen center as the "neutral" point.

BTW, the new PDF does have one very dramatic new bit of info- a picture of the unit!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alan says that the Dwin contrast could be true but the contrast claims by other manufacturers may be false. Was this true for the current Dwin Transvision projector when compared to other similar 4:3 DLP projectors like the Yamaha DPX1?

Unfortunately, most consumers are not going to be able to see Dwin, Marantz, Sharp, Seleco, etc side by side. In fact, many won't be able to see any projector at a dealer. Given that, many of us are going to have to purchase a projector based on specs and user reviews. I hope FlatusM plans to do another projector shoot-out :) that includes the Dwin.

Thx.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
To raise contrast ratio you need to do one of 2 things. Lower the black level or raise the peak white level.

All manufactures have maximize the black level in current chip technology

and are on par with each other so all that's left is to raise the peak whites. Dwin offers the brightest bulb yet to be used in a 1 chip dlp.

This should translate to a higher contrast rating.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
A brighter bulb may very well result in a corresponding increase in black levels so that there is no net increase in contrast ratio.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm also one of the frustrated waiting for the new Dwin. I broke down today and called Jeff at dwin to get it straight from the horses mouth, and he told me that they plan on test shipping again next week, and if all goes well, go into full production the following week. In short, July sometime.

The big question is what happens if things don't go well with the test shipments.....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Has anyone heard anything directly from Dwin this week? This was the week they were going to do another test production run and shipment.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
My Dwin rep. paid me a visit today! He said Dwin (Jeff) said that my demo unit would ship next week. He said Dwin was waiting for some chips to arrive and that Dwin thought it would have those chips today. Exactly what chips I haven't a lclue. One could assume the projectors are ready, insert chips on a board, plug in board etc. Who knows?

Remember 3 months ago some pretty lady at Dwin said July? Jeff said May! I should have known better. Always take the spread offered by a pretty lady.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.