AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Which retailers (B&M or online) will be carrying the 'LG' brand?

Will a 'Zenith' branded version be available?

The October 6, 2003 shipping date for the LSS-3200A sounds early. Will it really be available before the Sony-branded SAT-HD300 version hits the streets?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wilde1
The October 6, 2003 shipping date for the LSS-3200A sounds early. Will it really be available before the Sony-branded SAT-HD300 version hits the streets?
I also would like to know the answer to this question. I might be williing to give up the RF remote if the LSS-3200A is here first and for less money than the Sony.

Gary

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the update JFerg. I would like the reiterate Wilde1's question about retailers. If they will only be available with the LG name, where does one buy these machines?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JFerg
Give up RF Remote? The LSS-3200A will also feature an RF Remote.
Great! Is it an IR "or" RF like Sony or is it IR "and" RF all the time? My old Sony has both on all the time. Great for my universal IR remote and still works from another room and another TV.

Thanks for all your posts on these models. I appreciate the information.

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I was under the impression that "Ken Cranes" will be carrying the LST-3410A along with "Circuit City".

Dave

·
Registered
379 Posts
Getting the LSS-3200A anytime in October would be great!! (would even make a good Halloween present) I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this unit for D* reception. I had the Samsung 160 and had to return it because it locked up every 2 minutes.

Can't wait to get one and test it out! It's killing me to miss all of the HD football games that have been on lately.

Thanks for the update!!

Jason

·
Registered
384 Posts
jferg,

thanks for the update---it looks like maybe the 3200A is about a week behind the hd300---

but a few questions for you.

1. it looks like there is NO difference (ex the name) between the 3200A and the HD300. they both include RF or IR remotes, DVI cable, msrp the same, Does this mean the guts are the identical too?

2. When there is a software upgrade, do you expect it to be applied to both boxes at the same time? IF not, who first??

3. Can you tell us who the new big box store is? CC, BB, Ultimate, GG, Tweeters???

4. I assume they both include a VHF/UHF antenna in AND a seperate Cable input. Can the Cable input be used as a seperate VHF or UHF input? I have 2 antenna input requirements--a vhf and a uhf--it would be nice not to use a combiner.

thanks,

ron

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
4. I assume they both include a VHF/UHF antenna in AND a seperate Cable input. Can the Cable input be used as a seperate VHF or UHF input? I have 2 antenna input requirements--a vhf and a uhf--it would be nice not to use a combiner.
Why would there be a separate input for cable? The HD300 and 3200A won't support HDTV via cable (256QAM).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
Why would there be a separate input for cable? The HD300 and 3200A won't support HDTV via cable (256QAM).
Because they DO support NTSC Cable.

·
Registered
414 Posts
JFerg;

Three models? LSS3200A and HD300. What else? Is it true that the next gen Hughes is a rebadged LSS3200A?

Did yous ee the crash report from sweeney on his first evening of owning the HD300? here's the link. Not a good start out of the gate.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=308340

Quote:
1) The differences between the actual units (HD200 vs 520) are the same in the new HD300 and 3200A.

2) If there ends up being an update, it will happen just as it did for the previous two models, just this time for three models. All together.

3) No I cannot.

4) The CATV input MAY "see" antenna signals, however it is not supported.

·
Registered
414 Posts
JFerg:

I'm appealing to you to reconsider your determiantion that this is not a bug. I haven't even received my HD300 yet, but from my experience with the DTV1080 and SAT520 my hunch is that Sweeney's issue will rear its ugly head again and again.

lab testing and real world testing are two different animals. One would have thought that LG would have properly tested the SAT520 after the DTV1080 debacle, especially the resetting and loss of custom channels. Both boxes had that same issue. So lets not get too complacent here please.

We all want to be happy LG/Sony STB owners. You are our link to the boys working on the firmware......

Originally posted by JFerg [/i]
Yes it is (somewhat), that is why I said three models. The new HNS does not have a RF remote.

I already commented on that other thread. don't begin to think there is a "bug". I have had these units running for SEVERAL weeks without problems.
[/quote]

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
My first allocation of 12 LSS3200A's, which I ordered a few months ago is scheduled to be shipped the second week of October, 2003. I was told I am getting the first shipment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HD_JUNKIE
lab testing and real world testing are two different animals.
As a software developer myself, I can tell you that is very true. End users exercise the software in ways that developers and testers would never have even considered, let alone be able to repeatably test. This is not to mention the varying external conditions (power, temperature, RF signals) that end users expose there equipment to. For all you know, it could have been some unusual bit stream that was being processed from the OTA or SAT signal that caused this condition.

Quote:
don't begin to think there is a "bug".
I don’t want this to sound like a very negative flame, but that is a very irresponsible statement. While one report of a problem like this does not mean there is an epidemic, any time a unit reboots with a loss of data in a consumer product, it should be considered a serious failure. You should be so lucky that it is simply a software bug rather than a major hardware problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by HD_JUNKIE
my hunch is that Sweeney's issue will rear its ugly head again and again.
Oh so true. Get ready for a rocky ride. I understand that this could be a problem confined to one single unit, but we only have reports from one user so far. If this keeps happening to other users, I suggest that the best thing someone affected by this can do is try to find out the series of steps that they took to cause the reboot. If you can repeat those steps and repeatedly cause a reboot, I suggest that you forward that to JFerg. He sounds like he has the power to get something done.

·
Registered
384 Posts
JFerg,

I had a problem with previous STB (Samsung 160 and Sony HD200) with a very dark pix when feeding the RGBhv from the STB to my front projector. I had what is called "Crushed Blacks".

It has now come to light---the input imedance of the projector may be 50ohms vs 75ohms. Could you tell me what output impedance the HD300/3200A is one the RGBhv output? maybe i need a distrubution amp for the RGB....

thanks,

ron

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
Quote:
These dates are when the units are currently scheduled to leave the LG warehouse, to sellers...

LST-3100A - 10 / 27 / 2003

LST-3510A - 10 / 06 / 2003

LST-3410A - 12 / 01 / 2003

LSS-3200A - 10 / 06 / 2003
I just got an update from Zenith and they are scheduled to ship my first release of 12 LSS-3200A's on Monday, 10/6/03.

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
I'm sure you know we have the HDR230's in stock. Our company specializes in DIRECTV so I have not spent much time analyzing dedicated OTA DVR's.

If you can tell me which model you think will see the best I would be happy to stock them and get into that business. I would trust jferg's estimated shipping dates on the new OTA DVR's.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.