AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to convert all of my dvds and blurays to a NAS and am looking for an updated list of how to do something like this. I have found several lists that are over a year old and since this is really kicking in lately I figured there were most likely better programs out there and processes.

What I have it boiled down to now is to use anydvd HD along with clownbd. That seems to be the best info I have read so far.

Since I am new to this it is very confusing. I will be using a Popcorn C200 and a Control4 media streamer.

I would like the option to either rip an .iso or just the movie on ones that I don't care to keep the extras.

I think this is the best forum to put this question but if I should list this elsewhere please let me know.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can those two programs do both .iso files and just movie files or do I need to throw in another program?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a safe site that is preferred to download ClownBD?

Last time I tried to download it I had issues with the attached programs if I remember right. I was trying to use my macbook booted with xp though so that may have been my issues.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked out the site and that is the same place I tried downloading it before about a month ago. For some reason it was saying that one of the attached programs that works with it was not working properly and I was unable to get it to work properly.

Is there a guide somewhere that lists some step by steps for this process?

·
Registered
483 Posts
What type of disc are you ripping? Bluray? Standard Definition Discs? Or a combination of both?

If you do not want to compress, and your streamer supports it, for Bluray use TSmuxeR to rip out the main movie to a M2TS file. Also as a previous poster stated, AnyDVD will convert a disc to an iso all by itself.

For SD discs, rip the main movie out with Handbrake to mkv. You can choose the compression (run Mediainfo on the disc to find the uncompressed bitrate), rip out the subtitles and select AC3 passthru if you so choose.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much everyone. I'll get some tests going and hope they work out for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a question about ripping Blu-rays.

I'd imagine that you can't do it with a regular DVD-burner as how would it read the Blu-ray disc. Do you need a blu-ray burner or would a regular blu-ray readable drive work? Any recommendations for an external blu-ray reader or blu-ray burner - depending on which is needed to rip Blu-rays?

·
Registered
988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongu /forum/post/18143315

I'd imagine that you can't do it with a regular DVD-burner as how would it read the Blu-ray disc. Do you need a blu-ray burner or would a regular blu-ray readable drive work? Any recommendations for an external blu-ray reader or blu-ray burner - depending on which is needed to rip Blu-rays?

It is the same as regular DVD burning. You need a blu-ray writer to write and just a reader to read. I have an LG blu-ray reader and it's fantastic, literally silent and I've never had a read error once.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongu /forum/post/18143315

I'd imagine that you can't do it with a regular DVD-burner as how would it (not?) read the Blu-ray disc. Do you need a blu-ray burner or would a regular blu-ray readable drive work? Any recommendations for an external blu-ray reader or blu-ray burner - depending on which is needed to rip Blu-rays?

All you would need to rip Bluray discs is an external BD-ROM. All you need to do is read a BD and let the software encode it to the codec/format of your choice. It is a time consuming operation. It takes upwards of 6 hours to rip a single movie on my quad core 2.4 Ghz machine. Going to be even slower thru a BD-ROM usb drive.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr /forum/post/18143728

All you would need to rip Bluray discs is an external BD-ROM. All you need to do is read a BD and let the software encode it to the codec/format of your choice. It is a time consuming operation. It takes upwards of 6 hours to rip a single movie on my quad core 2.4 Ghz machine. Going to be even slower thru a BD-ROM usb drive.

Wow, how long would it take on my 2005 Pentium 4 - 3.0 GHz?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr /forum/post/18143728

I rip blu-rays in about 20-25 mins. Why are you re-encoding them?

·
Registered
734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 /forum/post/18144085

I rip blu-rays in about 20-25 mins. Why are you re-encoding them?

Yes, this is a question that puzzles me. A $200 2T drive will hold 80 Blurays or about 300 DVDs, so why would you recompress ????

Also, why are people wrapping their files in a MKV container ?? - seems completely unecessary to me.

Nearly all media players will play the DVD menu file, so no need to convert here.

I do use CLOWN to put back together the odd-ball Blurays that have the program stream split up in many small chunks - and save to .ts or .mt2s (it doesn't matter).

Infact, you can also use Anydvd with a BR disk and stream the .mt2s directly to your player over the network - I have done this, useful to quickly play a new disc.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns /forum/post/18144295

Yes, this is a question that puzzles me. A $200 2T drive will hold 80 Blurays or about 300 DVDs, so why would you recompress ????

Also, why are people wrapping their files in a MKV container ?? - seems completely unecessary to me.

Nearly all media players will play the DVD menu file, so no need to convert here.

I do use CLOWN to put back together the odd-ball Blurays that have the program stream split up in many small chunks - and save to .ts or .mt2s (it doesn't matter).

Infact, you can also use Anydvd with a BR disk and stream the .mt2s directly to your player over the network - I have done this, useful to quickly play a new disc.

Several reason why people use mkvs:

1) Windows Media Foundation does not like VC-1 in m2ts, so to get proper playback in WMP12/WMC you need to hack around with the system. That same VC-1 thrown into an mkv will play back fine as long as you have Haali or MatroskaSplitter installed

2) Many people use FLAC for audio with their Blu Rays. This is not supported by m2ts but is with mkv.

3) Chapter support is still somewhat limited with m2ts, no problems with mkv

As far as encoding, different strokes for different folks. I don't reencode my Blu Rays, but others do.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongu /forum/post/18144046

Wow, how long would it take on my 2005 Pentium 4 - 3.0 GHz?

That person is obviously re-encoding not just ripping.

I can rip a blu ray in about 30 minutes on an old single core A64 3200+ PC. But if I want to use Clown to convert it to a .TS file and convert the audio to a simple AC3 track, it can take upwards of 1 ½ hours or a little more. Fully re-encoding the video would take far longer.

As for the comment that a USB drive will take longer, that is incorrect. The spec for 1x blu ray speed is 36Mbps, a 4x blu ray drive is still only about a quarter of what USB theoretically can do. So even if you get yourself an 8x external drive, USB will be able to handle it, even with overhead.

-Suntan

·
Registered
483 Posts
I re-encode my BD rips because I want subtitles. Much easier to get subtitles with MKV than M2TS or ISO. I don't know, personally, of any players that support PGS subs. I am sure there are, but they are probably out of my price range. Also, storage space is an issue for me. With my employment situation and the economy, I don't have an extra $150-$200 to spend on HDD's.

In my opinion, MKV is about the most versatile container available today. I have no need for ISO or M2TS files because I am never going to burn back to DVD. I already own all the videos I rip (I get all of mine from Pawn Shops, $4 for SD, $6 for BD). I also don't have a HT setup, so I need to convert the audio to a format I can use. I am probably like a majority of folks that use a media player. I don't have an A/V receiver or surround sound. What I have is an old Kenwood receiver, good 20 year old speakers and a 52" Mitsubishi DLP. All good enough for a 60 year old.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.