AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! I just updated my website (see link below) showing my rope light installation! If interested come on by for a visit.:)

E

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind words Frank! I'm putting all the "love" I can muster into it. I just cut and applied the support pieces for the crown onto the base, as well as cut the crown molding today...it goes up tomorrow! Then I just lay the rope light in there and I'm done! :D Well at least with that, then it's off to build my equipment rack! :) I've taken pic's to docuement everything and will get them on my website as soon as I'm done.

E

·
Registered
387 Posts
As Bob Saget (sp?) once said on Funniest Home Videos:

"Put down the camera and save the child" :)

Seriously though, how did you attach the channel to the carpeted section? Nails? Also, did you wire in any controls for the rope light?

BTW, I really like the black run around the red carpet. Very cool.

Adam

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks PCdoctor! The rope light channel, as with rope light, was bought at Home Depot. I can't remember how much the channel costs but it's not expensive, fex bucks at the most. I'd have to dig up my receipt to get an exact costs for ya.

Adam...LOL...yea I just imagined his hair standing on end. But he doesn't have teach yet so it's safe!:D The channel has a sticky backing that is VERY strong. I thought I'd have to nail or screw then down (afraid they would not adhere to carpet), but they stuck VERY well. So I just pealed, stuck, and then pushed rope light in place! Rope lighting is all controled via a dimmer switch, same with wall sconces...every thing can be handled via my remote. :cool:

Thanks on the black around the carpet edge...it gives that "extra" touch and will go very nicely with my theater curtains and chairs!

E

·
Registered
881 Posts
efarstad,

Dude... Killer job! That looks really nice. You're about 2-3 steps ahead of me so I'm keeping a close eye to see what works and any issues you had to sidestep so keep rockin'. Waiting anxiously for the equipment rack and crown molding feedback as these are looming on my horizon.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by efarstad
The channel has a sticky backing that is VERY strong. I thought I'd have to nail or screw then down (afraid they would not adhere to carpet), but they stuck VERY well. So I just pealed, stuck, and then pushed rope light in place!

E
WARNING! I did the same thing when I originally installed my rope lighting. However, over time the heat from the rope lights loosened the adhesive and the lights came down. So, you might want to consider adding some screws or nails to avoid a future problem!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ed! Crown is up and rope light behind crown as well....I'll update my site as soon as I can!

Hmmm...thanks Steve, I'll watch them closely. What kind of carpet did you adhere your channel to? Mine is commerical grade (low pile).

E

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I adhered my channels to the back of some wood molding above my screen. Hopefully, you won't have the same problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing Steve...that is weird though. You think they'd "know" that the rope light would produce heat therefore using an adhesive that would not degrade with that heat huh? Perhaps they have improved things since you did yours?

Either case, I'll report back if I run into problems.

E

·
Registered
92 Posts
efarstad,

Home Depot also carries brackets to snap the rope light into. The brackets are located right next to the rope lights in the lighting section. I'm not sure about you, but I bought two 18 foot sections of rope light and each package came with some of these brackets.

Anyway, your installation looks great! I'm about halfway there ... just built the risers and stage over the long, Thanksgiving weekend and I'm getting antsy to be done.

Viking

·
Registered
125 Posts
Erik,

You seemed to have mastered what I had trouble doing.......Corners.....I used a miter saw and made a template but the corners still were a little off. But what the hey, Thats what they have white caulk for right?? :)

The crown molding gives a look of class. Great job.

Ron

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Viking, the rope light does come with those little brackets you mention but I figured the channel is much easier. Plus I didn't want to hassle with trying to get those little screws up under the riser, let alone through the bracket! Hello...too much work. So we'll see how the channel holds up.

Thanks for the kind words, I understand getting antsy...trust me. I can't wait for Friday's to roll around because I have them off (work 4/10's) and get to jam on the theater room goodies! :D Hang in there...the more you get done, the closer you are to the end!

Ron, Corners are not easy. The trick is to cut the crown upside down on the miter saw and then the other trick is making sure the "angle" is the same for each piece or you get the dreaded "loose fit." And I of course did not show you my one bad joint out of four! LOL...and yep that's what paintable white caulk is definately for!!!! Crown, trim, etc...all adds the extra touch of class but also adds to the time and dollars too! :mad:

It's all good though...and worth it in the end!

E

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Great job on the crown molding and other molding!

Since your supports for the crown molding are spaced apart (about 2 feet) did you consider putting in that plastic track (same one you used for riser to hold the rope lighting) to hold your rope light straight. I assume your rope lights rests on the crown molding supports dipping up and down as the rope lights goes over each crown molding support.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Frank! I just put the rope light up real quickly just to see how it looks...but that is a great idea! I may look into using channel in there as well! Great idea...:D Perfect reason why I share what I'm doing, so you can all share with me how to improve or do it better! I'll let you know what I discover or if it will work out using that channel. It may give a more "uniform" look instead of the "dipping" lights...we'll see! Thanks buddy....

E

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
***Update***

Frank, I check on putting channel in the crown to hold the rope light and for my application I don't think it will make a difference. But for others doing something similar it might. So thanks again for the great idea. :)

I also added some more detailed shots of the crown on my website since I wasn't too happy with what I had.

E

·
Registered
69 Posts
for your sconce and rope light dimmer, you say you control from your remote...do you also have dimmer controls on the wall?? Or can you control one or both only from the remote?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wes, I bought the following dimmer from Smarthome.com:

http://www.smarthome.com/images/2035ir_xyz1.gif

Here's a link to the page: Dimmer

You can program any remote button to turn on/off and dim the lights with this! Or just use the botton on the unit itself. So yes, remote and wall controlable (is that word?). LOL....

Kinda cool I thought. It's easy to install and simple to use...and I loved the "use any remote" feature!!! :D No special command modules or dedicated remote necessary.

E

·
Registered
69 Posts
wow, what a cool product, I'll have to get that!

thanks!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.