AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled across this little item. Looks as it could be a new 'can of worms'. Anyone know if their PBS affilate is provideing or going to provide this service? (courtesy of Wikipedia)
Quote:
UpdateTV

UpdateTV is a new system which allows ATSC digital television receivers to download firmware upgrades and software patches sent out via digital television stations. The technology, under development by UpdateLogic since 2004, was completed in 2006, and will be in TV sets by the 2007 model year. Many major manufacturers have licensed the standard, which works within the ATSC A/97 (Software Data Download Service, or SDDS) protocol, and will be datacast by National Datacast on PBS TV stations across the United States. It is also working with cable TV companies to make sure that the datacasts are also passed to their customers.

Updates for various models will be scheduled ahead of time at the request of each manufacturer, and as long as the tuner is plugged-in at the time the UpdateTV software will wake and receive it. UpdateTV does not notify, or allow the user to give consent to install the software on their TV.[1] There is still no information regarding what happens if the update is missed due to a power outage, being unplugged (such as to prevent lightning damage while a resident is away, or perhaps being in storage), or due to data corruption or data loss caused by interference or weak signal strength in rural areas or mountainous terrain.

The software is distributed to station servers via the Internet.

Here is their site with their description of the service;
http://www.updatelogic.com/network-television.html

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I've been maintaining a list on my site, but it's pretty incomplete at this point. Too many PBS stations to check through.

- Trip

·
Registered
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a service that has been out for a couple of years, it appears there isn't any interest here.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Interesting - I didn't realise there was a US standard for this.

Over here in the UK, the BBC have operated something very similar for many years (called the Engineering Channel I think) which runs a scheduled receiver firmware/software OTA update schedule, allowing manufacturers to roll out receiver updates for set-top boxes and IDTVs to fix bugs and support new additions or upgrades to the UK DTT system.

It has worked really well - and a lot of manufacturers use it (and thus provide support for it in their receivers)

Some receivers will search automatically for an update when in standby (just as some will search for new services or line-up changes when in standby), whilst others need to be forced to search. In most cases the choice to install new software is optional - the automatic search just makes you aware that there is an update.

Rather than all updates being sent out continuously, manufacturers book blocks of time to broadcast their updates, which can mean if you've bought a box that has been on the shelf for a while you have to wait for a few weeks for the upgrade to be broadcast.

·
Registered
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems to be a well kepted secret here including this forum since after doing a serach, nothing came up for UpdateTV or UpdateLogic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I recently "discovered" this capability existed for TVs when investigating what Sony refers to as the Broadcast Download service in their XBR Owner Manuals. When I checked whether my TV had received an update and was waiting for me to apply it, None Available was given as status. Sony's tech support site mentions only two ways to update--both based on using a USB stick.

I'll be watching for more info while I dig around for the tidbits available now. I'm particularly curious how/if they'll ensure the integrity of the update so users don't brick their equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts