AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum ... thanks in advance to any help

about 10 years ago I helped my dad assemble his home theater system...which includes

Fujitsu 50 inch plasma

Sonus Faber 5.1 surround speakers

Rotel receiver

Classe amplifier

as time has gone on and we've implemented mac computing systems and newer plasmas in the house, I've bought AppleTV's for a few rooms and we all LOVE it for streaming movies and netflix and such.

None of our current home theater gear has HDMI inputs (which the AppleTv runs on) and we're thinking of updating our gear (Tv, Receiver).

In your opinion, is it necessary to replace the receiver, tv, and possibly amplifier to pieces that have HDMI capability? As of now, the pieces only have Component, Composite and DVI capabilities.

We're not looking to break the bank AT ALL and definitely can get by with consumer or prosumer level products.

Just wanted to get some direction on where to look or what to look for in regards to equipment.

At the time, we spent A LOT of money on this gear but it's seemingly out of date with the things we now want to do (AppleTv and integration with all our apple products...iPads, iPhones, etc).

I was looking at some Onkyo receivers at around $600 and some other products ... but it seems a shame to have to just get rid of this VERY expensive equipment we have now (Rotel, Classe').

thanks for ANY advice.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
So what are you missing that you need? If you don't have a Blu-ray player in the mix, look at used players from ~2011 that will have Netflix support and component video output.

Otherwise, you're looking at replacing the TV to get the digital inputs - and certainly if the plasma is 10 years old, while that was an awesome piece in its day, would be the first thing to upgrade. You could then run video to the display and digital audio to the Rotel - but will be limited to the codec support within that unit (likely DTS and DD5.1). Back on the BD player, a better 2011 player with on-board DTS-MA decoding and a 5-channel analog output would be a good choice...

After that, replacing the Rotel with a pre/pro like the Integra or Marantz units to retain the use of the Classe would be my advice. The Sonus Faber speakers should stay as well!

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff,

great response! thanks!

My plasma probably needs to be replaced in order to get digital inputs (HDMI from the AppleTv and AT&T UVerse).

My question really is ... does my Rotel need to be replaced as well? I think it has Lightpipe audio inputs but no HDMI inputs. So, for the AppleTv per se, would I send HDMI to my plasma, then digital audio via lightpipe to the Rotel for the audio?

I have the Rotel for the receiver and the Classe for the amp for my surround ... would I be DOWNGRADING if I got rid of the Rotel and the Classe and replaced it with ONE piece of gear (a receiver with an amp built in)?

These pieces were very very good quality at the time and I don't wanna trash them if they're can still be used and/or they're too valuable to not use.

At this point, my 3 main focuses are

1. Watching TV (AT&T UVerse)

2. AppleTv for streaming from my computer and Netflix

3. Possibly DVD or BluRay watching

At this moment, I have ZERO hdmi capability in any of my current pieces (Receiver, Plasma, Audio Amplifier).

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I just did a google search for HDMI switch with audio so no idea of the quality but here is one that came up.
http://www.meritline.com/hdmi-switcher-toslink-coaxial-audio-stereo---p-56324.aspx

The switch or matrix is a great way to keep older audio gear and still have the ability to use HDMI of video. I am still use 2:1 so just using a matrix to switch inputs amongst 2 different displays. Hope this is helpful.

Please note a HDMI switch is just that, multiple input and one output, a matrix lets you send any input to any output so you could have 3 displays with the same input or any combination of inputs all at the same time

However I think for you purpose a Switch with the proper audio output for your gear is all you would need since you only have one display

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Does that Fujitsu plasma have a DVI input? That would at least give you a solution for the digital video-only products, as a DVI-to-HDMI cable is a simple adapter...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the model numbers of the current setup

Plasma: Fujitsu P50XHA10US

Receiver: RSP-1066

Amp: Classe CAV 180

The Fujitsu does have DVI inputs.

Another huge headache is the remote controlling ability. We had a hand held color screen touch screen remote that cost about 1k but never worked right. We dont have any way to control every piece of gear at the moment and have to walk over and manually turn every piece on individually.

We tried RedEye ... but that system isn't great.

The issue is that the Tv is mounted on the wall and the components aren't in direct shot of the tv. They're housed in a cubby about 90 Degrees and 15 feet away from the viewers perspective of the Tv.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaskruse  /t/1471781/updating-a-10yr-old-quality-system-need-some-serious-tips#post_23292361

Here's the model numbers of the current setup

Plasma: Fujitsu P50XHA10US

Receiver: RSP-1066

Amp: Classe CAV 180

The Fujitsu does have DVI inputs.

Ok, with a DVI input, you've essentially got HDMI, although anything with HDCP copy protection will probably not work (IIRC that came later, so pre-HDMI sets wouldn't have the support). Hooking up a few HDMI devices to it though is certainly worth a try.
Quote:
Another huge headache is the remote controlling ability. We had a hand held color screen touch screen remote that cost about 1k but never worked right. We dont have any way to control every piece of gear at the moment and have to walk over and manually turn every piece on individually.

We tried RedEye ... but that system isn't great.

The issue is that the Tv is mounted on the wall and the components aren't in direct shot of the tv. They're housed in a cubby about 90 Degrees and 15 feet away from the viewers perspective of the Tv.

Lots of ways to solve this, either with a Harmony or other universal remote with RF, or a wired IR repeater. All of this assumes you can run cables to the TV.

Get yourself an HDMI-to-DVI cable so you can experiment:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2405&seq=1&format=2

or just an adapter for one end of any HDMI cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

If that works, then an HDMI switch would be by far the cheapest solution without replacing any gear, except the remote which you obviously need to deal with!

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So toda I went out and purchased 74 dollars worth of optical cable and HDMI to DVI adapter and voila! AppleTv works. On my living room theater!!

Saved me thousands on upgrades!

Now my ultimate bottleneck is remote controlling. I have 4 remotes and have to calculate exponential trigonometry to switch from AppleTv to Satellite Tv.

I'll check out the above links for a solution.

Would like to be able to program 1 button solutions for all my gear.

The house is also wired to be able to play music throughout the house ... Wondering if said remotes can control the Rotel to access ALL possible functions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI,

Anyone know of a remote that's easy enough for a mom to use?

I'm setting this up at my parents house and they'd like 1 remote for everything. Easy and simple to use. I've heard the harmony are somewhat of a pain. Unless they've advanced in the past few years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to be able to switch inputs on my tv and receiver to go back and forth from AT&T to AppleTv to DVD etc.

Doing so requires tv to switch to dvi inputs and receiver to optical audio inputs.

Is there a programmable remote where you can program multi actions to happen with just 1 button?

Example: Have a button that says "Watch Tv" and it turns on all components and switches tv to satellite input and receiver to a certain input?

·
Registered
663 Posts
first suggestion: get something that outputs RF so you don't have to "aim" the remote at anything, especially if you are running a "macro" command with multiple steps to multiple devices. The RF receiver will have the traditional IR emitter outputs or an IR blaster, or both.

Look at URC RFS200 power pak or Logitech equivalents.

Plan on doing lots of trial runs of button presses to get timings correct between commands, but what you want to do shouldn't have to break the bank if you have some time.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaskruse  /t/1471781/updating-a-10yr-old-quality-system-need-some-serious-tips#post_23293982

The RF vs IR makes sense in regards to aiming. But don't my components receive IR signal and not RF?

The RF remote is paired with an RF receiver that you place with the equipment, which receives the radio signal from the remote and uses IR emitters placed in front of the equipment to blast them with IR...

And +1 for ease-of-use on the Harmony. Switching inputs on a receiver separately from the TV is not "complex" in this context. Those will be the easiest for non-tech folks to use, the RF makes it take much easier and solves some of the complaints about Harmony (that their macros are slow so you have to keep them pointed...).

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found my old Rotel RR-969 remote and successfully programmed all my components to it till I can get my hands on a harmony or other RF remote.

Problem is, the components are still in odd locations so controlling the components from viewing seated position isn't easy.

Is there an IR repeater or transmitter that I can implement with this remote so I can successfully contro TV and components from my viewing position?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaskruse  /t/1471781/updating-a-10yr-old-quality-system-need-some-serious-tips#post_23297190

I found my old Rotel RR-969 remote and successfully programmed all my components to it till I can get my hands on a harmony or other RF remote.

Problem is, the components are still in odd locations so controlling the components from viewing seated position isn't easy.

Is there an IR repeater or transmitter that I can implement with this remote so I can successfully contro TV and components from my viewing position?

Yes, any IR repeating system can run multiple emitters with wires to reach the front of each component... I have a few >25' emitter runs in my theater.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Xantech, one of the pioneers of the IR repeater recommends not exceeding 50' using 18/2 to extend the emitter wiring, up to 300' with amplified units.

Receivers can be extended to the following lengths: 24 gauge (Cat5) up to 200’, 22 gauge up to 600’,

20 gauge up to 2000’, 18 gauge up to 5000’. shielded cable is not required.

I would be very cautious of IR receiver placement around your plasma display. Stray IR emissions may overload the remote receiver if not properly filtered (by design, search "Plasma proof IR receiver") or by placement.

Congrats, sounds like you're making great progress.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.