AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
Good points and makes some sense. That said, I’m vain and if I had mismatched or hodge lodged LCR, it would bug me I think:). Besides, sometimes a person just wants a change to see what else is out there....that said, my vons are singing right now:)
Why not just keep the Vons, if your wife will relent and allow you a second PSA sub? :devil:

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you are using room correction then the AVR will essentially timbre match for you and having matching speakers isn't that big of a deal. I don't really like room correction that much so I do prefer something that sounds similar when room correction is off but if you like Audyssey then get whatever center you want and go from there. Only upgrade the rest as needed.
If you want a matching center for aesthetics, I totally get that. I'm the same way.
That's one, VERY loud, person. Please stop with this horrible advice.
With the OP's budget, there is no reason NOT to get a matching LCR. By all accounts, Revel makes very good 3-way WT/MW centre channels.
Please explain (if you can) your comment I bolded.

If my advice is horrible...then why didn't you comment on badtic's post?

Oh.....I believe there was another member who recently had a 6K budget....increased his budget to 10K, got the Revel Be's.....and wasn't thrilled.

Laugh all you want, but the OP is spending more on one loudspeaker that you did for your whole 5.1 setup.
What you use is good for you, I'm happy that you're happy. But in this thread, you comments are nothing more that trolling. Perhaps you should limit yourself to the modest-budgeted posters that you help so well. Those of us who have been privileged to afford better setups don't need to read your "any surrounds will do, timbre-matching is fake news, Atmos is lousy, etc" garbage.
Wow....your a Moderator? You seem a little confrontational to hold that position.

Looks like you tweeter got twisted again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Good points and makes some sense. That said, I’m vain and if I had mismatched or hodge lodged LCR, it would bug me I think:). Besides, sometimes a person just wants a change to see what else is out there....that said, my vons are singing right now:)
That's great...no reason to fix what isn't broken. How is the Von center?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lean Revel. I’m curious to hear your impression after trying them. You’ve had some great recommendations. In the end it will really come down to your preference. I wasn’t a fan of the SVS speakers. Love their subs, but not their speakers. I’ve come close multiple times on pulling the trigger on Salk or Ascend, but just never got there. When auditioning Golden Ear at dealers, I see the appeal. There is a lot of great things in the sound ... nice range and detail. It just isn’t my sound, always feels overly processed. Listening again to B&W 700 series at dEalers, the sound is great. It is very musical (maybe a touch warm) and has great detail. It is very forward in its presentation. Honestly there is nothing to complain about. I’ve even had the opportunity to spend some time with the 800 series at dealers and in my uncle’s 2 channel setup. B&W makes great speakers. But personally I prefer them for stereo, not home theater. The Revel just didn’t everything right for me. Presentation isn’t as forward as B&W, I feel like I’m in the 5th row. The sound feels supremely natural to me. Not a single complaint across the Concerta2, Performa3, PerformaBe, or Salon2. I’ve spent the most time with the Performa3 series daily in my current setup. I’m currently planning a new home theater build and am flipping back and forth between the Performa3 and PerformaBe. Best of luck. I look forward to hearing your impressions on what you try.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Why not just keep the Vons, if your wife will relent and allow you a second PSA sub? :devil:
Another sub will not happen due to room layout. There is no place to put it that it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb...what I have now is what I have:). Only thing would be to get a bigger (dual 18's?) sub, but that would be a stretch as they are a lot bigger than my current one...maybe a tube sub (SVS) could fit somewhere though?!?!

That's great...no reason to fix what isn't broken. How is the Von center?
I have felt it is the weak link for a long time, but Audyssey seems to have helped it...I know my mains are singing like never before. I am also going to try and angle my front down a bit (it is in nook above fireplace)...I think that alone might make a huge difference and honestly, dont know why I havent done that in the last 10 years?!?!? I ordered some of those rubber door stopper things to slightly angle it down to the listening position...wondering how that affects it?

I lean Revel. I’m curious to hear your impression after trying them. You’ve had some great recommendations. In the end it will really come down to your preference. I wasn’t a fan of the SVS speakers. Love their subs, but not their speakers. I’ve come close multiple times on pulling the trigger on Salk or Ascend, but just never got there. When auditioning Golden Ear at dealers, I see the appeal. There is a lot of great things in the sound ... nice range and detail. It just isn’t my sound, always feels overly processed. Listening again to B&W 700 series at dEalers, the sound is great. It is very musical (maybe a touch warm) and has great detail. It is very forward in its presentation. Honestly there is nothing to complain about. I’ve even had the opportunity to spend some time with the 800 series at dealers and in my uncle’s 2 channel setup. B&W makes great speakers. But personally I prefer them for stereo, not home theater. The Revel just didn’t everything right for me. Presentation isn’t as forward as B&W, I feel like I’m in the 5th row. The sound feels supremely natural to me. Not a single complaint across the Concerta2, Performa3, PerformaBe, or Salon2. I’ve spent the most time with the Performa3 series daily in my current setup. I’m currently planning a new home theater build and am flipping back and forth between the Performa3 and PerformaBe. Best of luck. I look forward to hearing your impressions on what you try.
thanks so much for all the great info and your experiences. It is much appreciated! I am pretty sure I will buy the 208's and try them in the home (I honestly dont think the 206's will be much above what I currently have) and go from there...90% of this is for movies and every day tv watching...we do watch a lot of movies with the kids, and I like my action movies, but its not like I sit and listen to music for hours. When I do listen to music, it is usually quite loud and I want/like a lot of dynamics in the sound (rock, metal, hair bands, classic rock, hip hop, etc). The Revels would be a step up in the looks department as they are a lot more sexy with the curves and the finish than my rather plain Vons. Will see what happens...thanks again to all of you for the info and sharing your thoughts!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Will be running Denon 4500 with Emo XPA 5 channel amp (200rmsx5)
Curious....how were you powering the Vons before the Denon vs now with respect to the Emo XPA?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Curious....how were you powering the Vons before the Denon vs now with respect to the Emo XPA?
Power is the same...Emo XPA 200 watts going to each channel fed from an Onkyo AVR is the old setup. Difference is Onkyo and its room correction and the new Denon with Audysssey multieq32...thats the only thing I have changed. I cant tell yet on the center, but the mains are sounding better without a doubt...will know more about the center as we watch some more movies with it (when I do listen to music I do so in 2 channel mode with the sub also)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Power is the same...Emo XPA 200 watts going to each channel fed from an Onkyo AVR is the old setup. Difference is Onkyo and its room correction and the new Denon with Audysssey multieq32...thats the only thing I have changed. I cant tell yet on the center, but the mains are sounding better without a doubt...will know more about the center as we watch some more movies with it (when I do listen to music I do so in 2 channel mode with the sub also)
Fingers crossed that their is a positive improvement in the center too....and save yourself 5k. 😄

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
(when I do listen to music I do so in 2 channel mode with the sub also)
Yep, that's the ONLY way to listen to music properly, imo ... fake upmixed surround is for the birds! :D

PS. Extra bonus is, it allows you to easily go with a radically mismatched center if needed.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
From what I’ve been reading on AVSFORUM, timber matching isn’t necessary.
:eek: Not sure what you've been reading, but timbre matching the front 3 is VERY important for the correct sound.

Reactions: craig john

·
Registered
17,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Perhaps he's come across threads like this (start with post #19 ):
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3146268-emotiva-c2-stock.html

There are many more threads like that. I should have thought to save them as they came up, and will start to do so herewith.
Yeah, well, that only means they have no clue what they are listening for. They are just happy there is sound. But if you can't distinguish between matching speakers and unmatched speakers, with different crossover points, you just care if the sound is loud and or thumps. Any speaker will 'work' with any other speaker, but it won't sound correctly throughout the frequency spectrum. It. Just. Ain't. Gonna. Happen. ;)

Reactions: craig john

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
Yeah, well, that only means they have no clue what they are listening for. They are just happy there is sound. But if you can't distinguish between matching speakers and unmatched speakers, with different crossover points, you just care if the sound is loud and or thumps. Any speaker will 'work' with any other speaker, but it won't sound correctly throughout the frequency spectrum. It. Just. Ain't. Gonna. Happen. ;)
Ok, I get it: you're right, and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. Simple. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Fingers crossed that their is a positive improvement in the center too....and save yourself 5k. 😄
I am hoping so, because the plans to get a wakeboat have accelerated rapidly (test drove a couple Friday)...I need all my pennies if I am going to pick one of those up sooner than expected:eek:

I am going to rerun audyssey and angle the center down a bit and watch some movies, etc over the next week or so and see how it goes. For music, the VR2 Vons are singing:)

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
I am going to rerun audyssey and angle the center down a bit and watch some movies, etc over the next week or so and see how it goes. For music, the VR2 Vons are singing:)
And IF you find the Vons center to be unsatisfying after all your efforts, here is where I would suggest experimenting with a mismatched center in order to keep the VR2s, as well as get that wakeboat sooner rather than later. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
And IF you find the Vons center to be unsatisfying after all your efforts, here is where I would suggest experimenting with a mismatched center in order to keep the VR2s, as well as get that wakeboat sooner rather than later. :)
agreed...no chance I am spending 5k on speakers, when I need a significantly higher amount to get into a new Nautique...will see what happens here..fingers crossed on the existing setup!

·
Registered
730 Posts
:eek: Not sure what you've been reading, but timbre matching the front 3 is VERY important for the correct sound.
If I bought the Revel Performa3 F208's for my L&R, the matching centers in this series are the C205 & C208.

If I were to use the PerformaBe C426be instead of the C205 or C208.....would this violate Timbre's Law?

·
Premium Member
12,394 Posts
If I bought the Revel Performa3 F208's for my L&R, the matching centers in this series are the C205 & C208.

If I were to use the PerformaBe C426be instead of the C205 or C208.....would this violate Timbre's Law?
You can figure it out yourself. Find some on- and off-axis measurements for the various CC's and see how close they are to measurements for the L/R's. The closer they are, the better the timbre-match. If you would like some help interpreting the measurements, bring them here and we'll help you.

Or, listen to each of them in combination with the L/R's and choose the one that sounds most like the L/R's.

Craig

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts

Probably be close enough you won’t be able to tell.

I use a Voice2 with the PerformaBe series without problems

41 - 60 of 66 Posts