AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I don't know if I'm in the correct forum -- but I'd like some advice and suggestions regarding how to best connect my home theater "components" to my Niles ICS.

Here is my situation.

I have a Niles ICS (6 zone, 6 source) system. It has served me very well for 7+ years.

I would like to add Pandora.

I have just about decided that the best way to do this is to take my one unused source slot, add a simple Audio card, then connect my "Home Theater" center to that audio card. The Home theater has music source from AT&T, Pandora, iTunes Radio, etc. Obviously this solution would not give me "key pad control" of the Home Theater sources . . . that seems to be the one downside. But i have traditional key pads everywhere anyway . . . so if I got the Pandora (IM card) link through Elan/Niles . . . I'd also have to replace my keypads throughout the house to have Pandora control anyway.

This solution gives me the added utility of also being able to play the TV through my in ceiling speakers should I desire to do that.

My AVR has a "zone 2" out . . . so we could still have two sources (kids watching TV while my wife and I are listening to Pandora in the kitchen). Right?

Ok -- so here are my questions:

1. Does anyone want to argue for a different solution that what I've proposed?

2. If I do connect my AVR to the audiocard on Niles, what is the best connection (given they are across the room). Is it critical to hard wire them (requiring expensive under-the-house cabling)? Or will a wireless connection work well? Which wireless connection?

Thanks all!

M

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Sonos Connect would be a better choice, as you'd be able to easily control it (browse and select music) throughout the house from any mobile device. The Sonos also has a line-in that you could use for your TV audio (since you said you've only got one open source left on the ICS).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sonos connect? I'll go study this. I think you are suggesting to make this a "source" in my ICS system . . . controlled through the sonos interface from anywhere in my house.

I'll check this out.

Thanks

M

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1263  /t/1525143/updating-my-niles-ics#post_24551086

Sonos connect? I'll go study this. I think you are suggesting to make this a "source" in my ICS system . . . controlled through the sonos interface from anywhere in my house.

Correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts