AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figure since I had replaced everything else in the room, got myself a new Ames Chair, couch, carpet, and tables, I thought it was about time to update and upgrade the audio/visual department of the room. The room is my general purpose room, TV, games, and movies. I thought I'd run the plans by you guys, since I don't know much about TVs and such. Here is a sketch of the room. It is a 15x10 room, that has old built in wood bookshelves. I am planning to purchase a Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ800U for the room, and I will have a 360, HDTV Cable Box, and PS3 plugged into it. They will all be connected to the TV via HDMI. I am planning on getting some sort of surround sound, either a traditional system or a soundbar. I was wondering what yall thought of this set up. I also was wondering if an AV receiver would be necessary/recommended for this set up. Sorry for all the questions, but I am new at this.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Hello and welcome,

First a few questions. What is your budget? Where are you planning on putting the TV and are you up to rearranging the room? I am taking a guess that the black rectangle on the table is where your planning on putting the TV? If you are looking for a neat or minimalist approach a sound bar may be the answer, however I don't care what anyone tells you, you don't get true surround sound out of one sound bar. If you can go the full surround sound route and yes you will need an AV receiver to power it all.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh, Yah the black line is the TV. I knew I forgot to label something. Thanks for the advice on the soundbar and the information on the AV receiver. I think I'll hold of on the AV receiver and the surround sound until later this year. I was prepared to pay for the surround sound, but the AV receiver is added cost I forgot about. I will just wait till later this year until I can get topflight everything. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.