AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Best bang for the buck, high end or reference speakers

I have a dedicated room, fully insulated and enclosed in my basement, 18x25 for my home theatre(50%) and audio room(50%). I recently traded my Marantz sr6006 for a Yamaha Adventage 2040 due to Networking issues. When I listened to the Yamaha at Magnolia, it was quite a bit brighter than the Marantz through both the B&W 10s and the Martin Lawrence. I am ok with the sound in my room after calibration and a little tweaking but always want better. My current 7 channel setup is Tannoy s10's, sc8 center, M&k, sub and surround with B&W satellites in the rear. I don't have much selection in Audio shops unless I travel to Denver so I thought I would ask question here. Is there any suggestions on a floor speaker pair and center that would be a substantial upgrade with the Yamaha 2040 over the Tannoys? Budget around 8k for the 2 plus a center. Will a reference speaker like KEF or similar make a substantial difference. Help appreciated.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
With an 8k budget, I would take the time to go and listen to as many speakers as possible. Folks can recommend their personal favorites, but your ears have to be the judge and that can only happen by personal listening sessions. Take the time to do it right, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
32,860 Posts
I have a dedicated room, fully insulated and enclosed in my basement, 18x25 for my home theatre(50%) and audio room(50%). I recently traded my Marantz sr6006 for a Yamaha Adventage 2040 due to Networking issues. When I listened to the Yamaha at Magnolia, it was quite a bit brighter than the Marantz through both the B&W 10s and the Martin Lawrence. I am ok with the sound in my room after calibration and a little tweaking but always want better. My current 7 channel setup is Tannoy s10's, sc8 center, M&k, sub and surround with B&W satellites in the rear. I don't have much selection in Audio shops unless I travel to Denver so I thought I would ask question here. Is there any suggestions on a floor speaker pair and center that would be a substantial upgrade with the Yamaha 2040 over the Tannoys? Budget around 8k for the 2 plus a center. Will a reference speaker like KEF or similar make a substantial difference. Help appreciated.
RBH SX-T3N:http://rbhsound.com/sxt3r.php
Call with questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts