AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use my DTC-100 exclusively for OTA/DILA reception. It came with Version 40b firmware(?) installed. I've read threads stating that Direct TV updates the RCA's firmware via satellite nightly, that all you need to do is hook it up overnight to someone's Direct TV satellite, and it will load the latest stuff automatically. No subscription needed. Can anyone confirm if this is still true, and that all I need to do is take the receiver to a dish, plug in the AC power and the coax from the satellite dish, let it sit for a night, then bring it back home, and I'll be updated?

I've have a friend with Direct TV, and I want to do this right, so that it creates minimum inconvenience for them. Thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
That should be true. The only side note being that the latest upgrade started in the beginning of November, so I don' t know if it is still being sent.

Maybe someone else has some insight.

I don't remember if 40b has the menu item about future upgrades; I think it does.

If it does, plug into the satellite dish and wait awhile (hour? less?) to see if there is an "upgrade announcement" in that menu section.

------------------

-Jr.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My understanding is that the latest update to the DTC100 is sent out daily until a future update is initiated and when that version is initiated, it will include all prior updates. You do not need a subscription - I'm not sure whether you even need an access card for just the receiver updates.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I took my DTC-100 over to my in-laws house two weeks ago. We plugged it into their 18 incher and then went to a movie. When we came back the update was listed in the future updates section. The next morning the update had gone through and all that was needed was a quick restart.

------------------

-TheMerk

·
Registered
45 Posts
The DTC100 will schedule updates twice a day. After the box has been on and in the stream for about 15-20 mins it will trigger the update. The update times are 4:30pm and 5:00am.

The box will schedule the update to the closest time available. So if it is 3pm it will try and update at 4:30. If it is 11pm it will schedule it for 5am. It will continue to do this until it is sucessful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It took me 4 tries to get my DTC-100 to update. The "Winning" combination was having the dish set to the correct type. It defaults to oval and I had to switch it to round. Having it turned on with the preview channel showing and be sure you don't interrupt it until a message comes up saying the upgrade is complete.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've heard stories about upgrades reverting back upon disconnecting from the dish. Is this right? I have the Mits and I am using it for OTA only. I assume that the next generation boxes will also update through the satelite, so I'm interested in what I will have to do to get updates.

-Brett

·
Registered
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bsd:
I've heard stories about upgrades reverting back upon disconnecting from the dish. Is this right?
Reverting back to a previous version of software? Not likely.

Once the upgrade has successfully taken place it is there until replaced by a new version.

------------------

-Jr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.