Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Are the 4000's upgradable?

I don't own a DVR so am unsure about how much recording time I will need/want. So, I will likely buy the 4040, but would like to know if it is easy to upgrade to one of the others. Is it an upgrade I could do (ie is the h/w the same apart from disks or whatever), or would it require the whole unit being replaced (involving costly shipping)? I am capable of upgrading a PC or other computer and so would rather do it myself.

Thanks.

Max.

·
Registered
133 Posts
No one knows yet. It will probably be a while before the new systems are 'hacked' and upgradeable. I'm sure they will be, but when?..... who knows.

I would look around for an HS2000 system somewhere. We know that is upgradeable. I upgraded mine to 100 hours with a 100Gb drive. And, you may be able to get one for around $200.

Good luck

Greg

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is one of the most commonly asked questions since the 4000's were announced.

Answer: Maybe. (yea, so helpful). [but only personal upgrading, not through SonicBlue]

Explaination: While there is another drive bay already in the units, Replay is not officially saying anything about it (since they don't condone the "hacking" of the units, and your warranty is void when you do so). They have not yet been released, so no one has even attempted it yet. No one even knows how much effort will have to go into it either. After all, if you are considering a 4000, then you already have a broadband connection, so someone may figure out a way to grab the videos directly from the replay instead and then you have more space that way.

Basically, if you are basing your decision on if it's upgradable, wait for the purchase. Because the previous units were not upgradable through Replay, all upgrade options were done by yourself and could be a really hassle to undertake. (esp when spending that kind of money......most of the people who "hacked" the old units had only done it with used units so they really weren't out alot if it failed.) You also have to keep in mind any manual upgrades would have to depend on someone figuring out how the new boxes work....which may take awhile.

I would be on the lookout to even have a hack that makes a 4000 see your PCs Hard drive as another place to record. (if your PCs network card and the Replay Network card can switch from 10 to 100 mind you.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.