AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded to Samsung PN64F8500 & a Denon AVR X-4000. Now looking to upgrade the speakers. My existing speaker setup is a Jamo A3 5.1 system. I'm willing to upgrade on a piecemeal basis if need be. My initial budget is $1K.

Any suggestions on what would be a significant upgrade to the Jamo within the $1K range?

Would it be money well spent to concentrate the $1K on the front and center speakers, keep the Jamo sub and use the remaining Jamo speakers as surrounds in a 7.1 system?

Any advice/recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
How big is your room?

Unless you have a huge room I would probably stay with a five speaker system.

There is extremely little 7.1 programming.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfan2  /t/1524945/upgrade-advice-on-sound-system#post_24546512

Would it be money well spent to concentrate the $1K on the front and center speakers, keep the Jamo sub and use the remaining Jamo speakers as surrounds in a 7.1 system?

Either that or return the receiver. You overspent on the electronics if your main concern is sound quality. A $500 receiver with the difference put toward speakers would have been the better choice.

Reactions: bladerunner6

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1524945/upgrade-advice-on-sound-system#post_24547477

Either that or return the receiver. You overspent on the electronics if your main concern is sound quality. A $500 receiver with the difference put toward speakers would have been the better choice.

I agree.

In fact, there is an argument to be made for the idea that returning the receiver and getting even something like an E400 on sale at Crutchfield for $350 and then spending the difference.

But no matter what, I do have to agree with the idea of returning the receiver if you can.

Cel has made a great point.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I suggest a pair of Monitor Audio BX-5 speakers and a Mpniptor Audio Bronze Center speaker.

That will cost around $1000 and be a huge improvement in sound quality.

You have a pretty good receiver; no point in taking a step backwards.

I suggest that you stick with a 5.1 system.

Your next investment should be $500-800 for a good subwoofer.

The NHT B12D is very good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My room is 12 x 25.

Thanks for the advice

I purchased the Denon x-4000 for a specific purpose. It will provide HDMI from a separate source into Zone 2. The Denon X-3000 will do that also but I got a good deal on the X-4000.

If I upgrade the fronts and center for $1K, I'll just continue to use the Jamo speakers in the back for the time being. The only reason I was going to 7.1 is that I'll have an excess of speakers and might as well use them. Based on what I've read, staying within the same brand/model is not as critical in the surrounds?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Definitely not as critical on the surrounds. Do that last after upgrading your subwoofer.

Check out the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE series . These would be a tremendous improvement over the Jamos.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've almost arrived at a configuration for the speaker upgrade:

E5Ci for the center $199

E55Ti Fronts $350 EACH

PB12-NSD $549 (OUTLET DEAL THR SVS FULL WARRANTY)

I would have like to go with a larger center speaker but my physical space (depth) is limited in the cabinet. Even the E5Ci depth of 7.75" is going to protrude about 1" beyond the cabinet open shelf.

So thoughts regarding the above config?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The e5ci is in my theater and does just fine (I have the smaller cousin to your towers, the e5ti). At worst, you may have to bump up the center a few dbs !

Btw, the EMP impression speakers are outstanding speakers for the money!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I could modify the cabinet, would do so in a heartbeat. The cabinet itself is probably 24" deep. However, on the only open shelf (directly below the TV) there is a vertical piece of wood dead center in this shelf (splits the old Jamo center channel directly in the middle) that extends from the back of the shelf and stops 6.75" from the front. I suppose it functions as support for the cabinet but it is frustrating. It can't be seen very well but there is a Playstation 3 next to the Jamo. I thought about sliding the center channel over where the Playstation 3 is sitting now so then I don't have a depth problem but I'm restricted to 17" in width. I think most the centers I've looked at are more than 17" wide. I thought about taking the glass doors off the bottom part of the cabinet but I know the wife will veto that. For the heck of it I attached an image below. Am I being obsessive? Yes.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Can you take a picture of the whole entertainment center so we can see better?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
How much height do you have for the center? You can always just use a regular bookshelf speaker as a center in a horizontal configuration, depending on the model.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

image.jpg 124k .jpg file

Here is the entire system. Two piers on either side. A bridge goes over the top of the tv connecting the bridges and it's going to be close as to whether or not I can get the bridge back on top.

From reading, I gathered putting a center on top of the bridge (not shown in pic) wouldn't be a good idea? Too high?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The height is only 9". I've got 6.75" depth, 9" height. The width is approx. 34"

On either side of this middle brace, I've got 17" of width, 9" of height. Depth is not an issue because it is unrestricted to the back of the cabinet. I don't really see a 17" center out there except for the E5Ci. I'm wondering if the E5Ci is just a mismatch for the towers and maybe I should scale back to the bookshelf speakers that EMP offers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts