Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have decided that it's time to do an upgrade to my 1gig HTPC so that I can take better advantage of ffdshow. I have purchased a new MB and a P4-2.66 but I also need to snag a replacement for my Radeon 7200 and I would also like to go to a new case.

I have no issues with the 7200 but I would like to upgrade to get a DVI output because I also plan to upgrade my TV soon to a set that will have a DVI input. I have a spare 8500 dual head but I remember hearing that gamma was broken on the 8500, did this get fixed with the newest cat3.1 drivers. Or what would you guys suggest as the card to get, no gaming just DVD playback.

As far as teh case goes, I curently have the huge 4U rack mount tank from Digital Connections. I like the case alot, it's made to last forever but it's downright huge. Something 20 or 30% smaller would be better. Is the coolmaster atc-600 still a top rated choice....?

Any help here would be great....!

·
Registered
996 Posts
The broken gamma has been fixed for a while. I don't think there is any significant improvement of the Radeon cards (as far as HTPC is concerned) between the 7200 and 8500. One advantage of the 7200 is that it can be operated fanless. Check out the 9000 if you want DVI output.

As for cases, I just got the Digitalis Vision2 case and I like it. Also take a look at the Atech case. There are some threads on this board for those cases. Also look on DigitalConnection's web site as they have some other HTPC cases.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have the 8500DV AIW and the ATC-610. The case is great but I wished I saved $70 by going with the steel chassis version instead of aluminum. That is the ATC-620.

But, these are mATX motherboard cases so beware. There is an ATC-611 coming out that is ATX.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.